1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Have saints gone into limbo awaiting take over at end of season?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Beddy - it's one season out of the last four!!!! Stop panicking! There is always a chance this will happen. Nobody is settling for less yet.

Come on man!!

Archers Road likes this.
  2. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

No panic here brother promise you......Just having a moan!!

fatletiss likes this.
  3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Personally, I would much rather have a secure financial future, and be 10th in the league, knowing my club is being run in the long-term interests so I can still support that club, rather than blowing everything, being 1st in the league, but facing an uncertain financial future and the possibility of no club in the long-term.

But that's just me.

Channonfodder and ChilcoSaint like this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The only people likening us to WBA and Stoke are fans....I'm sure the board don't think like that. Their attitude seems to be that there are the big clubs (that we can't compete with financially) and then there is us.....and we have a cunning plan. :) Anyway mustn't sneer at any team....where were we a few years ago? Look at Leicester last season. WBA and Stoke could have an excellent season up their sleeves. What we are careful of is being boom or bust. I have no problem with being a good side waiting for their chance, but at no risk of administration.

fatletiss likes this.
  5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It's not just you.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  6. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I want it all and I want it now. Isn't that the modern mantra?

It seems many of our fans have lost a desire for more.

In this modern world standing still is going backwards and that is what has happened with the Saints.

Never settle for the status quo for that is the recipe for failure.

If you tell yourself you can't do something then you sure as hell will never do it.

There is far too much self satisfaction and complacency on this message board but that has always been the Southampton way.

7. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Do you really think we'd fill a 70,000 seater ? I'm pretty Saints optimistic but in my wildest dreams, I couldn't see us achieving that - even with being top of the PL.

8. fatletiss

No, not at all. Keep reading the thread and then you'll see.

9. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Then we need to change that to 20!

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

We can't even sell 29,000 for a cup semi final :)

11. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

What's the word? Poppycock? (Wonder what the spellcheck makes of that?<laugh>).
    Here's what I think. That the board, through good management and attention to detail, aim to get Saints as high up the league as it's possible to get BUT with club run in a sustainable manner. If thinking by this ok is complacency then guilt as charged. If this isn't good enough for you, then think about the implications. You want success so badly that you would be happy to see the club run in a not-sustainable way to achieve it. It's ok though, because we would be fine if we stayed in the CL year after year. Now, where have I heard that before? Oh yes, Leeds. And also check out the interview with Wenger a couple of months ago. When they moved to Emirates, he was told that they needed to qualify for the CL the following six years, every year, or they would be in the smelly stuff.

ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  12. fatletiss

They'd have had to move to Portsmouth?

Channonfodder likes this.
  13. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

There is a middle ground. It isn't simply sell all our best players to buy cheap ones or bust. It is perfectly valid to criticise the club for being overly cautious economically if this eventually leads to a fall off in results. The evidence this season is that under-spending has hurt us. Everyone on this board knew our front line wasn't good enough, but the board did not stump up to improve it.

14. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I accept what you say, although I would add a caveat that we don't know who we tried to sign but couldn't seal the deal.

Saintharry13 likes this.
  15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Unless we're likely to be sold, at which point that money doesn't go toward securing the club's financial future; it merely inflates the sale price. If anything, it harms our financial future, because more of the purchaser's resources have to go into KL's pockets.

16. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Go and wash your keyboard,too much swearing on here these days!<laugh><laugh>

17. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Well, according to the board and the manager? Nobody.

18. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

That could have been saving face after the event though.

19. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

But we also wanted to see the Academy lads brought forward. How can you do everything, all the time? You can argue that we should have bought another striker and with the benefit of hindsight it's a good shout, but few expected our goals to be in such short supply with Long, Jayrod and Austin on board.

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Plenty expected goals to be in short supply with Long, Jay and Austin up front. There were, like, 50 pages of "surely, we need another striker?" in the summer transfer thread.

And the Academy kids really have little to do with that up front. We had no youth strikers who were going to make an impact this season...Gallagher's on loan for the duration, and Seager is returning from a catastrophic injury and wasn't going to play any football until the new year. The sum total of our youth used in any attacking position thus far in the league is the 131 minutes Sims has gotten, and he's only getting named to the squad when we're short multiple attackers...the match following Redmond's red is the only time he has been in the eighteen for a league match in over a month.