1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Formula E

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by East_Stand_Always, Nov 14, 2012.

1. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

That letter he released had a lot of signs of addiction/dependence, to my mind. Emotional blackmail, stresses repeatedly that it won't happen again, etc.

I severely hope Franck gets the help he needs and doesn't end up ostracised - don't want to inadvertently push him further into trouble.

If they'd get away with it I'm pretty sure it'd happen. The FIA do do random drugs tests quite frequently though.

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As of 2012, drivers undergo two random urine tests a year, and no blood tests are carried out. Given the sophistication of doping regimes in cycling, I don't think it would be impossible for a driver to evade detection. Webber was one of the drivers calling for increased testing apparently.

3. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Sad to say but I agree more rigour for drug testing is probably overdue in our sport.
    :(

4. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I'd just prefer the FIA took action proactively rather than retroactively. F1 should have a world class anti doping program without the need to catch someone to force its introduction. If someone did get caught then it throws season after season into doubt.

5. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

ITV coverage starts at 6pm today folks.

6. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

That was utterly, utterly ridiculous. <laugh>
    Well worth a watch though.

7. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

That safety car period was one hell of a farce though! How can it pick up the wrong driver? Buemi bottled it big time yet got away with it because of di Grassi's car breaking! :emoticon-0101-sadsm

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The safety car period was screwed over by the lap length. The mandated pit time was something like 72 seconds, when the lap was nearer 65 seconds. As soon as the safety car came out, the issue was inevitable. Hopefully they'll learn from this though and get it sorted, by next season at least.

They really need to beef up the rear suspension though, Di Grassi and Chandhok had their races ruined by simply taking the racing line. Agree about Buemi too. JEV wasn't at his best today, and Heidfeld must be the unluckiest driver in the world.

9. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

<laugh>

10. TomTom94

That was reminiscent of Monaco 1982 near the end there. Crazy. Agreed that there are clearly still issues they need to sort out by next season.

Main benefit of today is it puts Nico Prost right back in the championship battle.

11. cosicave

Some very exciting on track action, rudely interrupted by 7 laps of SC farce with drivers having little idea of track position. When the SC finally got out of the way, action resumed in earnest, only to see front runners drop like sprayed flies.

Best driver: Heidfeld.
    Speeding in the pit lane must always be followed by appropriate penalty but it was a travesty that this occurred – especially since it coincided with his well-earned and substantial leading of the race in the final laps. As has been said already, he has been incredibly unlucky ever since the season opener (where actually, one might say he
    was very lucky!)
    Worst driver: (In terms of etiquette alone): Prost.
    Pushing Abt so wide that he was forced to approach the corner from an unexpected angle, Alguesuari had no idea he was about to become another totally innocent victim. Yet again, Prost suggested that he has little awareness of the potential consequences of his dangerous (and ridiculous) defensive moves.

One more point, unrelated to the racing. Although I know that for the TV, it tends to be less intrusive, what do viewers think of the continual drumming (sorry; music (?)). Would you prefer to be able to hear the strangely futuristic whine of these vehicles or to have it totally overwhelmed by irrelevance?

12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

The sooner they drop the "Formula E.J" the better, although I think compared to the first race they've toned it down slightly, so you can hear the cars and crowd more.

The production needs some serious work though. There's rarely an indicator for team radio, so the commentary team always ended up talking over it, then having to relay it as they're the only ones who could here it clearly. They often seem clueless as to who actually spoke. The on-board graphic is woeful too. It gives loads of pretty interesting info (see YouTube for a video where scarbs explains it), but some info is duplicated, and the layout is too cluttered.

13. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The production is poor, but then again I can't imagine it gets a huge following except for hardcore race fans. I would like to listen to the true acoustics myself.

I'm just curious, how fast do they actually go and why do they not use slicks?

14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

They're limited to 225kmph, although I've not seen anyone hit that. They don't use slicks because the idea was to have an all-weather tyre to save costs. Reducing grip makes them slightly harder to drive too, given that they aren't that fast.

Smithers likes this.
  15. cosicave

Thanks guys. Good points about the production, and DHC: I completely agree with what you've said of the graphics and commentary.

Smithers: Top speed is about 140mph (225kph).
    The cars do not use slicks for two reasons:
    1/ Firstly, Formula-e is primarily being marketed as road-relevant, where of course, slick tyres are not an option (sic). The tyre is also 'all-weather', as per road cars. Thanks for the reminder, DHC!
    2/ Less grip improves the spectacle and increases the sense of speed to the viewer whose expectations are likely tempered by exposure to F1.

Although the second point is primarily aimed at the viewers, it also increases the challenge and makes driving a lot more fun!

:)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Using the Donington Park test as a bench mark, Formula E cars seem to be similar in pace to LM GTE cars

17. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Why Nick whyyyyyyyyy!!!

18. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Fantastic racing a very memorable one at that. I echo your thoughts although improvements will occur in due course I reckon. It's the inaugural season after all.

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Disappointingly, it would appear that the Monaco e-Prix isn't going to be run on the F1 circuit. Instead the track will be altered to take a sharper exit from St Devote, and send them down to the Nouvelle Chicane, using the escape road as the track and making the chicane a hairpin. So nothing from the run up the hill to the exit of the tunnel.

Seems a shame to make a short track even shorter, and to make any direct comparisons with F1 difficult. I wonder if the cars can't make it round the Loews hairpin though, and the alteration is the only way to avoid it.

20. TomTom94