1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England U20

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Jun 1, 2017.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Through to the last 8 in world cup.

2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Through to the semi's after a narrow win against Mexico.

3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I know that the main news channels have other priorities to fill their airtime at the moment, but although I make a point of listening out for sports news (primarily on 5 Live and BBC website) I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about this at all.

I've just checked on BBC Sport - Football and there's nothing whatsoever about the tournament at all on the main page - even our new signing makes it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40186873

Reasons on the back of a stamp to...

grumpygit likes this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

It's not the premiership.

In case your interested the semi final against Italy is Thursday at 20.00 hrs, I think that is 12.00 midday here.

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Half time in the England/Italy semi-final and we are losing 1 - 0, caught knapping and conceded in just 2 minutes, since then the Italians have done what Italians do, they now have 2 yellow cards but the tactics are working so far, and they defend their 1 goal advantage.

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Full time and England are in the final against Venezuela, the match finished 3 - 1 to England after Solanke x 2 and Lookman scored in the second half.

7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The highlights from Italy now available.

8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Great news....should hear more about this in the media.

9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Whilst the u20 squad await their world Cup final on Sunday, the u20 "B" team have won the Toulon Tournament, and the seniors captained by our own Hess have won the senior World Cup.
    I'll forget the performance of the full England squad.

AshfordGill likes this.
  10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

England have scored 1 - 0,
    Only hope the heat 27 deg, doesn't start to tell.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

1 - 0 half time. (Calvert Lewin)

We've had the best of the first half, Venezuela haven't managed a shot on target (they have hit the post though) they did come more into it in the last 10 minutes.
    As mentioned above the temperature is better for them than us. after the efforts of the first half can we keep it up for another 45 minutes.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Woodman has just saved a penalty.

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

we're under real pressure now with Venezuela pushing hard.

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

England win their second World Cup in the space of two days, Hess lifted the Seniors World Cup yesterday, the U20's lift the World Cup today.

AshfordGill likes this.
  15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

16. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit - not wishing to put a damper on the situation, but ---
    How many of the youngsters will be given the opportunity to play for their respective' Clubs ? England youth teams, in the fairly recent past, have not done too badly - but the players, subsequently, have either not been selected by their clubs - or their early potential has not materialised - suggesting deficiencies in the development qualities of the 'set up' (( at Club and/or National level.))

17. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Regardless of where they go or for whom they play, would it not be a good idea (Spain wise) to keep this team together as a future core and work to develop them so that they have not only the skill but a '6th sense' of tactics and knowledge. Just a thought???

18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

6 of the players from this squad were in the U17's team that won the European title in 2014, so it obviously works.

19. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

Lookman & Calvert Lewin were both getting game time at Everton before they went to the tournament. Cook was playing for the Bournemonth and Onomah has been around the Spurs match day squads for a couple of seasons now (including scoring against us!). Managers like Pochettino, Koeman and Howe all seem happy to promote from within and hopefully more players will get opportunities. It should be added that both Rashford and Alli would also qualify for this team.

As for trouble getting progress from young players that is not just a problem at the highest level, with exception of Dack how many of the promising youngsters that come through the ranks at the Gills actually make the grade?

20. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well - it appears that England are not the only team with fairly good young players. France have frightening pace and no little skill in their squad. The average age of their line up last night was only 24. Even with only 10 men they continued to cause many problems for England. It was clear that Southgate didn't know how to address the problems that were growing as the first half was ending. --- either that, or he doesn't have the quality in the squad to overcome specific issues ! Only a dubious sending off, reducing the French to 10, interrupted the onslaught -- from a team who are not in the top 4 in the World ratings.

The England display against Scotland was far from impressive. Against the better quality of the French, the English players were almost embarrassing. I thought that by playing 3 at the back, England would have extra players in midfield - Midfield - what midfield? - the French went through them as if they didn't exist.

And - as for Heaton - I don't doubt that, as an English goalkeeper, he is quite good - but I've watched him playing for Burnley - he has a habit of stopping shots by pushing the ball 'forward', as opposed to one side. He should have done that when he made the original save leading up to the first French goal. If somebody like me can pick up on Heaton's 'bad habit', why hasn't the English goalkeeping coach addressed the issue ?

Overall, I don't think English football fans can expect to progress too far in Russia next year - not when the team have to face 'real' quality (( apologies to Scottish fans )).

WINDYROG and AshfordGill like this.