1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dave Jones

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by rossij8, Sep 18, 2011.

1. rossij8

rossij8 Member

Keef sacked on Monday and replaced by Dave Jones?
    I went to Leeds yesterday and this was doing the rounds

2. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Its usually somebody s opinion turned in to a fact by chinese whispers. ie; bullshit.

3. OfficiallyRed

OfficiallyRed Member

Why would a manager as good as Dave Jones ever come to us? were skint, we would never beable to back him in the transfer market for a start! this will never happen in a million years! leave the bull to 1 side please.

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Millen ain't going anywhere,he's a hanger on,he won't be sacked yet by Sexstone and he hasn't got the spine of Tinman to accept that he is crap at the job and resign..

He'll cling on to the last possible moment and take a huge settlement despite City's financial woes,then he will kiss us all goodbye with a sweet smile and a wave and disappear into oblivion,WEALTHY, and we fans will still all be here supporting our team in league 1.....

5. thephatone

thephatone Member

Next doors cat spoke to a dog that went to leeds and came back saying Jose Mourhino wiil be boss at ashtongate by thursday!

6. andyyandyy

andyyandyy Member

I've heard Mark Hughes is in talks but wouldn't trust that.

Given if what Copout said was true (his reasons for leaving) there would be a few managers who would previous have joined us who wouldn't now

7. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

What did he say,I believe what was promised at the appointments did not materialise?
    Hence he walked.

8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dave Jones is a very good Championship manager. However, he's far more likey to keep you in the Championship rather than get you out of it - at either end to be fair.

Maybe that's the priority over there at the moment, and he would certainly be an excellent choice to achieve that .

The stumbling block might be his salary expectation - he was well paid at Cardiff (many say well overpaid), and I doubt your board will want to go anywhere near that.

One plus point for Dave would be he still lives in Peterston just outside Cardiff and he and his family love it there. Other than Swansea <doh>, your club would be the only real option geographically to retain his status quo.

Maybe the Gas would be another option mind...........<laugh>

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

DJ would be a good appointment,proven at this level.

Very well respected manager in the game.

But Billy Davis has produced better results.

10. OfficiallyRed

OfficiallyRed Member

Hence the reason why they wont be coming to Bristol City!

11. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

are you moronic on purpose? or just a bad troll? Why woulden't they want to come here..?

12. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

13. JamboBCFC

JamboBCFC Member

Noone of that caliber will come here. The board messed Millen and the players around no end over the summer so you can kiss any thoughts of a 'proven' manager at this level goodbye. If anyone, look at lower league managers with a point to prove. Tisdale, O'Driscoll and people like that are far more likely.

14. Premiershiporbust....

Premiershiporbust.... Active Member

OF and Jambo, you seem to have some sort of downer on the club being skint so just take a time out and think about it guys.

SL has publically stated that he is not going to be an unlimited funding machine for the club which is fair enough HOWEVER do you seriously believe that he is NOT GOING TO PROTECT HIS (CONSIDERABLE) INVESTMENT IN THE CLUB...?

I guarentee you that if he thinks it is necessary, he will put his hand in his pocket and bring in the kind of manager that is needed here to keep us up. This will of course include a budget for new players however you again seem to overlook the fact the CURRENT squad has never failed to achieve 60 or more points in the 4 years since we have been back in this division so we don't really need to bring in many...

In summary, things are nowhere near as bad as some would make out at the club, we just need to be very careful that the next man in charge of the club is the right man, a man who can INSPIRE players to perform to the best of their ability - this is sadly lacking at the moment...

SL went after GJ and if rumours are to be believed, paid a considerable premium to get his man and I suspect he will have to do the same again...

15. JamboBCFC

JamboBCFC Member

Prem, I know straight from one of our first team's squad's mouth that we went for Owen Hargreaves, Jones, McAuley etc over the summer but the board couldn't agree terms with them. They then decided to say Millen has to sell before any investment will be made, then repeatedly rejected offers like Newcastle offering £5m + Leon Best for Maynard. All the above is absolute gospel which just confuses me to be honest. I know I got slated on another post for saying I don't blame Millen as much as I blame the board and I stand by that. Behind the scenes they're making cock up after cock up and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I completely agree that the next manager has to be a leader and I really hope he does get someone in that mould. I would say that Tisdale is first in line as far as I am concerned, what he has done with Exeter is phenomenal.

16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Dave Jones......

Billy Davies maybe........

17. andyyandyy

andyyandyy Member

With the way the club is which is struggling. No money to spend and to be honest nobody knows who exactly is in charge it is a mess for anyone to come in but positive... we do have a strong squad which with the correct manager will do well.
    It will be a good opportunity for a young up and coming manager but cant help but think we will end up someone like steve mcclaren who is just a washed up manager with something to prove but will leave the club in a worse position than when he took it over.
    Hate to say it but we could do with a manager like Hollohead who seems to get the best out of players he manages and can find a good bargin (btw great goal by Kevin Phillips for them). Two young managers who are current doing well are Karl Robinson and Jim Bentley.

18. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

I'm not keen on Dave Jones or Billy Davies, look at their track records, Dave Jones in particular, both need massive transfer kittys to achieve nominal success. Dave Jones wage structure at Cardiff nyon crippled them into oblivion, it was ridiculous. If it wasn't for a rich owner buying the club up they would be in league 1 and sinking further by now!

Billy Davies can't stop publicly announcing how pissed off he is with whomever he is working for about not having enough money when he spends a fair bit compared to the average club at this level. As its already been stated, new up coming manager like Tisdale from a lower league would be the best option I think.

19. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Rumours, rumours, rumours!!
    The first thing that has to happen is for our current manager to go - somethinig tells me that's not going to happen this week.
    We all expected to lose at Leeds and we did, so from their perspective nothing has changed.
    However, with 2 home games coming up, bad results in those and maybe they might act (we would also be 11 games in).

20. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dave Jones was on a rolling annual contract, the remuneration for which was structured dependent upon success (however relative that was).

It provided him with the opportunity to earn a disproportionately high salary for a Championship level manager - some reports say £750,000 per annum. You're correct, it was ridiculous, but to say that "his salary nyon crippled them into oblivion" is ridiculous in itself.

The club was left in crisis by the debts incurred through the over-ambition of the Hamman years. Admittedly, throwing money at Dave didn't help the situation at the club, but was hardly his fault.