1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny Coles opinions/reviews needed

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by memoman, Jul 27, 2011.

1. memoman

memoman New Member

Hi all, I've tried this on the official brfc forum, but it got deleted. So I'll try on here!

I run an Exeter blog and I'm doing a new feature called "What his old club have to say"

Pretty self explanatory. I need to know what you thought of Danny Coles during his time with you. I will try to feature all your opinions on the blog... That's if you avoid bad language.

Many thanks,
    Look forward to reading your posts.
    Ollie (The Tiverton Grecian)

2. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Amazed that he moved to a L1 side, though the Bristol City connection probably helped. At his best a solid defender,
    but those days are long gone. Dodgy knees, so playing on borrowed time. His idea of distributing the ball is to boot
    it either out of play or down towards the corner flag in the hope that someone will chase and reach it.
    Good in the air, but no great pace. Tends not to be on the best of terms with his colleagues when mistakes occur.
    Nevertheless, good luck to him................................

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

for an ex bristol city player to come to us to wear the famous blue and white quarters, he did really well and his initial performances won us fans over straight away. he was a good leader and was solid for us. he then got a bad injury and never really been the same again. the whole of last season he struggled in a defence that leaked goals left, right and centre. the blame was not all on him but he can take his share. as 1 of the experienced players, we needed him last season but the whole team performed like they had no passion and showed no effort hense the poor season we had. he himself was one of the players who didnt put any effort in. a thread on our OS was made about his poor performances and he must of saw it as he tweeted saying something like 'if anyone questions my effort then meet me in the car park before/after the game'. that then got a few peoples back up. on his day he will be a rock and no one is getting past him. however it has been a long time since i seen that side of him. maybe a move away will do him good and a fresh start. i dont think he was fully fit either last season so maybe that could be a factor in his poor performances as well. look out for a lot of shirt pulling as he likes doing that especially in our own box. the amount of times he got away with it where even i would of given a penalty against us! in conclusion, great start then injury set him back and i not seen the same standard since returning from injury. last season, fitness was not there, performances not there and it looked like he had given up along with the whole team showing no passion and no effort. we had 4 managers last season and it wasnt until our 4th took over (his mate) when he began to perfrom better which did not come across very professional to me.

all the best to him <ok>

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lets put it this way,he is obviously good enough for a league 1 manager (Tisdale) to sign him up and the other lot got relegated to the 4th tier,he was good for us in league 1,loads of courage,good timing and solid with his head,transfered to Hull for £200k and played 30 plus good games in the Champioship,then took a step backwards with Bristol Rovers and the rest you know.

Good,solid defender,I always valued Danny,all the best to him..

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

above is from a city fan. ignore <ok>

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Had a terrible season last year. Played a couple of decent games towards the end when it was too late.Too many leaden legged performances for my liking. Hope he has a good seson for Exeter. He will need to raise is game considerably if your goals against isn't going to break records.

7. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Possibly the worst defender last season im afraid. The problem with Danny Coles was that he didnt help himself or teams mates. Rather than play the simple ball to one of his colleagues, he would blast it up the pitch and within 30 seconds it was right back at him again, and that was repeated throughout for most games. Decent in the air, but thats about all he has got going for him now a days. Prior to his injury, he was very good. As said above, its been a long time since we last saw the real defender in Danny Coles, and his time in professional league football is limited now to a season or two at best IMO.

8. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

I agree with kind words for Danny and wishing him luck for the future.

However, Danny on last years performances was not a league1 player any more. No pace and poor positioning.

How many of you can honestly say you would be happy with Coles in our current squad.

9. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Getting a picture here memoman?...seems to be a theme emerging! :laugh:

10. memoman

memoman New Member

Yeah. I predicted this kind of response. But Tisdale's a brilliant manager who likes getting players who seem to be weakened by long term injury and turning them into the great players they once were. David Noble ring any bells... :D

Thanks for your posts :emoticon-0150-hands

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Tisdale-Golbourne-Noble and Danny Coles...seems to be a theme emerging!

Good luck...

12. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

Memoman, would have to agree with you about Noble. Watched him a couple of times and he was a quality player.

Wize, i would actually suggest that Noble is better than what you have in your current squad. Why did you let him go!!!!!!!!

Memo, sorry my friend, this is not just bitterness at a player leaving us as you will soon see. I would also guess that he's one of your highest wage earners.

When he was fit and playing last year, i wish i had pasty for every time i heard F**king coles comiong from the stand.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Manga that is what a lot of us thought at the time but the lad was celebrating to much and it was affecting form and thats just being polite..

14. Mangadoogas

Mangadoogas Member

Wize, i think both clubs have had there fair share of players that like a few sherberts!!

Lets hope for a season that is rememberd for the players being footballers rather than drunks, rapists, punching or hitting somebody over the head.

I doubt it though!!!!