1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gonzo's Erection Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

* Record Points Total likes this.
  2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

UK biotech boasts Europe's best pipeline as Brexit threat looms
    By Ben Hirschler | LONDON
    Britain's biotech sector boasts the strongest new drug pipeline in Europe but industry leaders say it needs continued access to global talent, funding and regulatory clarity to thrive in the future - all of which could be jeopardized by Brexit.

A new report on Wednesday showed Britain was well ahead of rivals like Germany, France and Switzerland in terms of the number of experimental drugs in clinical development at early-stage biotech firms.

British biotech companies also topped the charts in venture capital financing, receiving more than a third of the total raised across Europe and more than any other European country, the report by trade group BioIndustry Association (BIA) found.

But there are serious challenges ahead, with sentiment cooling toward biotech investments after a record stock market run that peaked in 2015 and Britain's decision to leave the European Union by 2019 adding to anxiety.

"People, money, the future of science and medicines regulation are the big issues of Brexit - and it is all happening in a challenging timeframe," BIA chief executive Steve Bates told Reuters.

The BIA report showed a total of 1.13 billion pounds ($1.47 billion) was raised by UK-based biotech companies in 2016, down from an all-time high of 1.88 billion pounds in 2015.

Cash raised from initial public offerings (IPOs) was significantly lower at 105 million pounds, down from 307 million in 2015, and five out of the seven IPOs in 2016 happened before the EU referendum.

Venture capital funding, however, held up well, bolstered by inflows from veteran fund manager Neil Woodford, whose funds invested nearly half the 681 million pounds ploughed into the industry last year.

Significantly, Britain and non-EU member Switzerland accounted for 1.065 billion pounds of biotech venture funding in 2016, against 860 million for the rest of Europe combined.

Still, industry leaders are concerned at the potential loss of pivotal investment from the European Investment Bank and its European Investment Fund as a result of Brexit, leaving a funding gap that may have to be filled from inside Britain.
    • Another big Brexit worry is the future of drug regulation, with Britain set to leave the European Medicines Agency network, creating uncertainty over the approval of new medicines and the monitoring of existing ones in Britain.

"We need clarity on how medicines regulation is going to work post-Brexit and we would like to be closely aligned to the European system," Bates said.

Stricter immigration rules in Brexit Britain are a further headache for industry executives and investors, given biotechnology's reliance on global talent.

"Any Brexit settlement that limits our ability to recruit entrepreneurial scientists, physicians and leading biotech executives would have a devastating impact on the growth and success of the UK biotech sector," said Kate Bingham, managing partner at SV Health Investors.

Attached Files:

3. moreinjuredthanowen

the fact that airlines are threatening to end services to UK if no open skys agreed is added to risk to financial system and to science sector... and food prices says to me brexit is a very very bad idea and is designed to suit the very few oligarchs

4. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

5. Prince Knut

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Paxman has been rubbish with both leaders in the debate.

FedLadSonOfAnfield likes this.
  7. Prince Knut

Thought Victoria derbyshire skewered Dominic Raab this morning. 'Blah, blah, blah, debt we inherited from Labour....' , 'But what is the national debt now?', 'Well, er, I'm not really sure without checking', 'It's £1.7tn', 'Er, I mean the deficit is, er....' 'That was £1tn in 2010. It's risen by £700bn in seven years, hasn't it?'.

What she didn't say was that £500bn of that Labour debt was spent bailing the banks out in 2008. The Tories have got a lot of that money back by selling most of the banks back off, albeit at low prices to their backers in the City.

So seven years of austerity have got us...what? Another Tory PM making shady deals about healthcare and social services so that their spouse can make a nice million or two.

And all we've got is Corbyn. :embarrassed:

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    BobbyD, Tobes and Mr Beej like this.
  8. FedLadSonOfAnfield

The only possible reason I can think of for him still conducting political interviews for the BBC is because of his status, connections and being embedded in their institutional hierarchy. On all other levels he is a fetid cretin and a douchebag.

He is unnecessarily belligerent, pompous, obstructive and bullying which is completely counter-productive to the point of these type of interviews since the politicians aren't able to get a coherent and consistent point across without being cut-off, losing their train of thought and then having to immediately answer whatever new verbal assault he's launching at them.

Ultimately it becomes about him which is ridiculous since the whole nation's political landscape is riding somewhat on May/Corbyn's performance in tv appearances such as these. What a jerk.

BobbyD and luvgonzo like this.
  9. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Judging that on performance alone, leaving out any kind of political affiliation or bias and looking at it in terms of individual competence and political intelligence which are in some way the most important things in a PM ultimately, I thought Corbyn blew May out of the water tonight and I'm not even a Corbyn fan or a Labour voter.

He speaks to people as humans, or attempts to, even if this is perhaps partly from a prompt sheet (for that to still work on a human level shows some thought has gone into the prompting). May just speaks in meaningless, corny soundbites that come across like the front page of the Daily Mail. Again, I won't be voting for either of them.

Tobes and luvgonzo like this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

It seems to me that paxman took May apart last night.

Corbyn was promising the world and its mother to anyone who would take a bribe for a vote. that must be said. there was money for all issues and lots of it from him.

May was destroyed and Corbyn came across as reasonable...

IMO its quite a huge blow a week out for May. Its right bang at the time those with any thought of which way to go are deciding and she blew it.

However.............. I refuse to beleive those polls.

Oh and i agree on paxman. this is not a night show he hosts each week where he can badger people for meaningless answers. This is a major election debate/ leaders questions and he had to be a nuetral voice posing topics not a badgering my opinion matters most head.

but he still destroyed may.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It was noticeable that May talked about I and me when referring to virtually everything, while Corbyn talked about the party, and the general public.

May was wooden, and exposed. Paxman calling her a 'blowhard' was ****ing hilarious.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

yup. he really went after her on negotiations and said nobody in europe would take her seriously cos she backed down on her brexit stance to get party power.

the tories battle bus says may. corbyn is nowhere on the labour bus side.

I still don't believe the polls cos middle england will NOT elect corbyn

13. moreinjuredthanowen

as in these two

please log in to view this image

as middle england as you can get.... <laugh>

No ****ing way corbyn is getting votes after this last year.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

these peopel are the people who might vote corbyn if:

a) they can get off the sofa.

b) remember that liberals do actually have to vote you know. not just whine.

15. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The poll vote percentages will be right (within their error rates) but won't necessarily reflect the outcome, due to our crap electoral system where your postcode defines whether you have any form of meaningful say in the GE.

The Tories will hoover up enough of the Racist vote - sorry UKIP, in order to see them increase their majority. I doubt their core support will alter much, and I don't think it'll be the annihilation that many were predicting for Labour.

16. Prince Knut

nah, the above are Kippers if ever I saw them. probably have a home made gun as well.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

maybe so.... first past the post can turn a tihgt race itno a landslide

the issue for me is that with SNP in scotland labour simply cannot get enough seats nor can libs to even look threatening.

18. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Lol...this has to go down as the most incompetent Tory election campaign ....ever..

It really shouldn't be possible to make Corbyn look like a viable choice but they are managing it!

I'd be laughing my tits off if it didn't mean that utter clown as PM.

What happens if literally nobody votes lol? That would be hilarious

19. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

And what's this about 190k pensioners screwing the NHS if they come home from being ex pats because they'll no longer get free healthcare on the continent ...

**** em...they in all but name emigrated to spend their pensions outside of the UK ...they should be made to apply for citizenship again.

20. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Why won't Theresa debate ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.