1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Full circle

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by stick, May 8, 2017.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

2006-2007 Played 46 Points 53 GD -14
    2016-2017 Played 46 Points 53 GD -14

Nothing has changed except in the interim we have wasted a shedload of money and opportunity!

2. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

We knew that but even sadder to see it in hard stats.
    Come on The Board. One last go??

3. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Take "one last" out of your final sentence and I agree with you.

qpherts likes this.
  4. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

An a thanks for jfh for keeping us up football was poor tho but now even worse!!

5. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

I cant like your post Stick as it is so sickening.
    My thoughts are that very much has changed - the next 10 years are highly unlikely to enjoy the amount of investment the previous ones enjoyed.
    In place now for the dawn of the next decade is:
    A battle weary owner who is suffering the Mother of all PTSD
    A Director of Football who was a playing legend but poor at directing football clubs
    A 1st team manager who, although wonderfully eccentric and undoubtedly an R - is woefully out of his depth
    Many more "established" yo-yo clubs that will make it increasingly difficult to compete in the Championship
    We are far more likely to be going down then even remaining in current situ
    We are a far less attractive proposition for potential investors after last 10 years
    A worse squad now then 2007

One thing is also the same though - was at the Forest match with 6 Danes, we go on a Capital City weekend every year with a match.
    Persuaded them to go to see us, rather than the Palarse match. One of the guys was shattered after the night before and didn't celebrate our first goal. A Neanderthal raced down to him, accused him of being Forest and genuinely wanted to fight him - backed down when he saw us all and registered my still Cockney accent.
    The guys loved the quaint ground and the opportunity to learn so many new words pertaining to the English vocabulary.

I'm sorry but I would never, ever take my young ones again to Loftus Road. Nasty, Uneducated, Aggressive and Unnecessary.

Luckily, Langans has not been spoilt by the new owners, the anchovee suflee was still up to scratch.

6. danishqp

And as always Stick, many, many thanks for the continued info you provide so willingly.
    Good luck for the flat season my man.

stick likes this.
  7. Rangers Til I Die

Really?
    Unless there's a gazillionairre with a great footballing business brain champing at the bit to buy us then careful what you wish for.
    I read that Blackburn's Venky owners spent £250K on players (not sure re time period) and have now got what they deserved.

Despite the uncertainty of FFP, our owners have done better than that. Just.

8. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

T'was more mirth than said in seriousness, though they ain't done that great, have they?

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

****ing hell, Langans is still going? Still the comfort food for men of a certain vintage and showbiz ambience? Timeslip.......

10. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

I quite enjoyed this season
    If we were going up you'd be worried about having to buy 15 new players and how we were about to throw away more money
    The best thing about the club is the great ground and that's not changing any time soon as our play doesn't warrant it
    Bring on next season when the youth has another year's experience

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

They sold £10M worth of players last summer, and only spent £250K, leaving very little options to improve the squad - as they say, if you spend peanuts you get monkeys. Venkys have destroyed that club (Jack Walker would be spinning in his grave) and they deserve what they have got - no sympathy for the owners, but although the town is a ****ehole, you have to feel for the fans, who will still be there long after Venkys have upped sticks. As poor as some of the decision making has been by our owners, I'm glad we are not in Blackburns, Birminghams, Florists or even Orients position, who's owners truly appear to not give a ****.

12. danishqp

My old Dad was maitre 'd for many, many, many years Stan.
    The lads I was with took The Royal piss at first but they ended up enchanted with all the old stories.
    The one of Langan getting the road workers pissed on Krug at 8 in The morning, so he could sleep his hang over was always a Classic.

sb_73 and Uber_Hoop like this.
  13. Rangers Til I Die

Agreed. Tend to miss the irony on this board. Apologies!

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Last time I went must have been the early nineties, was your Dad there at the time?Taken there by a bloke trying to sell me something work related, very boozy, I find it hard to conceive of anything like that happening today. I'm not allowed to accept anything at all from vendors nowadays. Which is as it should be.

15. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

WE NEED WARNOCK HE CAN SAVE US

QPR Oslo likes this.
  16. danishqp

He was indeed Stan, from 76 opening till 97. Langan originally wanted to turn The old Coq D'or into a bangers and mash house. My dad had worked with Langan in their restaurant off The Abbey Rd in The early 70s, but couldn't handle his drinking so he sold up to become GM at The Waldorf. Remember he didn't take a single day off for 2 years straight - had to lie to come with us for a month, they checked up and fired him!!!!
    Crazy, crazy times - he took Shepherd with him to start The Brasserie. Langan still nejedes 25K, Dad wouldn't invest anymore but promised to run it for him. The rest was history.

Funniest part of all the stories of celebs and celebs, the old man was only on close terms with one - Barry Sheene of all people. I was living at Panton St. for a while and my evenings were usually Langans followed by Dover St Wine bar, sometimes in to Blondes to be seen and buy a drink with Georgie boy.

Oh those days- can feel The Delboyism rushing up!!!!

stick likes this.
  17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Had my pre wedding booze up (not really a stag do because women were invited, including the future wife) in the Dover Street Wine Bar, among other places. I can remember very little of it.

18. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Except that during that ten years was my best ever QPR moment.

rangercol and QPR Oslo like this.
  19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

OBZ's goal, and the BBC Promotion Confirmation news incoming with the pre-match beers in a pub near the ground before the Leeds game 3 years before, are my 2 best ever QPR moments.