1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Edinburgh ( it's a long way )

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Sep 23, 2016.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I think that Scotland won't be far enough from Gillingham for JE if we lose to Coventy tomorrow !

Other forums are very 'lively' about JE's position as manager - and much criticism is to be found about his tactics and comments about each game. I have been quite tolerant, so far - but I am reaching my limit.

I can 'dismiss' the defeat to Tottenham. People have said that we didn't try enough - to try to outwit Spurs with brawn rather than brains. Maybe the accusation is partly correct - but I don't doubt that JE told the lads to not 'over commit' themselves -- otherwise the Spurs players will be behind our defence in a flash - well we all know how those tactics succeeded - but.......

I wanted to express my concerns about JE and his managerial prowess, after the Port Vale game. I didn't say anything - so as to not be 'negative' leading up to the 'big game.' Well - message to JE - they are ALL big games in League 1.

At Port Vale we looked good in the first half. Dack and Wagstaff were winning the midfield, and we passed and moved very nicely. Admittedly their No.14 fooled the referee enough to get us a couple of bookings - but once Pask was moved to RB, there was no more problem for the rest of the half.............. I'm not entirely sure that we needed to take off Oshilaja ( I know it was because he'd been booked - and JE was saving him for the 'big' game). ---------- so - why hasn't the manager been able to get cover at RB ? - isn't recruitment part of JE's job ? He's had plenty of time to get a 'natural' RB.

At the time of Oshilaja's substitution, Wagstaff is moved to RB - again, why ? Was that the best choice ? Pask was doing fine as temporary RB - and Oshilaja was more settled in central defence. We lost Wagstaff's abilities in midfield - where Dack was unable to cope on his own !

I expect that JE probably told the team to sit on their 1-0 lead - but all that meant was that we sat deeper and deeper. Port Vale deservedly scored their equaliser. At this point JE withdrew Dack !! He was the best player on the pitch - and looking good for the first time in a long while. Without him we lost any chance to hang on for a draw - as one of the 197 Gills fans at Vale Park, I felt Dack's substitution was an insult to our fans - we pay good money - and expect to see our best players and tactics.

If that wasn't bad enough - Dack was replaced by JET -- you know him -- he's the one player who won't be a blur on your smartphone pictures ! I am becoming increasingly disenchanted ( P'd off ), by Thomas's inability to work. Does JE not see that JE-T is not worthy of wearing the shirt ?

I actually believe that the players we have (including the bag of cement), have enough individual ability that should mean that Gills should be in the top positions of L1 - but the best is not being brought out of them. . I have sympathy for JE regarding injuries - but he has unnecessarily used players in the wrong positions too often ( not always through a lack of choice ) - and certainly used the wrong formation and tactics too many times. These are within the remit of JE. He needs to start seeing the situation for what it is - and he needs to be honest with the fans. He doesn't need to treat me like a fool - by saying that [ at Scunthorpe], we looked comfortable when we had the ball ------------- well I counted 5 times when we 'comfortably' had the ball --- and if we're not careful, we could be on the end of a few more 'comfortable' 0-5 scorelines before the end of the season.

JE - the players are good enough - are you ?

grumpygit likes this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always,
    If your standing up, then sit down!
    I'm in 100% agreement with you.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

below is a comment from Jed after Wednesdays defeat, Having not won a game in the last 5, 4 being losses, does he really want to be judged on that?
    My Judgement so far is "what reaction"

“We’ve been beaten before and we’ll be beaten again,” said Edinburgh. “I’ve always said that it is about the reaction you show after you’ve been beaten; that’s a big sign of the character and the togetherness in the group, and that’s what we will be judged on come Saturday.”
    Read more at http://www.gillinghamfootballclub.c...atch-preview-3324239.aspx#73gLK7560T9Vdx8y.99

4. brb

brb CR250

Always - same as grumpygit I also agree with you.

Mr Chairman time for you to step in. You was quick enough in standing over MadDog's shoulder after we got promoted and JE is even more worrying then any previous concerns back then.

Also why did he not come over and applaud the supporters. I stood and we sang non stop throughout the game even when 5-0 down we did not waiver. Spurs supporters who were at the game have personally congratulated me on our supporters noise, that is some serious compliment from Premiership followers who must mass enormous attendances per game.

There was nothing JE could put immediately right after the final whistle than coming over to us in the away section at the end. I had to take time off work, £20 for my train, £25 to get in, just over £3 for a programme, £10 parking, then petrol costs for other attached travel links, so that's £58+ without including beer. Guess he thought we were not worthy unless you or he has another valid reason?

and like alwaysright, time to drop that bag of cement - thanks <ok>

5. superbob

superbob Member

I'm concerned that last season's brilliance has given us far too high expectations. Whatever happened to patience? We've had a moderate start to the season. And we're being frustrating because we keep giving away games from a winning position lately. I'd give him the whole season at least and see where we end up. If we didn't have Jed we wouldn't have been anywhere near the playoffs last season and we'd probably be moderately happy with our start.

Have I misread these comments? I saw someone saying 'Jed out on KOL ' the other day and might have just misunderstood these comments for that.

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You think you had trouble brb, I was booked on the Kingsferry PL express.
    The coach was due at the coach and horses for 16.45, I arrived at 16.30 so as to avoid the missed coach syndrome. 17.30 and the coach finally turned up, according to Peter they had a row with a Merc on the way. When we arrived there was a long walk to the ground, or I thought it was until after the match when the coach was even further away, I think we walked to Watford, although Jordan said it wasn't quite that far. So as all the other coaches were pulling off to go home, we remained waiting for two lost souls and waited and waited, for 30 minutes until they eventually turned up. Once under way there was no stopping us, apart from the road works in London, and the slip road for the M25 in Thurrock being closed, the diversion took us via Colchester and Ipswich, although Jordan said it wasn't quite that far. Anyway we did get home eventually and can't wait for the next one, "honest guvnor"

7. alwaysright

Grumpygit - thank you ! -- but they do say that misery likes company !....... sad days.

8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

superbob,
    All anybody wants is a good competitive game and a sign of gradual improvement, remember this poor spell stretches from last January. The questions that need answering, are we better than 18 months ago, is there a plan that sees us slowly improving month on month, is the football more entertaining than when Jed took over from the gang of 4.

I don't want to see Jed go today, but if things are unchanged by the end of November then maybe it's time to say goodbye.

9. alwaysright

superbob
    JE has been in charge for long enough for fans to 'expect' more than we have received - especially as JE has been given a budget that is reasonable and proportionate to our income.
    JE's tactics probably cost us at least a play-off place last year - and the problems appear to have reared their ugly heads earlier this season.

If you can bear to read my one- liners from games since middle of March - you'll see the same negative comments about our performances.

19.Mar. (A) Southend 0-0. A performance lacking quality
    28.Mar (A) Bury 1-0. Did just enough to win
    2. Apr (H) Coventry 0-0 Lacked creativity - few chances made.
    9. Apr (A) Sheff Utd 0-0 Too defensive. Sheffield missed 2 open goals.
    12. Apr (H) Walsall 1-2 After a good first half - Gills were poor and made little eforrt - not good enough
    16 Apr (H) Port Vale 0-2 Poor defending - no ideas up front..... I also wrote other less kind words !!
    19 Apr (A) Rochdale 1-1 Good point gained - but still struggling to make many chances
    22 Apr (H) Shrewsbury 2-3 Little quality - and poor defending.
    30 Apr (A) Burton 1-2 A bit of effort against a promoted side - but not good enough.
    8 May (H) Millwall 1-2 Not good enough in a must win game
    That's a grand total of 7 goals scored in 11 games by a team that was supposedly pushing for promotion !

I think you can remember the performances of this season. In the last 6 league games we've won once ( last gasp winner at Shrewsbury - after being 0-2 down in a game where we might easily have been 0-4 down at half time ). We've leaked goals at over 2 each game, and our all round performances have been flat.............
    I'm sorry if I can't be placated by a rare win. I don't believe that I'm asking too much - because, as aforementioned, I do believe that the players are good enough -- so -- who / what is it that's stopping them ? ( and I don't mean the opposition ).

10. superbob

superbob Member

Can I play the new signings take time to gel card?

I feel like we're not too far away. We're doing some things well, and others not so well. But Im sure it will all click together. Last season our target was mid table. Realistically at the beginning of the season we'd have taken somewhere around 12th right? This season, looking at the calibre of teams in the league, I'd think we should be pleased with somewhere in and around the playoffs and im certain we'll get that.

You're right of course that the quality of player we have is capable of achieving that and more.

I guess I just think that the grumbling has started a little early, that's all.

Grumpy, I'll take your point about November. If things are still the same then, then I'll have a bit of a grumble. But unless we don't win at all between now and then, I'll leave the Jed out calls until at least December.

I think we're a far better team in a far better position than we were before Jed. I'm so pleased with what he's done in general and trust he'll continue his great work

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

That's very generous of you always, picking those first 4 games, if you go back another 2 from:-

05/03/2016 Scunthorpe - 0 - 0
    12/03/2016 Crewe - 3 - 0

then you show 6 games undefeated with 5 clean sheets and 10 points, our best run of results from January until the end of the season.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Your pleased that he took a winning team at the beginning of last season, and moulded them into a losing team by January!
    I think maybe your easily pleased. :emoticon-0136-giggl

13. superbob

superbob Member

Hey, be nice! Surely we can agree theres been somewhat if an evolution at the club over the last couple of years? I think jed has played a big part in that.

Although admittedly you could say it all started with the go4...

I could, of course, just be talking nonsense. I've been off sick from work today, so forgive me if I am!

14. alwaysright

grumpygit - the Crewe result was against a shockingly poor team ( relegated ) - and, on the day, we weren't exactly brilliant ------ and I was kind not to highlight the result of the last 4 home games ( 4 DEFEATS ).
    I could have gone back further - but that would have highlighted our demise even more than I already have - and with players [apart from Egan], who are ( on paper ), of a better standard.
    From the latter end of last season, ( after we got ourselves in a great position to challenge for promotion ), JE has used the wrong formation and tactics too many times -- and not always because of injuries. I am prepared to be patient for a little longer - and hope that we can soon have a full squad from which to select our team - and I am sure that things will improve to the point where people do not have to use the word 'relegation' in the month of September........... However will JE improve his decision making ? - It's no good having tools which you don't know how to use or hold ! -- for example - J E-T needs a rocket up his **** but can JE deliver it ? There are several other mistakes that JE repeats which needs sorting. When JE assembles a full toolbox, it won't be any good to use a hammer to cut a piece of wood ! Will JE learn that ? For the sake of all of us - I sincerely hope so.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    WINDYROG and grumpygit like this.
  15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I know that I can sometimes allow emotion to cloud my judgement when talking football, with this in mind I decided to re-evaluate our recent form. January 2nd 2016 we were in the 2nd automatic promotion place, we have since then played 29 games and earned 30 points (1.034 points per game) having scored 34 goals and conceded 42 (GD -8)

In the cold light of day, I still stand by my comment that I need to see improvement, maybe my expectations are too high but isn't that what keeps us turning up every week.

WINDYROG likes this.
  16. alwaysright

grumpygit
    Are your expectations great ? Am I getting on your pip ? Is Lord Sondes clock stopped at 8.40 ? Should we rename our ground Satis House ? Are you wondering what the dickens am I on about ? Well, let's hope that at 5pm you'll be saying " please sir, can I have some more?"

17. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Strange that you should say that always, I live near to Gads Hill and my son was schooled there, I have spent many an hour in the library where Dickens penned a lot of his novels.

18. patchy70

patchy70 Well-Known Member

My views are this:
    The form since and including the Wigan game would give us 47.5 points across the path of an entire season. I also worked out the other day that we are on course to concede 86 goals from league goals conceded this season (can't remember if these two were before/after the Vale game). Something isn't quite working at the moment. The drastic changing of tactics and players suggests to me that JED feels massively under pressure as does the way he looks when giving interviews after the game. For those who know/follow my twitter account, they will have seen I've been very very critical of Josh Wright or whoever is meant to be covering the area in front of the defence. However I have been made to realise that perhaps it isn't a poor performance from a player, but maybe poor tactical decisions from the manager that leads to the defence having such a seemingly alarming lack of protection from midfield.
    We lack something in defence and we lack something up front which isn't exactly a great recipe for success! The twitter account @experimental361 showed a graph based on teams quality in attack and defence and sorting the teams in to 4 categories; Good attack and good defence, good attack and bad defence, bad attack and good defence, bad attack and bad defence. Guess which box we were in? Yep, the last one and the worst team in that box. This concerns me as after 8 games the table is starting to take shape.
    For me, JED gets until the end of October to turn things around. We will have played some easier teams, and players will be back from injury or back to full fitness. It seems that a fair few of the goals have been down to individual errors but we can't keep saying this over and over again. JED was a defender, Kerslake was a defender, Hatswell was a defender - Something isn't right there. We also seem to lack something up front yet we got rid of Lovell who was openly praised by Norris for his work on the training ground.
    Cody has worked hard for me recently but isn't a 20 goal a season striker for me, probably 10, maybe 15 goals. Rory deserves a chance, got a goal VS Swindon yet wasn't given a chance to kick on. JET - Well what can you say about the bag of cement. To be fair I thought he played reasonably well vs Spurs - brought the ball down well and tried things. Normally I'd moan for not passing but nobody really wanted the ball so I don't see him criticised for that. However, when he doesn't even work hard on that stage just isn't acceptable and he should be dropped for today's game.

19. superbob

superbob Member

8th? Level on points with 5th? <whistle>

20. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Yes i was shocked that we are that high up. Looks like a poor standard luckily for us. Only Scunthorpe look quality at the moment.