1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Free Agents

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintstu downunder, Nov 6, 2012.

1. saintstu downunder

saintstu downunder New Member

Having seen every match this season (thanks to the miracle of Foxtel in Australia), it's clear to me that defensively we are out of our depth in this league.

One solution could be to pick up a decent free agent, and use them to give some experience to the back four.

I'm not sure who's available, but saw the Mikael Silvestre is looking for a club and currently training with Man United. Top player, very experienced in the Prem, can play Left-Back and Centre-Half and even at 34/35 could probably do a job for us...

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

2. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Wage Structure? Not sure how much an 'ex' superstar wants to be paid these days. Must be a reason our other competitors (or continental equivalents) haven't snapped him up.

3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Silvestre has pre-signed for some foreign club in January hasn't he?

Rules him out

4. SFCJordi

SFCJordi Active Member

Yeah, I read that. Indian Second Division apparently.

5. saintbaggs1885

I thought we should have checked the fitness of Gianluca Zambrotta a few few months ago. He can play right back, left back and can also play anywhere across the midfield. He was good enough to be used as cover for AC Milan last season so must surley be good enough to play a part for us. At the very least his experience at the very top level would be worth having a look.

6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

The truth is, probably, that there is no one out there that is better than what we have, that is available and eligible, if there was I am sure our scouting teams and contacts would have been on the case. We have enough dead wood on the books being paid, but are not earning, as it is.

7. ImpSaint

Problem with a lot of football fans is they see the words 'free agent' and immediately assume that the club is blind or stupid!!!

Our club has a wage structure and a lot of these players are free because they demand more than clubs are prepared to pay. So unless they fit in the 'less than our top earners' as well as being a player that will be first team and not backup then we are better off without them.

8. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

most free agents are coming to the end of thier careers and may just be looking for a wage packet, it also does not fit into NC plans of building a young team. We must use Ajax as arole model.

9. frankimus

frankimus Active Member

I said so many times over the summer that we need a premier league experienced 30+ year old cb to stand a chance of survival. I got torn apart by everyone on here.
    Yes I would like a medal.

10. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

You can be slated for being right, you know. And you were not alone. I think we've bought a couple of very exciting players, notably Clyne and Ramirez. But oh for some nasty big old pro when we come under pressure.

11. benditlikeabanana

so which one would you suggest? I can not think of anyone. Hearts look like they are goimg titsup, do they have any goodies that we can poach?

12. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Could be our downfall then......we are a team which now requires players who are experienced at this level so we can compete, they can also help guide our younger players.

Lowe had a similar vision which ended up with us getting relegated, if that happens this season the vultures will gather and our talented youngsters will once again be history.

To model yourself on Ajax and even Barcelona for that matter is a risky strategy...they are the top football clubs in their respective countries which gives them carte blanche to any talented youngsters. And if any of those youngsters are good enough to break into their first team they will still have experienced players to guide them.

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Did you miss all of the quips about a CB with pace, didn't you see all of the posts saying we need a Left Back that can defend, we gave up stating the obvious when it didn't happen, for whatever reason.

14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Marco Materazzi? Used to work for me in Football Manager 2012!

15. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

Like frankimus says experienced defenders should of been bought in the summer, too late now!! Even if we're keeping up with the pack come January, recruiting the right defenders/players will be no easy task.

Don't know if Skacel is still at Hearts?? He can play at LB...unfortunately though he's not very good at it, will wave at you though everytime he takes a corner!!

16. benditlikeabanana

there will be good young defenders out there- but not on freebees, wewill have to pay top dollar but it hasto be done

17. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I`m afraid not, Bendit. Their regular CBs are Webster, who didn`t cut it at Wigan, and Zaliukis, who had a discipline problem. No improvement on our incumbents.

18. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

.....Skacel is at Dundee United now.

19. frankimus

frankimus Active Member

The 2 names I put forward in July, to much abuse and "thank god you aren't a manager"s, were O'Shea and riise. Someone tell me we would have conceded 28 goals with those 2 in our back 4..

Fine, 30+ year olds aren't "the southampton way", but would you rather us go down?

20. ImpSaint

Yes but again you miss the point......How much are they on a week? I would bet more than oure top earners and maybe by a large margin