1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL fines us £3k

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

EFL statement... http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-checkatrade-trophy-update-3419509.aspx#7rSPyfE8iEbuLcj9.99

EFL Clubs have today been notified of the fines issued for rule breaches in Round One of this season’s Checkatrade Trophy.

All of the offences punished were due to a failure to meet competition rule 7.3 of fielding a full strength team in and during all matches. The EFL did take into account a number of mitigating factors and also considered transgressions that were not within the spirit of the rules.

The ‘full strength’ policy for the season 2016/17 competition was five of the starting line-up must have started the previous or following game (a reduction from six in season 2015/16) or five of the starting 11 who have made the most starting appearances in League and domestic Cup competitions fixtures during the current season.

Invited category 1 Clubs were asked to follow a different set of criteria with 6 of the starting 11 required to be under-21 as of June 30, 2016. None of the invited clubs failed to comply.

The clubs penalised were:

· Luton Town - £15,000 (£5,000 per match)
    · Portsmouth - £15,000 (£5,000 per match)
    · Fleetwood Town - £5,000
    · Bradford City - £3,000
    · Blackpool - £3,000
    · Bristol Rovers - £3,000
    · Milton Keynes Dons - £3,000
    · Millwall - £3,000
    · Charlton Athletic - £3,000
    · Peterborough United - £3,000
    · Sheffield United - £3,000
    · Southend United - £3,000

The 12 Clubs fined have the right to appeal to the EFL Board.

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Thieving gits fined us £15,000 ! A total of £62,000 added to their coffers - that will pay for a boozy gin sodden Christmas party for them <grr>

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The £3k is purely due to us subbing our keeper in the last game vs Portsmouth after 2 minutes.

Luton got fined £5k for fielding youngsters in all 3 games.
    With their youths, the beat Gillingham away who fielded a strong side.
    With their youths they beat West Brom who had 4 1st teamers, 2 of which are internationals.
    They have qualified to the next round by using their youths.
    The EFL has fined them for doing this. Only the invited teams from the Prem and Championship can play their youths because it will apparently benefit English youngsters coming through. But apparently the likes of us lower league clubs, our youths dont matter and are not allowed to give our youths a chance!
    Their club statement http://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/luton-town-checkatrade-trophy-efl-3419548.aspx

I hope the club pulls out of this competition next season regardless if it goes back to how is was last season. The EFL has killed this to death now.

Im so glad we are out of it and I hope Wael pays the £3k all in pennies.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Easy money for them.

5. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

What's the point in having a squad if you can't use all the fit players in it

6. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yet the Prem teams were allowed to play players over the age of 21 in their line ups surely that should be a fine?

7. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

Thing is we haven't broken any rules. Bradford have been hit with the same level of fine for the same issue. Seems the only difference is they have the balls to contest it as no rules have been broken. Transgressing the spirit of the game? The EFL need to look at themselves for killing the spirit of the game and realise what a complete and utter F*** up this competition has become due to their incopetant meddling. If all L1 and L2 clubs that have been fined (12) decided to join forces and start legal action against the EFL I reckon they will back off. You cannot have two sets of rules covering one competition, especially as one set of rules favour the PL and Championship teams. Perhaps Arsenal will be fined this year for transgressing the spirit of the game when they play their entire youth/reserve team in the EFL cup.

8. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

I honestly believe the fines have been dished out purely to recoup revenue lost due to the boycott of the competition.

9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I'm sure the fans who turned up saw some competitive games.If it doesn't cost any more money it's probably worth appealing this.

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Dunford aint happy about it on twitter.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

From our OS.... DC speaks about this EFL fine! This is the short version though.

Bristol Rovers boss Darrell Clarke today expressed his disappointment at receiving a £3,000 fine for a failure to comply with EFL Trophy rules.

Darrell Clarke’s side were one of twelve clubs handed a financial penalty for breaching competition Rule 7.3. by not starting with at least five players who started the league fixture immediately before or after the Trophy game.

The imposed fine is for substituting goalkeeper Kelle Roos in the second minute of the clubs final group game in the competition against Portsmouth at Fratton Park on Tuesday 8th November.

The EFL have described the clubs actions taken on the night as a "transgression that was not within the spirit of the rules".

This is despite naming a side that included five players that played the clubs previous competitive fixture against Crawley Town in the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup.

On hearing that the club had received the fine, Darrell Clarke told us “I’m very disappointed in the situation we’ve been put in by the EFL as are many other clubs up and down the country. It has been a fantastic competition over the years but this season has been farcical. I do not like people telling me what players I can and can't pick.”

Experienced professionals such as Mark McChrystal and Lee Mansell were among the changes for the tie with the six combined changes accumulating around 850 Football League appearances among them.

The Rovers boss added “We didn’t exactly play youngsters at Portsmouth, we played vastly experienced first team players who we thought could win us the game. If there is someone sat behind a desk somewhere telling me which players I can and can't play then the game has gone wrong”.

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...-trophy-fine-3421489.aspx#8STyV1DEp0UUIpcq.99

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Seen this on the other forums, apparently taken from the Post site.

Rovers are likely to appeal the decision, and, speaking in response to the punishment at Cribbs Causeway this morning, Clarke fumed:
    "I've just been trying to get hold of the EFL on the phone to try and find out if they want to pick my team for Saturday. They seem to be calling the shots and I can tell you that I, like many of the other managers who have been punished, am very angry and disappointed. When somebody sat behind a desk with a nice warn cup of coffee can start telling me which first-team players I can and can't play then the game is gone. I wonder if the people who have thought up a ridiculous format that supporters up and down the country have boycotted will think about giving themselves a fine. That's a good question isn't it? It has been a fantastic competition over the years but this season has been farcical. I do not like people telling me who I can and can't pick. I hope we will appeal the decision."

He makes me laugh. Hopefully we do appeal.

13. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I don't think DC is the only one who thinks this competition is a farce judging by the size of the fines that some of the clubs have had. When will the powers to be realise that the supporters up and the country keep football going by turning up in all winds and weathers to watch their teams play in the league. If they don't stop treating this game as something they own then the supporters will stop going and football in this country will be full of foreign players as the premier clubs seem more interested in signing over paid players from abroad, some I admit are worth watching but a lot are not, still if that happens at least we won't have to worry about qualifying for international cup competitions