1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does anybody see Brighton really slipping up now?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Carnesaint, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Carnesaint

Carnesaint New Member

Hi saints fans... new poster here so be kind.

I know Adkins has stated many times that out goal is to win league 1 even with this ten point deficit, however Brighton have been monumental recently and I am struggling to see how they are going to lose say three games on the bounce, this is going to have to happen at some point for us to get anywhere near them, does anyone realistically see this happening? I do remain optimistic however!! COYR!!

2. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards <ok>

In all honesty I can't see Brighton slipping up now. Sure there goal scoring has dropped from what it was but I think they will win the league.

I think we will be close runners-up.

The play-offs however is very different. I think the top 6 has now been decided as there is a gap opening up...
    No disrespect to Donny fans, but I can't see them gaining promotion.
    'Uddersfield have recently lost Anthony Pilkington to a broken leg so he will be out for the season. Plus they didn't look that threatening when we played them.

So I believe a play-off win will be between Bournemouth and Peterborough. <ok>

3. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

As much as I would love the thought of being Champions of League One...at the moment if anyone was offering 2nd Place I would snatch it out their hands right now! ...Might be Saturday <whistle>

Play off's is last resort / worse case scenario .. for me lets aim for 2nd then IF ...(BIG IF )

Brighton have a bad spell , then we got to be ready to take advantage!

Welcome to not606 - hope to see more threads / posts!

Any problems, feel free to private message myself or Beddytare as we are Mod's for Southampton Board

<cheers>

4. SFCbwSFC

SFCbwSFC Member

Don't see us catching Brighton with their form.
    I think will will beat them because we are a better team, but this season we have not been consistent enough.
    In all honesty Brighton deserve to be top however Saints are the best team in the league!!

5. Carnesaint

Carnesaint New Member

Thanks Kingsland, I share your views and would be ecstatic to take 2nd place, with Brighton doing so well this is most definately our most realistic target if we acheive anything more it will be a huge bonus.

6. Joe!

Joe! Well-Known Member

I agree that Brighton are almost certain to win the league and we should come 2nd, but I actually disagree with you somewhat about the playoffs. I think Bournemouth are due to slip up and suffer some poor form, and you need really need momentum towards the end of the season to succeed in the playoffs. I haven't been impressed by Huddersfield at all this season and can't really understand how they have done so well, so I can see Dons and Posh fighting it out in the final as it looks like they might be the in-form teams.

7. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

8. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

its all about being in the championship next season!I don't think my heart could take the playoffs of the lottery though!

9. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Can I join RLGB and all the others in welcoming you to the Saints site Carnesaint...... If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to PM myself or Kingsland. We look forward to your contribution. Don't forget to tell your friends Enjoy <ok>

10. Carnesaint

Carnesaint New Member

Thanks Beddytare I am most greatful for the welcoming!

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Brighton may lose a couple of games, but I also expect us to drop at least a couple of points. My prediction is that Brighton will take title (deserved for consistency) and we will be second by 5-6 points. I will take that as we all (including winner of play-offs) end up in the same place..the Championship. If we do this, we have done well when you consider our poor start and change of manager. Posh or the Dons should win play-offs (sadly for Bournemouth). Once in the Championship, we should be the highest of the promoted clubs but I expect a year of consolidation.

12. beanysaint

beanysaint Member

I think Brighton, unless they have a horrendous run of form, are nailed on top 2. So realistically, no I don't see anyone catching them. However, Rochdale last year in League Two showed that it can happen - I seem to remember they had a lead of about 10 points and seemed to be a win away from promotion for about a month! I really hope Saints do make the automatic spots because the play-offs are a lottery, and although we are generally good at home, we never seem to get anything at the Galpharm, and trips to London Road, Stadium Franchise, The Valley, Dean Court or whoever ends up in the top 6 are all pretty nasty looking.

13. olddellboy

olddellboy Well-Known Member

Welcome Newbie! As much as I would like to dream, I really cannot see Brighton slipping up that much! O course they will drop points, but so will everyone else. so the 2nd slot is clearly up for grabs! We need to take our points and win those games in hand. a win on Saturday would certainly aid our cause!

14. Saintsfan4 life1

Saintsfan4 life1 New Member

Yeah in agreement with your comment. Think Brighton are there in the top 2. Most teams that start the season well usually seem to peter out after xmas but Brighton have been really consistent. They always seem to just sneak the 3 points. Whether scoring a 1 - 0 0r drawing 3 - 3 & sneaking an extra goal in the last minutes. We just need to focus on our results as it is all in our own hands.

15. hippysaint

hippysaint Member

No can't see them slipping up. Think Brighton are top 2 for sure. They are too consistent to slip now.

16. DoomGoblin

DoomGoblin New Member

I think Brighton have been the most consistent side in the league and believe that, injuries aside, they have the correct mentality to see it out for at least a top 2 finish.

I don't think Bournemouth can hold onto the top two and don't think they will do well in the playoffs.

I had fancied Huddersfield to be the main rivals - how they cope without Pilkington will be a big factor for the top two spots.

Posh have been as inconsistent as us and it appears a lottery as to who scores more in their games each week. They seem to have improved though in recent weeks so now think they are the main challengers for top 2.

MK Dons - not really serious contenders for top two in my opinion; neither are Charlton. The likes of Leyton Orient and Oldham have had good runs of form and perhaps Orient could make the top 6.

I always fancied us to catch Bournemouth; but think they will finish 5th.

I have a good feeling that we will come away with some good results in our tough away trips to come. We will need it but the win at Colchester made me more optimistic than I had been 3 games previously up until the Walsall defeat. I think we will make top 2 - and it's down to Brighton whether that will be top 1!

Even if we don't make top two I fancy us over two legs or in a pressure scenario to win the playoffs against any teams in it.

17. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

At least Brighton will have Stadium fit to grace the Championship, well done them and good luck to them, it looks cut and dried unless they go into total meltdown and that isn't going to happen.