1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dirk Kuyt appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Feb 24, 2011.

1. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Dam that dutch clog

Well done winning, you dippers.

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Nothing like losing with grace is there, eh?

3. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

I've always rated Kuyt, you can't fill a team with 11 skillful players, you need a balance of hard workers, and Kuyt's engine is everlasting, he just keeps going, his wife's minge must have scorch marks ;-)

4. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

I don't even get the "He's got no skills" line. He can jump like he's in the NBA. He beats defenders on the byeline often and once again he's first to the rebound, as a quality striker should be.

Edit: This is who Kuyt reminds me of most:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  5. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

His second goal today came from an assist from Nani.But Suarez for the first goal was pure genius.The lad is special.I cannot wait to see the Suarez/Carroll combination.It will serious damage the health of premiership defenders.Liverpool didn't beat Man United today......They left them on a life support machine.It bordered on cruelty.

6. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

:emoticon-0150-hands

7. Thanks to Shanks

He was immense today, deserves all the plaudits. Suarez too was superb.

8. KingPepeReina.

Regarding Suarez,Just wait until he adjusts to the premiership.Just wait.The lad is quality.I reckon Kenny knew exactly what he was signing.I reckon he's a more skillful version of Kuyt,same build,same energy levels,same determination.He's so eagar.He's probably trying too hard to score.The goals will come.If he keeps providing assists like the two he provided today,we'll win more matches than we'll lose.I'm convinced that the Suarez/Carroll partnership is going to be dangerous.Very few teams will like facing those two when they develop an understanding on the pitch.

9. Marked Man

Marked Man New Member

Right Idea, but a couple of wrong players, and players in the wrong position in your line-up:

-----------------Reina----------------
    ---Kelly--Carragher---Agger--Johnson--
    -----------------Lucas----------------
    ------Gerrard-------------Meireles-----
    --------------Kuyt---Suarez-----------
    -----------------Carroll----------------

Carroll will hold the ball up, allowing Suarez and Kuyt to run off him, with Suarez running the ball into the box then either Kuyt or Carroll scoring the scraps or getting set up tap-ins. Suarez played in the inside-left/LW position at Ajax and is made for that position. I'd even consider swapping Gerrard and Lucas, because Lucas, I believe, is better at pushing the play forward and Stevie G is probably the best DM we have in the side. His bursting runs aren't what they used to be and he can't be everywhere. Let him add bite to the midfield and cover less ground in front of the front four. In this case, the right-side is pure graft, whereas the left is flair, with Stevie pinging forward balls for Suarez to run onto or Carroll to hold up.

If Kenny gets it right, we could be looking at a team with plenty of goals in it.

10. Kennys_Heroes

Kennys_Heroes Member

Yes, today was exciting, but most of all for the sudden explosion of potential it uncovers. Can't wait for Carroll to get in amongst the striking too.
    Looks a bit like a 4-3-3 from the line-up^! We shouldn't need to play all three strikers every game. But Dirk does seem to like playing up front :emoticon-0103-cool:

11. KingPepeReina.

I agree that we could play a midfield 3 with Kuyt on the right and Suarez on the left and Andy Carroll through the middle of a 3 man attack,I'll tell you why it combines strength and energy,because its not rocket science to see that Andy Carroll is brutally strong,but Suarez and Kuyt have bundles of energy.Suarez of course being the more skillfull one,but he like Kuyt is a bundle of energy.He's got a wonderful work ethic.He's not fully adapted to the premiership yet and thats why the goals haven't started flowing,but he would be a little bit pissed off with Kuyt for denying him a goal yesterday as I thought it was in before Kuyt touched it.Maybe Dirk owes him one.Dirk being as unselfish as he is will duly oblige.The good thing about Kuyt and Suarez is both of them play with huge smiles on their faces,they like having the ball,the ball is their friend.Man United yesterday were scared ****less of the ball.Which team has the more potential long term.Sorry Man United,Liverpool are on their way back.Liverpool are a ''work in progress'',even though there is no magic wand and there is still so much improving to do as we saw against West Ham last week,It does mean we are short of a few players of real quality,but the good thing is,the belief overall is coming back.Kenny has the players believing in themselves again.This is very very important.
    If the owners back Kenny to sign for positions in the summer,and its widely reported that Damien Comolli is narrowing down his list of potential targets that will be discussed with Kenny in the summer.And the owners are willing to back him regardless of the cost.Then the future looks brighter than it has in a while.I've even got renewed confidence.Where I was losing faith big time two months ago even with the new owners.

12. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the first time Dalglish has had 3 upfront. Kuyt and Suarez seem to have a blossoming partnership already.

13. KingPepeReina.

There is a reason for that.Its simple really.
    To make Suarez feel at home and to confuse defenders,Dirk Kuyt talks to him in Dutch.Players with equal bags of energy will always bounce off each other.Suarez is such a enthuasiastic player that the others will be delighted to let him have the ball and let him do what he likes with it.9/10 times what he does won't come off,but if he gets that half yard in front of the defenders,he'll kill them,and its up to his partner in crime to get on the end.The future looks bright.Suarez and Carroll is not only a mouthwatering partnership,its going to bloody dangerous,

14. Marked Man

Marked Man New Member

In all fairness, if there was a manual on what the perfect three prong attack a team should be, then Kuyt, Carroll and Suarez are the best examples around.

In Carroll, you have a target-man who can hold his own against the dirtiest of defenders. He has good feet for a big man and the odd moment of genius will shine through; therefore has the added dimension of scoring something from nothing like Crouch and Ibrahimovic do regularly as well as being a complete pain in the ass to mark and play against.

In Suarez, you have natural pace and skill, designed to unsettle defenders from any angle. He'll be ideal on the counterattack and one-on-ones; therefore a real handful to mark in any game, in addition to being the inventive factor in the box, looking for that pass or cross to set up Carroll and Kuyt.

In Kuyt, you have the poacher instinct and graft for the cause. Yesterday proved that Kuyt has a gift to be in the right place at the right time. He ghosts into the penalty area and waits for the chances to come his way. It isn't luck that he gets into these positions, he plays the percentages game. He was the first one on the ball from Suarez's mishandled free kick as he knew there'd be a chance of a rebound. For the Nani header, he hit the near post, thinking Meireles may have headed it that way if he'd made the ball first. Even for the first goal, he knew that by being anywhere in the 6 yard box he had a chance to pick up any scraps.

This set up has so many attacking options and threats. As Lawrence put it last night, all of a sudden, Liverpool have three different outlets to score the goals, whereas they relied so heavily on Torres in the past. With Stevie G adding the odd screamer and Meireles having a mixture of Kuyt's being in the right place at the right time or hitting a screamer of its own, then the final third of the field has all the potential in the world. Better having 5 players with the chance to get 10 goals each a season rather than one who may hit 20!

There will most likely be some good additions in the summer, but for the rest of this season, we have the chance to improve a set up which may keep us in goals for the next two-three years!

Get Kuyt signed up for that time now!

15. KingPepeReina.

Marked man.
    I still think we need wingers.The 4-3-3 formation with those three would effectively turn Liverpool into flat-track bullies.The majority of teams wouldn't be able to cope with a front line like that.I do agree that it gives Liverpool options.I also agree that having 3 players with 3 different strengths gives more than just Torres who at times was isolated and Liverpool were somewhat one dimensional.Chelsea gained serious sucsess using the same system.Drogba the bulky centre forward flanked by Anelka,the goal getter that when given an inch...took a mile and Malouda with bags
    of pace and
    skill who skinned defenders.Chelsea were defensively strong too,because they turned that 4-3-3 into a 4-5-1 when they didn't have the ball.
    However I still think we need two proper wingers for variation,as this system which will work 70%
    of the time,can be found out,as no system is fool-proof.You also have to consider the inevitable injuries.I reckon Kenny will sign for positions in the summer,but definitely our forward line is definitely healthier than it was this time last season.Even with Suarez being unavailable for the Europa league,Carroll(Strength),Ngog(pace) and Kuyt (Industry) will be hard to handle.

16. Marked Man

Marked Man New Member

Oh, absolutely agree KPR! I think we've needed quality wingers for a while, and I seriously hope we get Ashley Young in the summer as he's also proven to be effective in the above formation. If we can get him for a reduced £10m, I think that's a snip, but I think the Mancs will come in with £15m and get him. His form has been a bit more inconsistent in recent seasons, but he is a winger with pace and an eye for set-pieces. I see Comolli likes another Suarez - Jeffrén Suárez - as well and could be useful, for the right price. I don't know much of him other than he's very quick left footed player who can play either side, but he may be better than what we've got, as I don't rate Maxi or Jovanovic. With those two new players, then Kuyt may well be phased out of the side, but I agree we need options, and if Kuyt warms the bench for the next few years, at least that's an option we haven't had the luxury of having for quite a while now.

I'd still try and get Fábio Coentrão more than any though, plus we've been linked with Yann M'Vila, who could anchor midfield. A quality LB I think should be the main target, but if we spend, say £50m on Young, Suárez , Coentrão and M'Vila, then I think we will have a squad with youth, flair and quality. Here's hoping but, even without new additions, I think our squad is looking stronger with every passing game. If N'gog could find that extra bit of quality, and Pacheco realises his potential, then we have so much depth in our attack. Good job we have the right man at the club which can take us to that next step and breath excitement into Anfield once more!

17. JeezonTorst

JeezonTorst Member

18. KingPepeReina.

Its definitely pronouced Kout,even if it is spelled like Kite(Kuyt)
    Ruud Gullits name is pronounced Hullit.
    In Denmark a J is pronounced as a Y as in Jan Molby its pronounced Yan.Its the same in Holland as in Klass Jan Huntelaar.
    In Spanish speaking countries a J is pronounced as a H.Javier Mascherano is pronounced as Havier Mascherano.Also in Spain they tend to speak using the tip of their top teeth,it sounds like lisping but it isn't.