1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Everton v Sunderland Saturday 25th February KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 24, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Home win

57.1%
  2. Away win

7.1%
  3. Draw

35.7%
  1. FTM Dave

FTM Dave Well-Known Member

I see Jerker has raised his miserable snout, the one Mag fan who never, ever seems to write anything about how Newcastle United play football.

As for our difficulties. Well, Everton are a bit better than Bristol City, Jerker.

2. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

The reality that you need to face up to is that

Sunderland were beaten by the team in 7th place of English football away

Newcastle DREW with the team in 41st place at HOME

Perspective !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fentonpell, Nacho and FTM Dave like this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

True like. I couldn't give less of a **** about Newcastle fans trying to take the piss for that very reason.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  4. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Second half I thought we matched you comfortably. You looked miles ahead first half and, on another day, you'd have only got a draw there as you created little after half time.

"On that showing" means little. We're bottom of the league and you have a very good side. One of the best outside the big guns and have a pretty formidable home record. I reckon you've seen 3 worse at Goodson this season than us.

I think we'll be relegated too btw. But playing against a side if your quality and judging on that is IMO not something I'd do. I watched hull play ok and get beat by Man U (I think) They were no better than us against you lot really but the commentators said they'd stay up playing like that.

5. Mick Buxton's Allotment

Mick Buxton's Allotment Well-Known Member

I still stick by what I said. I thought we were half decent.

Will we stay up? Well, that's the big question. As yet, we're not cut off from the sides above, so there's every chance we can stay up. Middlesbrough, Burnley, Bournemouth,Swansea and West Ham to play at home. Watford and Hull away. There's still hope

RTB and cumbrianmackem like this.
  6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

There is hope if everything goes Sunderland's way from now till the end of the season but that is highly unlikely. I think 2 more losses will cement relegation as Moyes arguably the worst manager in the premiership never strengthened good enough and relies to much on a old hand to get the goals.....Sunderland need a huge slice of luck and results to go their way as we run down the remaining games ..Not impossible but mmmm with Moyes then I cant see it...

7. Mick Buxton's Allotment

Agree about Moyes - not my choice from day one. If we can survive under Di Canio, then there's a chance, however remote, under Moyes

clockstander likes this.
  8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You were much better second half, but I think we dropped off a little and had another gear had you managed to get an equaliser. You only created one good chance in 90 minutes.

Have I seen 3 worse this season? Good question. Bournemouth were awful defensively but have a goal in them, Boro are the converse, solid but completely toothless, Hull were gash until the new manager arrived and has given them hope through good organisation, same goes for Swansea. I think your side is completely reliant on Defoe, if you can provide him adequate service then you've got a chance. It's incredibly close down there and for me it could be any 3 from 6 or 7. I hope you stay up, but I'd not have money on it.

clockstander likes this.
  9. Mick Buxton's Allotment

The big mistake is looking at your recent form and suggesting that it sets down a marker for the rest of the season.

Remember 2 years ago, getting beat 4-0, at home, by a poor Villa side. Not long after, we got beat 4-1, at home, by Palace. Yet, we still survived.

clockstander likes this.
  10. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. We stayed up under di Canio because he gave us what we needed: fight, confidence, and belief. He was supremely arrogant and didn't know when he was beaten. That's what saved us. Moyes provides us with none of those things.
    Its a pity that the players didn't buy in to di Canio's way of doing things. He was totally dedicated to improving himself as a footballer and made football his number one priority. He expected the same from others and our shambling wasters just weren't as dedicated.

rooch 3, clockstander and BIG BAZ like this.

11. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly we need Big Vic back asap as teams know if they stop Defoe were beaten.
    Matches against the top team's are a free hit, if we pick up points then that's a bonus.
    We've got to get five wins out of the teams around us to stand any chance and IF we get Vic back, keep him fit with one or two others returning then its not impossible.
    Moyes has to look beyond his bumboy and sadly Borini is playing the worst football he ever has for us so they need to be out of that side no matter what standard their replacements are. We can do this.

The Little General likes this.
  12. Mick Buxton's Allotment

He was also a bit of a headcase. I liked him as well but I think he was a bit naive. I don't think we're unique amongst the teams at the bottom, who have shambling wasters - that's the nature of the modern day, Premier League beast.

Much as I don't like it, it's a question of how you motivate the overpaid, privileged players. I don't think Di Canio had the nouse.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  13. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

No, he probably didn't in the long term but he did in the short term. He's an interesting character with a lot more depth than he's given credit for but I don't think he understands that not everyone is as passionate about football as him. I much prefer his attitude to Moyes' though.

As for disciplining players, I do think players should take more of the blame for poor performances than managers. Some journalist said it on 5 live yesterday- its unfair that Ranieri should be sacked for player's poor performances.

14. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I don't really think we played well or alright at all. I think people are only thinking that because we stayed in the game for the majority and came so close to an equaliser.

We still fail to do the basics right. Things as simple as tracking runners, closing down, passing. We're god awful at them and it's the reason we are where we are.

Everton weren't great yesterday, but they never really broke out of second gear, and didn't have to.

BIG BAZ likes this.
  15. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

And we replace Moyes with who?

16. mackemwelder

It's a funny old game mate, anything can happen.

17. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

I'll take anybody above moyes now pal. The dead beat has no fight and by the looks of him he is just waiting to get sack.

18. mackemwelder

I'm not defending the bloke mate, but the constant change of managers is the very reason the club is in such a mess both on and off the pitch. It has to stop for us to have any hope of being a competitive club. Keep swapping managers and we just get deeper and deeper into financial difficulties.

clockstander likes this.
  19. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

But the way I see it is if we didn't sack managers over the years then we would of went down years ago. I'll put this to you pal, if moyes takes us down would you keep him as manager even knowing he failed at his job.

20. mackemwelder

Yes i would mate. Like i said, stability is the key to us not imploding and ending up with the administrators coming in if ES just ****s off. We're in this mess for a reason, we change managers, new manager comes in and wants to spend money. We spend money and hey-ho, we're still in the ****. A new manager comes in and wants more money, gets it and **** me, we're still in the ****. All the while we're getting deeper and deeper into the red.

IMO Big Sam was the man to turn us around, i'm 100% convinced he would have, but he ****ed off and left Moyes a right pile of **** to clean up. **** squad, no money, massive injury list to key players, not much time to do a lot in the summer and no money to do anything in January. Any manager would have struggled to shape our **** squad. Lets face it, apart from a few players, our squad is way below EPL standards and regardless of what happens come the end of the season, it requires a massive overhaul.

RTB, Nacho and cumbrianmackem like this.