1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Glenn Hoddle 58 Years Young Today

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by "Thanks for that Brian", Oct 27, 2015.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

58!!! That's got to be wrong, no? Turns out the most talented English footballer ever is 58 years old. Was it really 41 years ago he stuck one past Shilton at the old Victoria Ground?

The greatest goal I ever saw him score was against Bolton Wanderers in an FA Cup 3rd Round tie (1978 I think?). Right at the end of the game he bent one in from the touchline in front of the East Stand. Despite the ridiculous angle and the considerable distance from goal it was obviously in from the moment he hit it. I still get goosebumps now thinking about how damn good it was. It wasn't televised and so only the 52,000 (yup we were old 2nd Div and sold out a 3rd round game against another 2nd Div team from oop north!) saw it. Anyone else any personal memories of one of our favourite Sons?

Happy Birthday Glenn.
    P.S. You putting Michael Owen in his place on BT Sport is very much appreciated too!

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Our Twitter feed posted one of his highlights earlier:

Monaco's replied with a suitably brilliant one of their own:

Nice to see both clubs showing their respect for him on his birthday. <ok>
    One of the most watchable footballers that's graced the WHL pitch.

4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Have another one for good measure:

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

When I was about 11 he scored a brilliant volley against united one week and another v forest a few days later...think one was goal of the season for MOTD on BBC and the other was goal of the season with The Big Match on ITV.

But the most important was his free kick in the final of the fa cup in 1981...without his free kick hitting Tommy Hutchinson there'd have been no replay...and our history and fa cup history would be much poorer without that replay.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Cheers PNP
    That was a great little trip down memory lane

8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Was at the Cup Final. Terrible game and performance and Villa was awful, couldn't find a team mate all game. I was furious, briefly, that he was picked for the replay. Not for long mind.

Love the goal v Forest. Who says the long ball game can't be beautiful - didn't touch the ground.

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I remember him picking up the ball at the halfway line and waltzing through the opposing defence then body swerving the goalie the wrong way and tapping into the net.The Spurs bench were delirious.

I can also remember the tall gangly,long haired,long legged lad making his debut.A legend was born!

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

One of the biggest regrets about being born in the era I was is that I wasn't around to watch Hoddle, every older generation Spurs fan in my family and friends will always tell me about how magical he was, I've seen plenty of vids but nothing beats seeing it live.

11. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

When Glen was playing my daughter was a young teenager & had quite a crush on him. She used to send him a Valentine, Birthday & Christmas card every year! She is a Grandmother now and we still tease her about it!

SpursDisciple likes this.
  12. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I would quite happily send David Ginola a Valentine every year !!!

13. maggie blanchflower

So would I! He was gorgeous, Berba too when he was with us. Don't care for the hairstyle now. Nothing more attractive than a good looking guy with great footie skills playing for my team.:emoticon-0142-happy

14. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I personally hate looking at those stupid Mohawk haircuts.
    ....and wonder why men with hair on their heads prefer it shaved and those that don't have hair spend a fortune to have it transplanted.

15. maggie blanchflower

<laugh> I so agree with you. Not keen on this fungus around the face fashion either, especially the young ones. Doesn't make them look distinguished, just daft IMO.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Great player, but I can't help remembering him for his embarrassment on TOTP

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

That would be like remembering George Best for being drunk on the Wogan show. So many good things to remember from both.

18. Without doubt, Hoddle was the best player I have ever watched play the game in a Spurs shirt! Yes, I've seen Gazza, and Waddle, and Ginola, among many others, but for consistency and sheer out-and-out class, Hoddle was in a completely different league.

He was one of those players who, whenever he got the ball, he made something happen; whether it was a pass that dissected a defence, a deft chip that made a complete monkey out of a defender, a set-piece, a mazy-run, or a curving-volley to the corner of the goal, he had everything in his locker. His first-touch and control were sublime, his weight-of-pass was never anything less than perfect, and his technique for shooting was as good as any striker I have ever seen.

I have consistently voted him as our "best ever player" in every poll I have voted in.