1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dirk Kuyt appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Feb 24, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Dirk Kuyt who is much maligned(Even by Liverpool fans) was absolutely immense tonight.He in my own opinion was awesome and deserved his goal,and was good on the flank but was even better in the centre.He ran his socks off,and part of everything good we did second half and I'm 100% convinced we deserved our victory.
    I for one value what he offers the side when some don't,I reckon if we can sign two decent wingers in the summer,he will get games in his favoured central role.But the lad will play anywhere for the team,he would play in goal if he was asked,fantastic atitude,model professional,I even rate him in that respect as high as Sami Hyypia who epitomised professionalism.Big Sami was up with the best in that respect,Bergkamp,Litmanen etc.I rate the ''Dirkinator'' in the same bracket.
    He could teach whathisname a thing or two.Dirk Kuyt=Legend.He doesn't sulk like whatshisname that left Liverpool for a small club.

2. Hizmo

Hizmo Active Member

Dirk Kuyt is an example of a loyal player. <ok>

3. KingPepeReina.

I agree with that,He's not the most talented,but then again neither was King Kev,but he does so much for the side,Gem of a player.

4. JeezonTorst

JeezonTorst Member

I've always been a big Dirk fan - back in 2005 i was playing football manager with some friends online, and I signed Dirk for Liverpool then - at the time no-one had heard of him. He went on to score so many goals for me, it was almost guaranteed that if i played him, he'd score. So I was championing him moving to Liverpool waaayyy before it really happened! And ok he's not gone on to score every game, but he's a real model professional and symbolizes Liverpool with his never-give-up attitude.

5. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

It's just a shame he's not used as a striker more. He's so much better there and holds up the ball very well. The reason his cut-ins and crosses are so poor is because he is not a winger!! I hope Kuyt extends his contract and gets used more next season as a back up striker (if Carroll gets injured) not a winger.

P.S. We need to invest in wingers...

6. KingPepeReina.

I totally agree Red,He seemed to do more damage when he played centrally.

7. Thanks to Shanks

He was very effective when he played in the centre, but Raul cannot play out on the right.

8. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

This would be a nice experimental setup we could try....

-----------------Reina----------------
    ---Kelly--Carragher---Skrtel--Aurelio---
    -----------------Lucas----------------
    ------Gerrard-------------Johnson-----
    ------------Meireles--Kuyt------------
    ----------------Suarez---------------

It's a sort of 4-5-1 diamond with Gerrard and Johnson in wide positions but not on the wings. Kuyt has the central position he prefers but he's not a lone striker - so should be good for him.

9. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

Suarez is even less of a lone striker than Kuyt, he would be wasted there. I guess ideally the front role will be for Carrol when he gets back

10. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Suarez wouldn't be the lone striker in that position - Meireles and Kuyt would be up there with him. Unfortunately I think Kuyt will probably start to get pushed out of the side when Carroll is fit, and Carroll and Suarez will start.

11. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

12. KingPepeReina.

Dirk Kuyt isn't a water carrier.
    The term ''Water Carrier'' was invented by Eric ''Kung Fu'' Cantona in reference to Didier Deschamp,so in my view,Darren Fletcher and Javier Mascherano,Patrick Viera and before them Claude Makelele were water carriers.They did little else except break up play.Instead of water carriers I woud call them ''Destroyers'' however Darren Fletcher isn't in the same league as Mascherano or Viera(well the young Viera) or Deschamp,very little creativity,but do what is said on the tin.

13. Muppetfinder General

But Cantona (hahaha, sounds like cantina, or water carrier) didn't invent the word so his definition is not the definitive. He's one bloke. I could just as easily say a water carrier is a plastic, like a bag that holds water and it'd be just as valid as Cantona's, if I wanted to be pedantic, which I sometimes do.

The 606 article takes a water carrier to be the hard workers like Kuyt who aren't the superstars but perform the coal-shovelling (pardon my mixed metaphor) every great team and superstar player needs. Which I'm sure you figured out.

14. KingPepeReina.

Is it not easier to say that all teams need grafters.?Or is it the same thing.Dirk Kuyt is a grafter,but in the 606 article,it mentioned Carrick.Carrick is neither a grafter or is he creative.He tackling rivals Scholes in being poor,His passing at times resembles Andersons and he's less creative than Joey Barton and Jimmy Bullard.

15. Muppetfinder General

And his name is promounced Koit, like Johan Kroif.

16. Four2Three1©

Four2Three1© Active Member

Yeah all teams need grafters, but, taking nothing away from Kuyt, I personally feel they are needed more in the centre of the park, Wingers/wide men should be flair players, In my opinion.
    It is rare to have a grafting wide man. Even teams likes stoke, who are essentially grafters all over, have Ethrington and Pennant with a bit of flair.

17. KingPepeReina.

Yeah I agree with that.He should be played centrally in the attacking role instead of outwide.He's a modern day Mark Hughes.A strong battering ram and he's rambucious.When Rooney loses a yard of pace when he hits 29,He'll be another Kuyt,Hard working,efficient but little else.Before anyone says Rooney is gifted and has great technique is talking out of their ring.He's nothing more than an expensive Kevin Davies.

18. JeezonTorst

JeezonTorst Member

2 goals against the scum in the first half?

rubbish isnt he?!

i can't believe there's still so many "fans" on message boards wanting him out.

19. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

What's such a shame is that Kuyt won't go down in history because of his play, but he is a massive part of the team! He deserves recognition for the goals he's scored - but I don't think he'll ever be properly recognised by many people, despite the fact he definitely deserves it!

20. JeezonTorst

JeezonTorst Member

I also notice Berbandinez isn't around slagging us off for once....