1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Finally money to be made on a player

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Sunderland outcast Sebastian Coates will become a £4.25 million Sporting Lisbon player in “a matter of time”, according to the Portuguese club’s president.

The Uruguayan international is on a season-long loan at Sporting.

He joined them on a temporary basis last January until the end of last season. That arrangement was extended for the entirety of the current campaign during the summer, when Sporting chose against a permanent transfer.

Coates has been a near ever-present for his loan club this term, scoring three goals.

Reports in Portugal have repeatedly claimed the Alvalade outfit have been so impressed by the 26-year-old that they will exercise a £4.25 million buy-out clause in their agreement with the Black Cats.

• Player Information
    • About Brightcove
    TAP TO PLAY
    WATCH NEXTSunderland transfer rumoursSunderland on a season-long loan from Liverpool in 2014, before making a £2 million permanent switch in July 2015, only to fall from favour when Sam Allardyce replaced Dick Advocaat.

Who could Sunderland sign in January and how could they make the deals happen?
    He has a further two seasons left on his contract at the Stadium of Light, but the defender does not figure in David Moyes’ plans and has been told he can leave.

And despite interest from other unnamed suitors and apparently unperturbed by his reported £45,000-a-week basic wages, Sporting are said to be drawing up plans to sign him outright and are simply awaiting word from Sunderland over how to meet the Wearsiders’ payment demands.

2. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

Sounds promising, assuming lens goes as well then that's another player off the books we don't have to worry about.

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We should recall Lens, not sell him.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh I agree
    But he doesn't want to be with us

5. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

thats because he wasn't being picked mate

6. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

What about recalling both Coates and Lens and seeing what Moyes can do with them? We could do with them till the end of the season with the numbers we have.....and if they don't fit into his plans then sell them. I think we could get better money for them then....

7. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

I am sure if Moyes wanted them he would have called them back, if it was contractually possible.
    i just see it that they haven't played for us for a while, are highly unlikely to either so just get rid while the potential offer is there.

Nordic and mackemwelder like this.
  8. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's too late into the season to try and get them playing the way we want them to. If there's a deal to be done, then do it.

9. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Thing is the January window is normally when players are more expensive. I don't know if the Fenerbahce and Lisbon paid fees for Lens and Coates loan spells - if they did then we won't be able to recall (I don't think)

10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

11. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

he only put a shift in once he knew Dick was back in for him. he won't be back.