1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Flint and Leeds bid

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

What's the betting Connor Ripley starts, then gets dropped and FF takes back number one spot.
    How many times have we tried someone else only to go back to Fielding.

Mind the gap! likes this.
  2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I think I'm against a lot of people here but I really think we should cash in on Flint while his value is high. In the air he's great, strength-wise he's great, and he's a decent defender don't get me wrong, but City fans have rose-tinted specs regarding him purely because he displays the sort of passion and commitment that makes it looks like he loves the club. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't make you a better player.

Against a lower league team with high balls into the box and where strength is needed he's top class. Against anyone with an ounce of skill, he turns into a donkey. Any striker with very good dribbling will turn him inside out, and for that reason, he's not a long-term prospect for us if we have serious ambitions.

Fully expect everyone to disagree with me but that's my opinion on him, I think whoever gets him will love him, but will probably expect more than he will ultimately give.

manxrobin, RedorDead and Red Robin like this.
  3. BCFCRob

Where have these rumours come from by the way guys? Is it just OTIB? It was only after the match on Tuesday night that LJ said we'd had no bids for Flint or Bryan so it must have moved fast if legit.

Anyone here 'ITK' and heard anything? I've not heard a thing my end.

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

In two seasons in the Championship who was this player who has turned Aden Flint inside out? It does not happen. He is a very proficient defender.

5. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Starts with the Jason Steele move.

6. BCFCRob

Well of all people you should know that it's not as simple as that... It is only really applicable in a 1:1 situation as the defence operates as a unit, but it's still a point to be made. There are plenty of instances of goals from last season and the season before where he's ended up nearly flat on his arse from strikers coming at him. I'm not going to trawl through to try and find them but everyone knows he's been caught out in that respect.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  7. BCFCRob

So you're convinced it's happening?

8. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Yep. Just found out the defender was Nathan Baker...

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

He was going no doubt about it,don't believe the Speel coming from the gate.<doh>

10. maga1810

maga1810 Member

My take on this would be does anyone on this message board believe that during our two seasons in the Championship our defence has been good enough? Last season only 4 teams conceded more goals in the Championship. Therefore to progress we need to improve. To improve we probably need to change personnel.
    Is the reason why who ever plays right back looks poor because they are always conscious they need to cover in behind Flint the right sided Centre Half for both balls over the top and attackers running down the channel past Flint?
    I honestly do not know the answers to above, but I would say the defence needs to be better, so may be Flint going may be he right move. Plus he is a Nottingham lad, so Leeds are bound to be a draw as only just up the M1 and he would get more money.

11. Red Robin

Boro seems to be his destination.

12. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

NATHAN BAKER was in the news yesterday .. in todays transfer idealology the % of selling on fee is an integral part, and although a fee is often agreed, this aspect can be the selling clubs last grasp at getting buttered bread...... Flinty would likely have 15% added and maybe X% if he plays in the prem!

13. Cliftonville

It is simple. Aden Flint does not get isolated often because of his reading of the game. He is a savvy player who last season performed admirably despite the ill conceived and odd tactics of Mr Johnson. His level of performance in a season of failure made him an ever present with merit.

14. Cliftonville

The defence performs better when Mr Johnson does not arse about each game with XI selection and team shape. Aden flint was one of the few players last season whose performance level did not suffer badly when Mr Johnson went through his high lines, deep lines, screening/half pressing/ geggenpressing phase mid season.

A football team is a reflection of the Managers ideas in and out of the possession.

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

How was it in the news yesterday when twitter all exploded this morning?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  16. Red Robin

Exclusive: Aden Flint to leave Bristol City in the next few days for new club
    Deal to be completed by the middle of next week, reveals source close to the player

Bristol City made it a perfect seven wins in pre-season (Torquay game and younger line-up aside) by beating FC Twente on Friday night. But talismanic defender Aden Flint was only named on the bench.

Jens Hegeler and Bailey Wright instead started in defence and many have interpreted this as the end for the former Alfreton Town man.

The Bristol Post understands that the towering centre-back is set to switch clubs in the next few days.

please log in to view this image

Aden Flint of Bristol City came off the bench in the second half against FC Twente
    Marlon Pack and Joe Bryan strike to keep Bristol City's pre-season run going against FC Twente
    A source close to both the player and the club has confirmed that negotiations are well under way between the Robins and another unnamed club. The source did not reveal which club.

A deal should be completed by the middle of next week.

The forthcoming sale has been offset by the capture of Nathan Baker, who was introduced to the City fans at half-time on Friday night, and who, of course, returns for a second spell at the Robins.

17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

So what fee would be "good business" for us?

18. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Harry Redknapp was at the gate last night, I met him.. So its probably Birmingham.. he did joke about getting Flint.

Hes a loss, but thats football..

We played very well last night by the way for anyone who wasn't there!

19. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I have seen many posts from you criticising Aden Flints ability to pass the ball out from the back?

20. Cliftonville

The occasional post, but not his defensive ability. The two are different things. Some of the worlds best defenders are offensively minded but actually not great for defenders. Defending in this day of high lines and universiality is not always the primary function of a defender, same as saving the ball v foot skill keepers.