1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Greatest game

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Miketyson2007, May 15, 2011.

1. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Done to death over at the other place but worth another posting so for the record my top 4 in no particular order

The Leeds play off 1n 1987 at st Andrews...so emmotional and the win saved our club in my view.
    The 1st game back at the valley in 1992 great occassion great day and colin powell scored the goal...also paul walsh playing for pompey that day a bit of a hero of mine during his time at the valley.
    The plymouth game this season...odd choice but the atmosphere greeting CP was brilliant,yes its gone abit pear shaped but that day will live in the memory.
    Finally the greatest ever wembley final V Sunderland amazing topsy turvy rollercoaster ride and the perfect ending..
    Over to you.

2. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

In no particular order my 5 are :

Beating Bolton back in the early 80s to stay up when we had to win but a draw was good enough for them

Beating Liverpool - Lisbie's hatrick

The 4-4 Millwall game - amazing atmosphere

Sending Palarse down

Oh yeah .... and a certain game at wembley where alot of us witnesses the miracle not of Mendonca's hatrick .... But Rufus' first goal

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Vs. Coventry when CP came on and scored was magic. Any victory over Chelsea either the 4-0 when their fans tried to burn down the stand or the 4-2 -on boxing day will do.
    The Blackburn game when Friedel scored in stoppage time then Jensen scored a sublime volley, curling it round Friedel with the outside of his foot.
    The 0-0 away to Orient when we needed the point to stay up and our best players had been sent to America for a few $'s.
    Wembley of course!

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Vs man utd... 3-3. So many things come to mind. Full debut for Bartlett and he scored 2, gigs shooting from the halfway line and hitting the bar, John robinsons celebration.

Vs west ham.. 4-4. Took a school friend and I remember walking from the macro car park saying I hope we get a high scoring game. Couldn't prepare for it- especially jermain defoe playing the pantomime villain, scoring to make it 4-3 before JJ scored the overhead kick in the 90th min. Sat in the east stand, I'm caught on sky celebrating it.

Play off final- need I say more?

5. houndal

houndal Member

Losing at home to Swindon - meaning Parky got sacked<party>

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

H, you are getting as bad as A2C with this Mr Parkinson thing! YELLOW CARD - wass your name son?

<laugh>

7. houndal

houndal Member

Sorry Allhell - I am taking the tablets, promise<wah>

8. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

FHB the orient away game...I remember it well wsnt it postponed once or twice due to waterlogged pitch...what year was it I was a kid yes thanks for that memory.We took over the ground that nigt.

9. blockmaddick

blockmaddick Member

one i particularly remember was a home game against norwich in 1997, we were 4-2 down in the 90th minute with 10 men, and then carl leaburn and jason lee scored, amazing.

10. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Sorry, picking up on this one late.

Firstly, my favourite game of all time.

CAFC 4 - 3 Brighton & Hove Albion - To and fro for the entire game with Peter Ward at his absolute best, like a bionic, bubble permed whippet - two chances, two goals both with runs from the half way line. About two minutes from time, the rarest of rarities to win it, a Colin Powell header struck with immense power on the run and he just clung to the barrier fencing like a human fly. Wonderful game.

Then, in no particular order -

Watford 2 - 2 CAFC - Blissett, Jenkins(?) and Barnes sweeping all before them on their way to the old first division and two up in 20 minutes. Held out until half time and were kicking towards us second half - boy, did we set up a racket - never heard anything like it before or since. Time dims the memory, but we scored just on the hour (forget who) and as the racket grew and grew we got a corner and under extreme pressure from Hales, a Watford player stuck it in his own net and I thought the roof was going to cave in. Drove home with my ears ringing like I'd been to a rock concert.

CAFC 5 - 2 Halifax - Killer's first game - we were two up in ten minutes and he and Arthur Horsfield were playing some psychic football, they got two each - a precursor for some great performances to come.

CAFC 0 - 0 Tranmere Rovers - the best goalless draw I ever saw, with ex-Liverpool stalwarts Ron Yeats (one of the best centre-backs who ever drew breath, for younger Addicks) and Tommy Lawrence marshalling the Tranmere defence, we huffed and we puffed all afternoon but couldn't break them down. Non-stop, breathless game.

Wembley - 'nuff said. And no, I don't mean the All-Members Cup Final...

A blissful Sunday afternoon at Highbury - ditto.

Finally, my first game - Boxing Day 1966 - CAFC 3 - 3 Norwich. Three down with 20 minutes to go and we just pressed and pressed until we drew level. Extraordinary comeback, unbelievable atmosphere and the trigger for a lifetime's support of this wonderful, frustrating and baffling club.