1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Disastrous Season - Really?????!!!

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, May 9, 2017.

1. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Disastrous, No. Disapointing, yes particularly during the bad run when we couldn't seem to buy a win.

LJ does a good job of bigging up performance. 17th in table and scraping L1 by 3 Points.

Long term answer. Don't see too many teams that might struggle, other than Burton maybe.Care needed

Supcon72 likes this.
  2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

By and large I can't argue with the sentiments.

But it would be easier to take the struggles on the pitch if the words from the owner were either chosen more carefully or were consistent, or better still if he kept his mouth shut all together.

3. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

if he kept his mouth shut all together...... then the other half of this board would be saying, hes sat in his channel island mansion ignoring whats going on here,he really cant win

RedorDead and Supcon72 like this.
  4. Angelicnumber16

Well in that case maybe he should take professional advice on what gets released to the press/media.

Sorry, what am I saying ? That would indicate common sense and professionalism being applied.

5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

That does occur. Bristol Sport have a communications officer. There is also a element of control being exercised over former employees and discussing their former roles at BCFC.

Mr Lansdown owning Bristol Sport/BCFC and making every important decision can say what he wants.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If only we could, as they say, get all of our ducks in a row, we have ( In my opinion) a great owner, great stadium,facilities and staff, great fan base, good players, u21's, youth set up and coaches, temporary scouting set up, 2nd rate senior coaches and a 3rd rate manager.

It's obvious where our weaknesses lay of course, only my opinion.

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

would you sooner he took a negative slant and talked about not getting relegated, or the good season we had in Div 1 and that it might be beneficial to do that again and again as some teams do with the prem1
    BLACKBURN 11 OF 12 WHO POSTED DID
    QPR 6 OF 12 SAID MID TABLE OTHER 6 HAD THEM JUST IN TOP 8
    BIRMINGHAM 1 IN BOTTOM 8 AND 7 IN MID TABLE
    fLOREST 2 SAID RELEGATED AND 5 SAID BOTTOM 8 WITH 5 SAYING MID TABLE
    so actually other than QPR a reasonable % had them down there mixing it.. and this comes from the views of 12 of the "top" posters on our board
    agree with some of this .....enjoy the sun!

8. Angelicnumber16

I'm saying that he talks the talk but fails to back it up with actions.
    And it's hardly the first time.

If you're intent on getting into Europe within 5 years, you don't then lower supporter expectations by then saying 'but we'll not spend any money' on the quality we'd need to actually achieve it.

I think the best thing to do is simply ignore everything he says. That way you wont be disappointed.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  9. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Wiz - not sure the youth and U21 set up is all that?

As for senior coaches - things improved big time when McAlister got involved more - I have high hopes for him

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

But he never said Europe in 5 years that was Johnston.
    Did Lansdown creep up behind you one night and ****ed you up the arse with a wooden table leg? as that's some hatred my friend.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

City had a star up front. spent fifteen million to end up getting two points more than the season before. Yes Lee Johnson is a disaster.

Red Robin likes this.
  12. Angelicnumber16

I don't like the bloke and am the first to admit it.
    What you're suggesting sounds a bit perverted to me, but maybe you've more experienced in these things.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    RedorDead likes this.
  13. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

14. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

We had a star up front last season. Also our net transfer spend was less than last season. So in fact we have improved our position by spending less. Sounds like we done some good business.

15. Cliftonville

It sounds like poor business. The FC's improvement has cost in the region of seven million pounds per point. Its main playing asset was sold to gain those two points.

16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion that City underperformed, but your maths don't make sense.

17. Cliftonville

Think about it again. How much was spent and who was sold to gain an extra two points and finish seventeen places ahead of the might of BRFC.

The project starts again next season minus Tammy Abraham, or a Kodjia. Another excuse card right there..

18. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Here's a link I've used a bit recently:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/transfers/verein/698

How much was spent?: £10.63m

Who was sold?: Headliner Jonathan Kodjia for £10.97m, total income £12m

Net Transfer Spend: +£1.38m

Those are the facts, make of those what you will.

'to gain an extra two points and finish seventeen places ahead of the might of BRFC.'

I could scarcely give two s**ts about places over different divisions, and I for one don't use Rovers as a barometer of our success. You can pick and choose examples for whatever side of the argument you fall on. For example QPR spent more than us, but made more on sales too - does that prove much? Birmingham spent less, but made a significant loss (£7.6m). Burton didn't make anything on sales and barely spent anything, but made a transfer loss - both Forest and Blackburn made huge profits - what does it all mean?

...Close to bugger all in isolation. I'm of the opinion that City underperformed, though only by a handful of league places based on pre-season expectations. The fact that we started so well and self-destructed so dramatically has probably increased the sense of disappointment.

'The project starts again next season minus Tammy Abraham, or a Kodjia. Another excuse card right there..'

Only time will tell won't it?

19. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Right so finishing higher in the league and making a profit on transfers is bad business? Its complicated stuff I'm glad I've got you to explain it all. Rotherham must be really successful then as they finished lower this season and made a loss on transfers, hopefully we can follow their business model next season

20. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think we need to remember that the squad was woefully short of numbers because of the lack of recruitment in the 2015 summer window

For example - Tomlin was a loan player - some of the expense was making him our player