1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Did Kimi make the race more entertaining to watch?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Oct 11, 2015.

?

Was car number 7 the highlight of today?

1. Yes, star of the show.

15.4%
  2. No, a complete hazard.

7.7%
  3. Yes to a point, then it got silly.

76.9%
  1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Choose and elaborate. Outstaying his welcome or a jewel of the grid.

13020102017.jpg

2. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'd rather have some lunging than a train... so I can't complain about it too much, but it was a lousy outcome for Bottas. He sounded fuming.

3. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you're going to make a lunge like that you have to fully commit and get to the apex first to stop the other car turning in. To call the move clumsy would be quite kind to him.

He'd had an entertaining race up to that point but that move on Bottas was just awful.

4. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

I think his return has been worse than Schumacher's was. Even in his Lotus days, he had a car as good if not better than the Ferrari, and look what Alonso did in comparison. If he calls himself a champion he needs to drive like one. In the last two and a half years he's out qualified and outraced a team mate once. And that was Canada this year. What happened there? Vettel had an issue in qualifying and only just lost to him so it shouldn't even count. The time before that was Germany 2013..

If you made someone watch F1 for the first time not knowing stats and everything, I'm sure pretty much nobody will think he's a previous champion.

5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Kimi looked racey yesterday. But the Ferrari strategy helped Vettel but hampered kimi. He should have been out clear in front of bottas.

That Vettel Overtake was key.

6. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

He did nothing you wouldn't expect any other proper racing driver to do.

He had a go, made some moves that stuck, then made a bad one.

Didn't do anything much more special than a lot of drivers did in the race. Bottas made some moves, his one on Perez was a great controlled 'dive' and he made it stick. Kimi just aimed at the side of Bottas car and hoped for the best.

7. EternalMSC

Do you think it was ill-timed? With his experience would a pass on the straight, or from a closer difference be the better option?

8. allsaintchris.

He fancied a podium so gave it a shot, can't criticise him for wanting to gain a position, but lets face it, the move was never going to work so you'd have to call it bad judgement. He probably felt his only option was to catch Bottas by surprise, but Bottas was practically turning into the corner by the time Kimi started braking!

Certainly took Bottas by surprise, so part A of the plan worked.........

9. EternalMSC

Yeah you have to see it from both sides really, more worse however is that he ruined any chance of clawing the WCC away from Mercedes, but it probably wouldn't happen anyway.

10. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

At the end of the day, He got ahead of Bottas...Job done. He knows what he is doing

Big Ern likes this.

11. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Imagine if Kimi's move had been mad by Maldonado!!! What would people say to that?
    Kimi has a huge amount of experience and shouldn't have tried that move in the way he did. I know he's a racing driver but after seeing the footage I do think he shouldn't still be saying he thought the move was OK.
    I feel sorry for Bottas and Williams, they both lost a good few points.

12. happyal

happyal Active Member

Kimi's move was ill timed, and pretty bad. But I will not have a go at him for trying to pass another car. It didn't work out but at least he tried.

13. allsaintchris.

And he only got that WDC because McLaren imploded around its internal politics with Hamilton and Alonso.

14. EternalMSC

Considering this is 10 years after his peak of his career, you have to appreciate his pace. His race craft is faltering though, much like Michael's did.

15. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think it was pure frustration, which is unusual for him. He got the jump on Vettel, over defended his position costing them both time - this is where his position to Bottas was lost, not in the pits. The Ferraris lost 5 seconds to Lewis and 3 seconds to Bottas after the 2nd restart - I'm not for team orders but that was pointless IMO. Obviously Lewis was bored upfront driving round on cruise with only 2 cylinders, but the Ferrari was a fast package evident by them both setting fastest laps towards the end - Kimi new he should have been in front of the Williams.

16. EternalMSC

He should have done Bottas ages ago. Even better he should have been running at the same pace as Seb.

17. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I've just written about this incident in the race thread.
    Perhaps I should copy and paste?

Or maybe we should rename him "Kimi Random-man"?

100% his fault.
    Bottas was totally blameless and I'm gutted for him.

At the same time, I'm pleased for Perez – but by that stage in the race, third spot on the podium was properly reserved for Bottas.

EternalMSC likes this.
  18. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Kimi's fault, Bottas an innocent victim, gutting for him.

But...... fine, Kimi F***ed up, but it was for the right reasons trying to make things happen. A last lap, last gasp lunge for a podium Ferrari needed to keep the constructors alive...ish, given Rosbergs retirement, they needed to maximise points, as it was it only confirmed the inevitable. Bottas lost out badly but for Ferrari, it was a risk he genuinely had to take IMO.

19. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from, Cento but I have to say I wouldn't endorse taking a one-way-lunge – i.e one which has no contingency plan – in the hope of a near-miracle. Such moves are common-place in lower formulae – especially with adventurous novices – or with drivers 'hell-bent' beyond their own rationale, and are amongst the most difficult of mental disciplines to correct/modify/affect; but as such, they really have no place at the most professional end of the sport.

There are subtle but very important differences to the moves some might like to (wrongly, in my view) equate this to which have worked (Hamilton and Verstappen immediately spring to mind, for instance). The importance is the subtlety.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

I agree that drivers should take more risks. Most of the time they have to ask permission from their teams to Overtake