1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Disneyland

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Nacho, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've always fancied a holiday to Disneyland and now I've got a little bab I've got an excuse to, when she's old enough to know what's going on anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has been to any of them and if they'd recommend it. I'm not sure if I'd have a great time or want to fight Mickey Mouse after getting shoulder barged for the hundredth time by the hordes of visitors.

2. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

Been to Florida twice and Paris once. Really enjoyed Florida, though very hot and humid in July - you are guarenteed thunderstorms every day about 4 pm, lasts about a hour then all dries up :-}. The Disney parks are great but enormous so not sure how you'll fare with the little one ( our boys were 12 and 14 first time we went so we didn't have to carry / push them anywhere. Epcot was a bit tired when we were last there ( 2010 ) but still worth a visit. The waterparks are awesome as well, but make sure you wear flip-flops or similar as the concrete walkways get incredibly hot! Yeah, they all get packed but it's all quite amiable so think you will be OK unless you get frayed in very hot and humid weather.

We also went to Universal Islands of Adventure, which was also great ( think it's now owned by Disney as well! ) and if you like fish and things you've got to go to Seaworld.

I always thought the 'have a nice day' culture was somewhat false but they are really genuine and the customer service in the parks is absolutely fabulous!

Hated Disneyland Paris - exact opposite - full of very rude/indifferent Europeans, staff and visitors alike.

Nacho likes this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'm a little bit fascinated by the intense focus on the customer experience they have there, sounds like Florida is the place for that though. I've always fancied a trip to Florida anyway.

Cheers.

4. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Book to go 1980 to America
    Then changed our minds went to Malta
    Never fancied it again

salad fingers likes this.
  5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Been to Disneyland - Los Angeles a long time ago (1986) as a big kid and had a great time.
    Also been to Paris twice, we took my lad when he was still using the stroller - to be honest he was too young and he can't remember even going.
    We went back a few years ago and both kids were old enough to get on the main rides and remember the experiences. I would recommend Paris for a short break, there are a few hotels very near to the park (1 metro stop) and you are not locked into the Disney fast food and high prices. A day out in Paris always goes down well with my other half. <cheers>

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Nacho likes this.
  6. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I was in Paris with my wife when my joining in here came through at Christmas.

First time there for me. Loved the place. Hoping get to go back in August when most of the population have headed south!

RTB likes this.
  7. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

ah gay Paree land of the gimmiegrants

8. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Been to Florida six times. Love the place.

Depends what you want out of it. Took mine 1st time when he was 5. To be honest he loved it but still thought the pool at the villa was Disneyland. If you have a daughter Magic Kingdom is the bees knees. If you want to go on the big rides I would wait until he/she is about 11/12 yrs old so he/she is tall enough. Water Parks are superb, especially the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon.
    Its hard graft as well. Total parks area is about 33 sq miles. Thats a lot of walking so where good quality trainers, not flip flops. Dont bother taking smart clothes either. T shirts, shorts etc will suffice.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    MackemInTheMiddle and Nacho like this.
  9. Burly Hurley

Is it gays, immigrants or frenchmen you don't like Roger?

10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've heard they pipe in different smells to different parts of the park, like baking bread around places to buy food and so on, weak enough so you don't consciously smell it but strong enough so it subliminally influences you. Clever.

Gil T Azell likes this.

11. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Its all about getting ya last dollar out of you. Main cost is upfront which is fairly expensive but once your there you only really need to spend on prezzies. Get the dine around etc it saves money.
    Whatever anybody tells you about it nothing can compare with actually being there and seeing it. Make sure you have a camera with plenty of SD cards or whatever they are called. Loads of photo opportunities.
    Include Busch Gardens in your itinerary. Canny drive but worth it.

Nacho likes this.
  12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Probably all of the above.

13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's funny because wanting to go to Disneyland doesn't seem like something the average bloke would be up for but there's just something about it eh. Sounds like I'll be best off waiting a fair few years for my girl to be old enough to enjoy it properly so plenty of time to save up for it.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  14. Burly Hurley

You make me wish I was 30 years younger Nacho.

Love your attitude to life mate.

Maybe best wait until your little princess is old enough to enjoy the moment with you though.

I took my oldest to Whipsnade many a year ago. He hand fed the elephants. It was pretty special for all of us. Except he doesn't remember it. He was too young.

Nacho likes this.
  15. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

told you before but out ,

16. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I loved Disneyland when I went as a kid, we went on a school trip when I was about 13 to Paris.

I think the best part was seeing and doing it all with mates though, I doubt I'd have had half as much fun if it was just me with my parents, so perhaps think about tagging another couple with their kid(s) onto the trip.

Nacho likes this.
  17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I was in Disneyland Paris last week Nacho. Had a cracking time away with the family - loads of photos and stuff and spent an absolute fortune - I'd recommend trying to get the half board plus meal plan otherwise it's stupid money to eat over there (worked out in the 4 days we'd have spent £800+ on food for the 4 of us)

It's for kids as well so make sure you take the little one :)

Gil T Azell, Nacho and Burly Hurley like this.
  18. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

School trip to PARIS!!!!????

We went to a power station near Hartlepool.

19. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

It was privately funded to be fair, we went to all the **** places too. All the way to the lakes, to dig worms ffs.

20. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Don't know the age of your tot mate, but from experience, wait until they are at least 10 (ish) for one, the younger kids can't get on any of the rides due to height/age restrictions, only thing available apart from the water parks, which are amazing by the way, is the little teapot type rides. That said there are hundreds of other attractions out there in Orlando so i'm sure you'll have a great time. Take into account the heat as well mate, not much fun for young kids out in the sun all day, standing in queues etc.

Nacho likes this.