1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euro 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Tewkesbury Addick, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Despite the general air of indifference on this board, I thought I might as well start one.

Even taking into account the ineptitude of the referee in the opening game, I thought this was a fine start. Opening game, showcase for the tournament, and you get a donkey like that - unforgiveable. Talking of donkeys, first of many half-witted quotes by one commentator "We're probably watching the worst two sides in the competition here." Eh? After two-thirds of a game you can tell that?

Have to say that Russia looked awesome at times and if it hadn't been for that bloke squandering several chances, could have had a hatful. Why exactly couldn't Arshavin have played like that for Arsenal? Pavulychenko's goal right out of the top drawer - haven't seen Cech look so shell-shocked in a while.

Thought Gabre Selassie looked decent at RB, wonder if he's any good at the marathon?

2. Ryan-R-An-Addick

Russia were MUCH better than I expected them to be. Arshavin especially. Som hilarious finishing, yet they still manage four goals. Could be dangerous if they get a bit more clinical.

First game was still awful. All it had was drama. As a game of football it was bad.

3. Captain Blackaddick

Captain Blackaddick Well-Known Member

To be fair, Poland and Greece are 2 poor sides, I can't see either making it through the group.

Russia looked awesome, but were helped by the Czechs being so attack-minded, as it meant the game was open and Russia's attackers could wreak havoc. The Czechs weren't actually that bad (Milan Baros aside), and that Pilar looks a decent player.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

The Spanish ref wasn't that bad but he seemed to take an early dislike to Sokratis Papastathopoulos and for two tackles that weren't even fouls, let alone bookings, he had him off the pitch. Szczesny was a little bit unlucky, he tried not to bring the Greek fella down but he did, he was the last man, so had to go.

Mary texted me to say he liked the look of some of the Russian boys.....:(.... completely ruined the rest of the game for me.

5. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Did I send that to you? Oops, my bad. It was meant for John Travolta, Richard Gere and Tom Cruise - my famous, but totally heterosexual mates.

The Czech defence simply made it easy for the Russians. Peter Cech was far too exposed (a complete difference from his clubs football). As for Poland, I turned around to my colleague after 10 minutes and said they would run out of steam as they were playing at 1000mph. The tempo was extraordinary.

Early predictions for this group:

Russia - 9
    Greece - 4
    Czech - 3
    Poland - 0

6. deleted.....

<laugh> Poland already have one point Mary <ok>

7. deleted.....

Was it Alan Hanson who said that he could see Germany, Holland & Portugal in the Semi's?

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Haha - I knew it didn't look right, but I had just woken up. Hand. Over. Face.

9. IA

IA Active Member

Was gonna stick a few bob on Pavlyuchenko or Dzagoev top scorer in the competition on the basis that they're very good going forward and their group is weak. Forgot to do that. <doh>

2002 is the last tournament I've watched where I haven't wanted Germany to win, and I've got Germany in the work sweepstakes. Sweet.

10. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

I spent far too much of the Russia game amused at the fact that they have a man called 'Alan'

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I had Benzema at 16's. I think he will get 4 goals in the group stages, then all he'll need is another 2 (which will generally get you the golden boot).

12. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

The spanish ref in the first game wasn't that bad really. He made one mistake with the first booking of Sokratis, but for the second, he was the last man and he pushed their lad to the floor. If he didn't get booked for that then it would have been appauling. First yellow was a mistake, but he couldn't go back on it.

Couldn't believe that Russian lads finishing!

13. Tewkesbury Addick

14. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

The opening match was superb to watch. Salpingidis' cameo was a joy to behold.

Muller of Germany to be top scorer in this tournament. Ozil to be the main man throughout.

Watch Denmark take points from Holland.

Trust the many decent Poles and Ukrainians to wheedle out the Nazis and allow the rest of us to enjoy the festival of football.

Come on England!

15. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

anderson and rommedahl starting at the euros today. makes you realise that how far we've fallen when they struggled to get into our team

16. CAFC TED

CAFC TED Well-Known Member

Rommedahl was brilliant I thought, he just never reached his potential, but when he did well, he was brilliant, none of this Waggy or Green questions of who to be at RM, he was always a first for me

Anderson was a great keeper but Myhre at the time was just better then him, wish we'd have kept Anderson, great potential and good to see him doing well :)

17. WWOCB

WWOCB Active Member

To be fair, on todays performance I think Rommedahl still would struggle to get into our team <laugh>

18. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

nice to have the option tho eh?

it will be nice to start having international players again. can see a few getting call ups next season

19. Tewkesbury Addick

Couple of good Addicks name checks from the commentators today. <ok>

Krohn-Dehli...sounds like a New York diner!

Cracking game again.

20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Curbs never forgave him after we lost 3-2 at home to spurs. IF there was a bad thing to say against curbs, it would be that he could hold a grudge.