1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

footballs cold war

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Mar 6, 2017.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

7000 seater reserve team stadium
    will tony give us one of those

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

An interesting insight as to how these big clubs are 'hoovering up' all the young talent. I wonder how so many of these wide-eyed youngsters, many of whom have been 'driven' by pushy parents, actually feel when the realisation dawns on them that they really aren't going to make it?

Back in November I had an early morning 5.30 pick up near me in South Norwood, it was taking a 12 year old boy and his mum to the Arsenal Academy just off the North Circular near Walthamstow. I got chatting and was told he was going to play in a tournament in Tenerife, this was in term-time but they get special release to go. They were going on to the airport in the club coach from the Academy.

She said he was first 'coached' at Fulham when he was six and then signed for their Academy when he was nine. Arsenal then showed an interest and he moved to them at eleven. I asked if he was a Palace supporter but he was actually a Chelsea supporter but she said Chelsea weren't interested as so many of their Academy are from abroad and their youth set-up is so strong.

I reckon the chances of this boy actually going all the way to the first team are probably 1,000/1, many are discarded by 16 and more by 18, sold the dream but just chewed up and spat out. If any of my grandsons are good enough I'd advise them to go to a smaller club where they have the opportunity to develop with prospects. It certainly seems QPR have been left way behind with what other clubs have developed and we have a long way to go to catch up...

4. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

A long way indeed. Just for the moment, we are travelling forwards. I'm enjoying that for however long it lasts. We can only hope it's for years and decades rather than a month or two (or even a game or two) as has been the case until Ollie's influence began to click into place. Another 3 points tonight will do much to add to that momentum.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

My 14 year old nephew is in the same position at Sheffield Wednesday. His family live in Taiwan (my brother emigrated there years ago and married a Taiwanese girl). I really hope he makes it as he has left his family 8,000 miles away to follow his dream. He would be heartbroken if it doesn't work out.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I don't know the precise statistics but even up to the age of 21 players are released and never get a professional contract again.
    One of the reasons non-league football is so strong today is that there are many players in these teams who were on professional contracts in their younger days.
    Only a tiny, tiny number of those in academics ever make it in professional football.