1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guardian - An afternoon with Stan Bowles.....

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nice piece about the great man....

Wouldn't it be nice if the current squad donated say £1000 each to pay for the policing etc of a testimonial so that it can take place sooner rather than when it's too late......

The smile has not changed, as puckish as it always was; nor has the mischievous glint in Stanley Bowles’s sea-blue eyes. I remember it all like yesterday, when Bowles bedazzled football, weaving, winding through a humiliated defence yet again, in the hoops of Queens Park Rangers, atop the league, back in the 1970s.

Read the rest here......

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/08/stan-bowles-qpr-alzheimers-memories

2. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Tramore. A sad, tear jerking read that brings home how terrible that disease is.
    Funnily enough it answered a query me and a mate discussed last night, as we were both certain we went to a testimonial at Griffin Park for Stan in the 80's, but we really couldn't remember when exactly....I reckon it must be the match in 1987 that they mention....and I think Stan scored a penalty in a 3-3 draw....happy memories of one of our true legends,

Kilburn and Tramore Ranger like this.
  3. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

All the more sadder when you hear the vast amounts of money players get today

Staines R's likes this.
  4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Is there any way there players could be approached via the club captain? If they realised how strong the affection is for Stan I would have thought that they would gladly donate.

5. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting Tramore, a sobering read indeed. I feel privileged to have witnessed so many Stan genius moments first hand, and nearly pulling off the league title in '75 being the pinnacle of what was a formidable side. I've not liked Liverpool since!
    There was a similar article in the Sun several months back and it really does ram home how fragile we all are and totally unaware of what hand fate will deal us.
    I sincerely hope that the club can sort something out, if it is to be a benefit match I will be there without a doubt.

QPR Oslo and Tramore Ranger like this.