1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL has written to Huddersfield to " regarding team selection"

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by durbar2003, May 2, 2017.

1. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

The EFL has written to Huddersfield to "request their observations regarding team selection" for Saturday's 2-0 defeat by Birmingham City.

The Terriers made 10 changes for the trip to St Andrew's after sealing a Championship play-off place with a midweek win at Wolves.

Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray later questioned Town's line-up.

Rovers, who occupy the final relegation place, are two points behind Harry Redknapp's Blues with one game to play.

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Maybe Wagner received a brown envelope from Rosie...<laugh>

Uber_Hoop and UTRs like this.
  3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I don't see the issue myself. Huddersfield doing what's best for Huddersfield by picking a team of eleven Huddersfield players. Why should they worsen their own chances just to help better Blackburn's (or ours)?

Ninj likes this.
  4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that Blackburn made 10 changes to their side when they ironically played Huddersfield earlier this season. Ipswich also made 9 changes when they played Rotherham but nothing was said on either occasion and I doubt it would've this time if Huddersfield had won.

5. Bwood_Ranger

If he'd just picked ten squad players (professional footballers, paid to play Championship football) rather than the ten fattest blokes in the crowd it wouldn't be an issue.

6. bunmahon_ranger

bunmahon_ranger Well-Known Member

What happened with aiming to get third spot anyway for the 2nd leg advantage? Maybe trying to avoid Fulham?

fulham traveller likes this.
  7. Bwood_Ranger

Sheff Wed have Fulham on Saturday and will want to lose to avoid them in the playoffs.

8. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Don't see anything wrong with it. Hollow has been doing it for weeks with us!!

9. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Nothing at all unless your club is relegated as a result of Huddersfield chucking matches to try to get who they believe is the weakest play off contender. I wonder how many of you would be saying it's ok if we had lost on Saturday. The whole purpose of competitive sport is that you put out a team to win. It's unprofessional and unfair to other sides if you don't. There is one way I suppose of dealing with it. The offending team loses its gate receipts and tv money if they do so.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

It's complete bollocks. Huddersfield's team had averaged 25 appearances this season. It's not like they picked the eleven fattest blokes in the crowd for a laugh. They picked their own professional footballers for a game of football. The 'first' team is in indifferent form.

Forest, Blackburn (and us) are where they are because of **** owners, **** managers and **** players. We used the Brighton game to give that fat **** Ravel a chance to waddle around. That was far more throwing the game than what Huddersfield did when they apparently played ok.

durbar2003 and bobmid like this.

11. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It happens in the cups all the time big teams fielding weaker starting elevens.

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

And give them the 3rd place team in the play offs.

13. Bwood_Ranger

Could be awkward when they have to play themselves. The second XI can't even beat Birmingham.

14. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

For me, the issue is not whether Huddersfield had the right to make those changes against Birmingham. It is about the integrity of the FL & the perception that this has given. I've no doubt that they believe this could harm their ability to sell the product to the rest of the world.

English football has long declared that it is "above" this type of practice & that every club will do it's utmost in every match. I'm not saying that Huddersfield didn't do that, but it is a claim that would be perceived to be highly debatable by the majority. Only a top class salesman would attempt to do so. The truth, of course, is that matches towards the end of the season have always given some strange results due to only one side being interested. We have certainly been guilty of this & I'm sure we've also benefitted.

However, the FL (and other clubs) should have been raising this with the club directly after Wagner informed the world that this was what they intended to do. I would also say that had they not changed their side, the chosen eleven would have given far less effort that those that did play.

Therefore, in conclusion, I have not a clue what the FL should be doing!

15. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Huddersfield was playing against 10 men for at least 70mins!

16. YorkshireHoopster

Forgot about Ravel. He's different though. Some think he is a 'special one' Others like you and me think he's a twat. However he was not selected to play because Olly couldn't be arsed to try and win the game. He was selected because it was thought stupidly he might have a positive influence. Stupidity rather than cynicism.

17. Bwood_Ranger

Fair enough. I'll see your Ravel and raise you Goss at Brentford, Petrasso at home to someone at right wing-back, Goss at Villa etc. Holloway did his little run of random team selections to experiment, rest players and give some a go in relatively meaningless games, all in QPR's interest long term but reducing our chances of getting anything from them, contributing to six defeats. I don't see the difference, honestly.

18. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Difference is that Huddersfield did this when they were safely in the Play Offs and with no chance of an automatic promotion place. They also didn't føkk about changing half the team they changed the whole lot. Smart but cynical, and no doubt they have figured they'll get a slapping from the EFL, but not their play off place taken away.

Holloway experimented before we were safe and came pretty close to getting us relegated. Stupid and more stupid. He ought to lose his job for that alone, but he probably won't because Ferdinand has publicly ok'd it.

19. YorkshireHoopster

And that my friends says it all and explains clearly why it should never happen. We the paying punters are the ones who subsidise this. It's a matter of degree. Clubs who do it should be made to reimburse their own fans for not trying. I don't see the point in paying to watch them to stroll about. The difference really between Watford and us is that I draw the line at taking the piss out of other clubs who may suffer because, for whatever reason, you can't be bothered to try to win a game. As you say we didn't. I suppose it can be argued that the team at Bristol City was not our best team but then who really knew what was given that the previous winning streak had also involved an ever-changing cast. In fairness you'd have to say that Bristol City would have beaten any permutation we put out against them that day

QPR Oslo likes this.
  20. Bwood_Ranger

My point is our manager did what he thought was best for the club. Wagner is too. The only difference is Holloway was stupid enough to do it and put us at risk while every Hudd fan backs Wagner.

There's no integrity left in the competition to defend. Look out for number one because the EFL certainly ****ing won't.

QPR Oslo likes this.