1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Davide Somma

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

So we all know he's a good finisher, but is it worth starting with Dave up front for us next season?

please log in to view this image

In the 12 games he started last season, United scored 18 goals, which is 1.5 goals per game.

Overall, United scored 81 goals in 46 games, which is 1.8 goals per game.

It's good to have a goalscorer like him around, but when it means the team scores less, I think we have to accept his role is unfortunately that of a supersub. The 4-2-3-1 formation we played last season was the one that worked, 4-4-2 which we'd need to shoehorn Somma into the team doesn't work. Thoughts?

2. leedsrevolution

leedsrevolution Well-Known Member

I really like Somma and it annoys me we cant play 4-4-2 i hope with some new players this year, we may be able to get the best out of Somma and Becchio up front. With Gradel and Snoddy on wings pretty lethal.

3. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

I would like to see him start next season in a 4-4-2

the key to a 4-4-2 will be having a decent tough tackerling CM to play the holding role, leaving howson free to play he creative role.
    Somma and Becchio first choice for me..... although i think McCormack may have a decent season...

he just needs to up his work rate....
    The handful of games i saw and the LUTV ... so probably not the best to comment on his workrate :)

4. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

I would play 4-4-2 and I would play Somma up front with Ross Mc behind him, although I remember reading in the YEP Somma saying he'd rather be playing off someone rather than the other way round, tough Davide. And yeah I would bang Becchio on the bench.

5. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Why? It makes literally no sense.

6. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

Maybe not mate, but that was my opinion, where the **** is yours????????

7. Simon21-LUFC

My opinion is that we should stick with exactly the same formula going forward as last season. Why the need to be so aggresive? And how can you back up your opinion by agreeing it makes no sense?

8. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

Yep I apologise, fair point. I wasn't agreeing though if you check what I said again, I was just acknowledging what I thought, wasn't necessarily fact. But I am still right <cheers>

9. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

BUT, on your opinion Simon, why stick with a formula that failed so badly in the last half of the season, do you not see the need to change things? The defence is a given, but CM and who SG plays up front is very questionable IMO. I'm a huge fan of Somma, and Ross Mc behind would I believe be a great pairing.

10. Best Fans

Best Fans Active Member

Why can't we play 4-4-2? If we'd have signed a DM at the start of the season, it would have worked. Becchio and McCormack next season will be a good partnership, with Somma and anyone other than Paytner rotating with them. Get a new CM who can tackle, get Howson playing box to box with more discipline than this season, Gradel/Snoddy/Sam/Aidy White on the wings, and that's a good team.

11. Simon21-LUFC

Us failing at the end had nothing to do with us going forward. We clearly had the best attack in the league so no, I see absolutely no need to change, especially by removing our top scorer.

12. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

If we don't lose either Max or Snod before the start of the season, I will eat my monitor.

13. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

Not saying it did, but Somma always looks so much more DANGEROUS when he comes on, LB may be our top scorer (just), but if we are going to get promoted I just cannot see him leading our line. There is more to football than statistics.

14. Simon21-LUFC

But the facts show that Somma is much better coming off the bench and we've scored more goals per game when he hasn't started. To say that we can't get promotion with what I believe is the top scorer from last season still left in the Championship is ridiculous.

15. Moltisanti

Moltisanti Member

Sigh, no the facts (stats) show that Somma has the better goal per minute played ratio, but as I said this is meaningless. Ha I have just clocked your Avatar, that explains a lot! I just think LB is overrated, tis just my opinion kid, stop claiming everything I say is ridiculous! Cmon Simon you can do way better than that

16. Simon21-LUFC

But as a team (and that's what matters) we score more when Becchio starts. We should be thankfull to have a striker as effective off the bench as Somma, not many teams do.

17. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

I don't see how a changed midfield would make us score more goals in a 4-4-2. The problem with 4-4-2 this season was that we had too many attacking players in it and not enough defensive ones (particularly in central midfield). Surely the introduction of a holding mid would mean we scored even less goals in a 4-4-2 with Somma and whoever up top? So for me it's as simple as 4-2-3-1: it was the formation that worked during the middle part of the season when we racked up most of the points and it's the way the modern game is heading. All the successful teams are switching to it now, 4-4-2 looks one-dimensional and the midfield is too thin and easy to pass around, to get slightly technical on yo asses.

18. leedsmadness

leedsmadness Member

We will play 442 next season, McCormack and Becciho, with Somma as third choice, IF Paynter is still here he will play if Becciho needs to be rested of if anyone is injured. Midfield will be, Gradel/Sam/Nunez, Other, Howson, Snodgrass/Gradel.

19. WakeyLUFC

WakeyLUFC New Member

Agree completely.

4-4-2 is just a very limited formation in the modern game.

Also, Somma is a good player in front of goal but overall his game is not good enough, he doesnt offer anything else to the side. And curently we are not good enough to carry a player like we had to at times in league with Beckford.

20. leedsmadness

leedsmadness Member

Thats why i think he will be a super sub next year , come on for the last half hr