1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Fulham v Crusaders

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by WhatDoesWoyWant?, Jul 21, 2011.

1. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Looks like JA Riise will make his debut tonight for the Whites!

Don't know about you lot but I am really looking forward to my trip to Fulham tonight!

Who else is going?

I am looking for a stream audio/video for those not going to the game and will add it as soon as I find something.

Do you think Jol will go for it or use some of the youngsters?

I am unsure of Briggs, he had a blinder last week so should be playing so stuck him at LB??

---------------Schwarzer-------------
    Briggs----Hughes---Hangeland----JA Riise
    Frei------Murphy-------Sidwell------Duff
    ----------Dalla Valle/AJ-------Zamora-------------

2. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

I will be going and would be nice to see some new faces on the team. Dalla Valle might be good to support Bobby. Also the young Riise should be given a chance...

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

WDWW, where did you hear that Riise the Elder was likely to start? I didn't think he was elibible yet. I may have this wrong, but I thought we had to stick with the squad we named until the end of the qualifying rounds (meaning he's out for tonight, and for the next two games if we get through, but could be available for the 'play-off' round).

I hope Frei gets another start. If he does then the biggest question marks are over who partners Murphy in midfield and who partners Zamora up front. Jol may go for Etuhu if he thinks it's going to be a physical battle again (not that Sidwell is a shrinking violet), and I think he'll go for AJ up front unless he's seen something that he likes from LDV in the Sutton friendly.

As for Riise the Younger, I suspect he won't take a starting place from Damien Duff, although if we can get an early goal or two he may be given another chance from the bench. I can't help thinking that unless he turns in an eye-catching performance soon in the Europa run, Jol could be looking to ship him out.

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Well the poor bloke needs to play first! I'm well in the pro-Riise the younger camp, he needs a chance.

5. Captain Morgan

I've just seen the article on the club website, which talks about Riise the Elder looking forward to making his debut tonight, which suggests that my thoughts about eligibility above are completely wrong! Please disregard all my nonsense. WDWW, my apologies for ever doubting you!

6. Captain Morgan

Fair point Bidley, I had it in my head that he had started one or more of the Europa games, but I've just checked and he's come on as a sub in each one.

I agree with you on Riise the Younger, I remember being impressed by his first half against Basle at the Cottage, and again in the home game against Roma, where I thought he had the better of his big brother. But I don't recall hearing anyone say he had made much of an impression in his sub appearances this season, and if he doesn't do something soon he might find himself at the back of our ever-lengthening queue of wingers (Duff, Davies, Dempsey, Dembele, Frei, plus any of the rumoured new signings). It would be a shame for him to move on, particularly now that his brother is here as well, but I suspect his time is running out unless he can show a flash of something special very soon.

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Oh I see, I didn't know this.

You're right then, with Frei coming in a playing very well (apparently) his chances will be even more limited, like you say. But with more games coming up and Duff and Davies' legs not getting any younger, it does look as though if he's ever going to break through, it'll be this season.

8. WhatDoesWoyWant?

9. FFC_Madness

If it is for us to make any progress this year we need to get some of the subs in early on to give them confidence. Riise the younger to start giving Duff and Davies a rest and also Frei needs to be on the lineup.

Glad that we are bringing in some younger blood together with some experience. Rotation is the only way to avoid trouble and tired legs towards the second half of the season. Actually this year the squad seems to be strengthening. Saying that we need a couple more players and definitely a forward and RB.

10. Captain Morgan

I agree about squad rotation this season, Madness, but I don't think it's an issue in July. Whether (for example) Duff plays tonight or not won't make a lot of difference to how he lasts. What will count is how Jol juggles the squad when we have matches coming thick and fast, and when we get into the last 3 months or so of the season.

I agree Frei should start, but as part of a more-or-less full strength starting eleven. If we get a goal or two in the first half, that will give us the platform to introduce some more youngsters without the pressure of a crowd getting restless at us not making progress on the night. Admittedly, none of us can really see Crusaders getting three goals tonight so we should be safe, but as the Runavik second leg showed, a 0-0 on the back of a comfortable first leg lead can feel more pressured than it actually is.

11. FFC_Madness

Captain I agree, too early to talk about rotation but now it's the time to try all the players he has. And these games are more competitive than friendlies thus my comment.

I believe everyone wants to see some goals tonight. The players on both teams will be without any stress I believe which will make things flow easier and faster.

12. Captain Morgan

13. Captain Morgan

I think Crusaders will be just as likely to be happy to go home with a clean sheet. I think they are going to be strong and physical and not wanting to make it easy for us. It could be another game like most of our European games so far this season - us knocking endlessly at the door but not quite getting any joy. Judging by Jol's selection policy so far, he is likely to treat this as a serious game with a strong side required until we get a couple of goals. For that reason I don't think we'll see a lot of the youngsters in the starting 11. Any who make it will be there on merit (I'm thinking Frei here), not predominantly for the experience.

14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

15. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Yes Nice one from AJ.
    Briggs playing nicely and obviously been told to partner with Riise - lokking good together - I think this bodes well for various partnerships on the left wing and good flexibility through the season

16. Captain Morgan

Duff 2-0. Nice through ball from Senderos.

17. Captain Morgan

Now that they need to pull back four goals to put us out, maybe it would be time to give some experience to some more youngsters - Frei and Trotta are on the bench...

18. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

Yes - let's have some kids on for the last half hour. Duffer looks fit - lots of running and closing down

19. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Bobby gets his goal - nice play leading up.

20. Captain Morgan

Agreed Bidley, good work from AJ and a lovely dummy from Duff.