1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL Team of the Year

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Delusional Full Stop, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Three Newcastle United players have been named in the PFA Sky Bet Championship team of the year.

The team was announced on Thursday, ahead of the 44th PFA Awards which will be held at the Grosvenor House hotel in London on Sunday evening.

PFA members from all 24 Sky Bet Championship clubs voted for the team and Dwight Gayle, Jonjo Shelvey and Jamaal Lascelles were chosen by their fellow professionals.

Gayle has scored 22 times for the Magpies this season, while Shelvey has been an influential figure in midfield and Lascelles has skippered United throughout a strong campaign.

The full team is:

Goalkeeper - David Stockdale (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Defender - Bruno Saltor (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Defender - Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Defender - Jamaal Lascelles (Newcastle United)
    Defender - Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)
    Midfielder - Tom Cairney (Fulham)
    Midfielder - Anthony Knockaert (Brighton & Hove Albion)
    Midfielder - Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield Town)
    Midfielder - Jonjo Shelvey (Newcastle United)
    Forward - Dwight Gayle (Newcastle United)
    Forward - Chris Wood (Leeds United)

No Ritchie but includes Lascelles!!! Otherwise wouldn't strongly disagree with it.

2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed that. At the end of last season I was impressed with Lascelles but now I'd put him behind Mbemba and Clark as our first choice CB's let alone a league team.

Ritchie is our best player, no-one else comes close as regards consistency and the ability to affect games.

Consett Mag and Obi Wan like this.
  3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Shelvey just about scrapes in, awesome for the first half of the season, and despite being significantly worse in the second half, has carried us through a lot of games.

Gayle and Laecelles no way though. Ritchie and Clark are the clear players in our team that should've got in there, way ahead of the 3 that did.

Laecelles has been error prone and lazy too much, Clark has been massively better. I don't like the way the Brighton keeper and 2 defenders got in there either, they've hardly been impregnable this season - midfield and attack has been there strength.

The midfield in that team looks okay, but I can't believe Tammy Abraham didn't get in as a forward - in his first full season as a 19 year old, he's been outstanding in a poor team, scoring 25 goals, certainly well ahead of Gayle. I'd put Murray at Brighton ahead of Gayle too, Gayle can't just get in based on half a season. Chris Wood and Abraham would be my choices for the forward line.

Obi Wan likes this.
  4. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Lewis Dunk getting in over Clark and Janson is a joke. I think Lascelles has been alright this season, he's be culpable for a couple of goals, but rafa put it perfectly, some players are playing too much with their heart rather than their heads! Lascelles is a prime example of that, but he's put in some good performances this year and is relatively young in defender years!

Ive just checked the stats for the year and there isn't that much between Lascelles and Clark
    upload_2017-4-20_11-9-24.png
    upload_2017-4-20_11-9-53.png
    upload_2017-4-20_11-10-21.png

Clark's the better defender, but I have to say slating Lascelles appears to be fashionable atm, Ciaran has 4 years on Jamal and a lot more PL experience. I think the best of Jamaal is still to come

Salomon #9 and G4rdToonArmy like this.
  5. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

I agree that Lascelles is not a bad defender and that the best of him is still to come.

Stats always make me think of the expression, "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Watching Clark and Lascelles I would say Clark has comfortably been our best defender. Lascelles is young and promising but should have been dropped/rested a few games ago and probably would have been if Clark hadn't been out injured. I generally like Lascelles but he, like others such as Shelvey, have not been at their best for a few games and dropping him would have been the right thing to do.

His two main issues for me are his lapses of concentration which you would expect with most young players but also his slowness on the ball.

Toon_Man_Sam1 likes this.
  6. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Not so much slating Laecelles, but he clearly ain't the finished product yet and has made a few costly mistakes this season - perfectly exemplified vs Leeds, plays well most of the match and gets us the goal, then switches off right at the end and doesn't mark Wood, and costs us 2 points.

After his very promising end to last season, the season's been quite a tough learning curve for Laecelles, hence he shouldn't be in that team.

Agree he's still developing, but he needs to tighten up quickly otherwise he could become Bramble esque - i.e. brilliant for 89 minutes, but all of that's forgotten cos of one stupid mistake that costs us points.

Toon_Man_Sam1 likes this.
  7. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

I have to say, looking at this team of the year, I'm very surprised Chris Wood made it in over Mitro, Mitro deserved his place imo

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I think Dunk is fair enough personally, Brighton have the best defensive record in the league. Clark or Jansson would be my pick for his partner though. I'd probably go Jansson. Clark has been steady though and our defence has been very good. Lascelles has had some outstanding games, particular in big games away from home which I imagine is why he got the nod, I just prefer consistency over a whole season and Clark/Jansson give you that.

I like Mooy and he has done really well but Ritchie has to be in any Championship team of the season. There is an argument for him being player of the season but I think Knockeart rightly deserves that honour. To leave him out of this is comical to me but I haven't seen loads of Mooy to be fair.

Gayle wouldn't be in mine. He's done well but he's missed a fair chunk of the season now (maybe a third?) I'd have to go Murray or Abraham up top. I'd probably go young Abraham given the side he is playing in.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  9. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Woods is ****. He's had a flukey season. Looked dogshit against us twice.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  10. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

<laugh>

Sorry, you were joking - weren't you?

Consett Mag likes this.

11. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I'm surprised any of our players made it they've not performed consistently

12. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

13. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Bruno has been very good, must have been close between him and the Huddersfield RB, Smith who has provided **** tonne of assists this year I think.

Dunk definitely deserves to be in there, been the main defender in the best defence in the league - same with Stockdale although made couple of high profile **** ups, made some crucial saves including a couple of penalty saves.

Didn't think Shelvey had been that great for you guys this year? Certainly not as influential as a player that was on cusp of England team should be?

Forwards is pretty much pick 2 from Gayle, Wood, Murray, Abrahams. Can put a case forward for all 4 really. Be interesting who goe sin for Abrahams in the summer, lots of goals and still very young. Can't see him getting much game time at Chelsea, and he'll be keen to carry on playing. Wouldn't surprise me if any of the 3 promoted sides are interested along with handful of lower Prem clubs.

14. Obi Wan

Was down your neck of the woods this week. OBVIOUSLY food was high on the agenda - found a great little Japanese place (Bincho Yakatori). A little 'spit and sawdust' type place you could easily walk past, but had seen some excellent reviews and have to say the food and service really were great. Good prices too. Obi and Mrs Obi were very happy.

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  15. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Never heard but just googled it. Been to the Chinese place a little bit further down that road.

Must admit I would normally eat further in around the lanes when do go into town. Moshi moshi is the more mainstream Japanese sushi place further along, nice in there although not had much Japanese to compare it to.

16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Did you get caught up in all the celebrations on Monday after the game or weren't about then?

17. Obi Wan

Nah it was Tuesday although some were STILL out celebrating.

18. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Never mind that ****

Any advice on a bar I can get a good booth in for my date tonight ? Given it's Friday night it might be difficult to get a good one

19. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Think they've been celebrating all week, players included <laugh>

20. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

"Bubble burst"

"Heartache"

NUFC Champions.

<cheers>