1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General Election

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Jennings60s, Apr 18, 2017.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

What is relevant now is that there is no appetite to indulge in further antics of self seeking London millionaires to block Brexit. The UK want Brexit a.s.a.p. I'm sure the UK electorate is expecting some EU spite and self harm to try and protect the 'project'.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The EU will protect itself rightly. Why should it do otherwise to accommodate one country that is out of touch with reality?

3. superhorns

The ones without reality are the eurocrats dragging member states towards a federal Europe without consent. Apart from constantly electing a Tory government the UK has had the further good sense to break away from a restrictive protectionist grouping.

4. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

By 'Eurocrats' I presume that you are referring to the European Commission, whose role is a subservient one to the EU. Parliament - ie. to MPs who are elected by their constituents. The British MEPs have been voting along with everyone else since they joined - and have, in fact, agreed with laws made on 90% of occasions. That is a higher success rate than any other country. The EU. has also fallen over itself in making special conditions for Britain. Nobody is 'dragging' anyone anywhere against their will - so stop making up stories and regurgitating the nonsense fed to us by the Sun. You cannot now expect the EU. to fall over itself making better conditions for you than you have already.

5. superhorns

I'm not sure anyone is expecting better trading conditions after we leave the EU, just sensible trading for the benefit of all. They obviously have an interest in preventing other member states from leaving. I'm sure the EU will self harm for political expediency.

6. superhorns

Is Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP a busted flush?

Further to the above poll showing the Tories are poised to win several seats from the SNP a new poll brings additional bad news. Just 26% support Sturgeon's call for a fresh referendum, and 60% are now against independence. This is evidence that she is further out of step with public opinion in Scotland.

7. colognehornet

Can you supply reliable sources (and dates) for your statistics or do you just draw them out of a hat at will ?

8. superhorns

As always I just rely on pure facts. I'm always happy to spread knowledge across the channel.

The poll was the Kantar Scottish Opinion Monitor

9. colognehornet

Did you read down far enough to realise that the poll was from 2013 ?

10. superhorns

No you have the wrong date.

Read the online news from The Telegraph, The Independent or The Scottish Record. It is today's news.

11. superhorns

12. colognehornet

Strange that the Kantar Scottish opinion monitor knows nothing about this - I found nothing about it on their website - or did the Independent also use outdated material ? Anyway - this thread is not going to produce any real debate if all we see on it are endless opinion polls from far from impartial sources. It is, however, possible that many Scots are adopting a 'wait and see' policy - ie. wait and see what happens at the General Election, wait and see how 'hard' or 'soft' Brexit will be - and then decide about independence.

13. superhorns

The poll was taken between 29th March to 11th April so it is up to date. The Scots are clearly moving away from independence and overwhelmingly do not want a referendum anytime soon. Sturgeon should listen to her people. A Tory revival in Scotland as predicted would further undermine her current stance.

14. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What the poll actually says is that only 26% want a referendum within a certain time frame, but that 54% are still happy to see another one at a different time. The results are confused and it says that better indications may be seen in the local elections.

15. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

Well it is reported also in the Independent and also the Scottish Daily Record and says polling took place between end of March and 11th April so I am fooled if it is a lie

16. superhorns

What is clear there is weakening support for independence with 60% now against. The local and general elections are predicted to lessen support for the SNP.

17. superhorns

Another one of 'remainer' doom monger predictions likely to bite the dust!!

18. colognehornet

It makes sense for the Scots to wait on events. I am confident that I will see a free Scotland in my lifetime but they have to hold a referendum at the right time - because they will probably only get one shot at it. Last time the timing was wrong - it would have made more sense to have waited until after the General Election. The fact that it was only 6 months before a General Election was a strategic coup by Cameron. The Scots need to get it right next time.

19. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

A free Scotland? Do me a favour.
    Scotland is a free part of the UK. Do you then think on the same lines that the UK needed brexit to get a free UK.
    Of course not. We are in a mutually beneficial union - it is only Scot Nats who disagree and they are a minority enjoying a brief moment in the sun. In a few years they will sink back into obscurity.

20. colognehornet

I knew that the expression 'Free Scotland' would ruffle a few feathers <laugh> No, Scotland is not a 'free' country - in the way that the UK. was 'free' in the EU. If Scotland were a 'free' country they would not need to ask permission of Westminster before having a referendum - did the UK. need the permission of the EU. before their referendum ? All but one Scottish MP are also against Trident being stationed there - does it make a difference ? No, it is forced on them.