1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Football Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Forgot_My_Lines, Aug 11, 2015.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Really not sure you're being fair on the club there. He left in summer 2015, having never made a senior appearance and doing well in league 2 on loan. It's taken him a further two seasons at that level before a championship side has deemed him worth considering. And I don't expect Barnsley to be challenging for promotion next season.

Are we meant to keep hold of every youngster for 3 years, repeatedly loaning him out to clubs two leagues below us, in case he might one day be considered for our bench?

Barnsley are paying "up to £1m" for him, whilst we received a 6 figure sum when he joined Luton, and have a sizeable sell-on clause.

I honestly don't know how you can look at that and say the club screwed up.

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well, there's a surprise - "Both the new kit and the main sponsor, however, are expected to be unveiled within the next week.
    City’s managing director, Steve Stone, speaking to the club’s official site, paid tribute to Aviva’s long-term support."
    http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-line-up-new-main-sponsor-1-5076669

Edit - An interesting article on MFW today - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2017/06/24/we-have-a-plan-and-we’re-executing-it-with-what-appears-to-be-an-unseen-level-of-efficiency-and-effectiveness/#comment-86070
    PS - I'm sure I've seen this posted elsewhere re Ashley-Seal, but can't find it now - http://the72.co.uk/84778/norwich-striker-set-for-leicester/

PPS - Could be an interesting evening and might have to try and get a ticket - Daniel Farke will be joining the panel at our Fans Forum on Thursday 13th July.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Some wise words from GG in today's MFW article - “All of which makes it doubly astounding that throughout last season the players struggled so much in the final quarter of games. Given the science on offer it seems almost inconceivable that they were not at their absolute peak of physical fitness, yet what unfolded in front of our very eyes told us otherwise. The stats undoubtedly told the sports science team that everything was A1.
    It was a conundrum that played its own part in the downfall of Alex Neil and his side’s almost total inability to win a game from a losing position played perfectly into the ‘they’re not fit enough’ narrative. For Alex to be presented with stats that belied what had unfolded before him would have been the source of huge frustration.
    It would have been perplexing too for the now departed head of sports science Nick Davies, although ultimately maybe it was a tiredness of the mind rather than limbs that was to prove so costly for all concerned.
    Full article here - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...st-translate-to-sharp-minds-as-well-as-limbs/

canary-dave likes this.
  4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I'm talking about that as a standard of our club. Not for this instance alone.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

This MUST be the quote of the decade from today's EDP in an article on Russel Matin - "The Canaries’ skipper had his fair share of detractors during the last campaign, along with the rest of a squad who fell short in the Championship promotion stakes.!!!" <doh>
    “I love being here and playing here. I want to help them drive it on within the dressing room,” said the Scottish international
    I'm HOPING he'll just occasionally be in the squad on match days, though I've no problem with him being in the dressing room and advising our 'up and coming' players.
    Full article here - http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...o-a-brighter-future-at-norwich-city-1-5076404

Edit - today's offering from Martin Penney on MFW - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...m-that-doesnt-run-out-of-steam-on-70-minutes/
    I'll be VERY surprised if we see any recurrence of the fans questioning the players' fitness this season.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    KIO likes this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Ex 1p5swich player on joining Bradford City <laugh>

7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fill your boots, Hucks <ok>

8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

9. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

10. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Or maybe he prefers the journey between London & Swansea as opposed to London to Newcastle

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

12. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

We usually have a couple of late friendlies at home to Big clubs from Europe done we? Is there still room for them? Think we played Hamburg and a Greek or Spanish side last season?

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I think we're out of luck on that score this season FML - you'll just have to get a ticket for the game against Swindon - 6 weeks tonight I think!!!!
    See you there!! <ok>

15. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

16. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

This made me smile, from Bradley Dack who has gone from Gillingham to Blackburn.
    Never mind the "ambition to play at the top again" - if he looked at the tables, he'd see they just slipped into the abyss of the third tier last May! <yikes>

please log in to view this image

18. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  20. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member