1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gudjohnsen

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, May 5, 2011.

1. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

What exactly would be stopping us from getting a younger striker too? We're not the kind of team that can throw 10m+ after a journeyman like Kenwyne Jones, we need to buy a striker and develop them. In the meantime we can plug in Eidur, who I think has the right kind of ethic for our team. He was an idiot to go to Stoke, I think he realises that now!

As long as we ship out EJ & Kamara, we've plenty of room for other strikers.

3. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Gudjohnson is a legit backup for Bobby Z, without whom we suffered badly last fall. He's big and he holds up the ball well. He's got amazing touch - never realized that until watching him recently. With Europe on the horizon again, I say 'why not?'

Sounds like Andy Johnson might be headed to WBA, so adding speed up front would be at the top of my to do list, too, along with finding quality for left and right backs.

- I was thinking of throwing in a joke about blonds, racial quotas and Gudjohnson (see the French scandal), but one never knows how those things go over.

4. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

dont thnk much of Eidur, but tbh he is better than most of our other options in reserve, behind BZ and AJ. Permanent deal wouldn't e spectacular, but i would take it as long as it isn't an excuse not to buy another striker!

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see Gudjohnson stay, and agree that we need someone else as well. As Gilly says on another thread, it looks like Gudjohnson is staying and he provides cover for Bobby. I'd still like to see us sign another goalscorer to partner Bobby. We've been linked to Ntsama at Young Boys (about whom I know very little) and Scott Sinclair at Swansea. If SS is ready to step up to the Premier League, that could be an interesting signing.

But that's all just newspaper talk. We'll just have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

6. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I'm happy about this. Of course, he's the wrong side of 30 etc. but if he's happy to be used mainly as a sub or backup to BZ then it's a good move. Other than a glaring miss against Bolton, I've been impressed with him so far. One of the things we've lacked recently is strength in depth up-front, which was exposed at the end of last season and much of this with Zamora & Johnson injured. A number of our reserve strikers have simply not been up to Premier League standard: Kamara, E. Johnson, Nevland & Elm to name 4. If a player of Gudjohnsen quality is available on a free and happy to be a squad player, then we've got to snap him up.

I've only just caught up with the speculation about AJ going to West Brom. Sorry to see him go, but 3.5m for an injury prone 30 year old with a year left on his contract would be good business.

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I saw it. There isn't anything stopping us getting a younger striker in, of course, but we need to clear out the deadwood first. I wasn't suggesting that we throw 10m at a journeyman, I'm not entirely sure where that's been conjured from. I do hope we get someone young in and get shot of EJ and Kamara. Maybe Dalle Valle could step up? Or is it too early?

8. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Bidley, my point is more that we can't buy a ready made striker with our finances. We need a young guy to develop, and having Gudjohnsen as an alternative would certainly remove a bit of pressure from any young striker we introduce.

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Bidley, I think there's more chance of Danny Hoesson stepping up next season than Dalla Valle. He's been on loan at Bournemouth and I managed to see him play once for them, as well as talking to regular Bournemouth watchers. He's made a good impression and looks like a good finisher, but needs to develop the physical side of his game. My best guess from what I've seen and heard is that a loan spell, maybe in the Championship, next season is more likely than breaking into our first team. I wouldn't write him off though, far from it, but I don't think next season will be his year with us.

Not that any of that means I think Hoesson is ready - I have no information on that, other than him making the bench against Sunderland - merely that I don't think Dalla Valle is. Shame, as I was hoping his loan at Bournemouth might show us otherwise.

10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Good points Surlyc, and ones I've agreed with from the off. I meant to say I hope this doesn't stop Sparky getting a young striker in that we can groom for the future.

Captain, some good info there. Lets hope he gets some game time at a Championship club next season. I'd rather see us sign an unknown than get a guy in on loan from a bigger club, to be honest.

11. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Genuinely pleased. He's a free so it's not like we are spending loads of money on him and leaves us with no room for movement on other strikers.

Can only help the strength of the squad.

12. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

exactly- nothng wrong with a solid free transfer as long as wages aren't too extreme-
    Who should we be looking to buy in the summer? Wingbacks for me- midfield s very solid, so maybe an addition up front and a new keeper to replace the prodigious schwarzer- or back up stockdale

13. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't realise he was free - a good move, then!

14. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

Bidley- the word "free" in the article you posted give that away :)

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, I feel silly enough without you pointing it out Gilly :p

16. frogman27

frogman27 Member

This is an interesting one. When he arrived I felt that he was probably beyond his best years and unfit. Most Stoke fans said he was not playing because he could not shift the weight. His first games were largely unimpressive but he has convinced me recently that he can do a job for us. It is clear to see that he is enjoying himself at the Cottage and with time is fitting into our style of play really well. He is never going to outrun players but his knowledge of the game and ability to find space and time is really good. Whilst I would love to see some young players, Gudjohnsson deserves another year.

17. AmDFFC

AmDFFC New Member

Hes played for Barca and Chelsea, even Stoke fans admitted Pulis was being a mug by not utilising him! On a free I think its a great deal..Been very impressed with him so far!