1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daniel Levy: League transfer spending unsustainable

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, Jul 26, 2017.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40722879

Chairman Daniel Levy has defended Tottenham's lack of transfer activity this summer and claimed the spending by other Premier League clubs is unsustainable.

"We have a duty to manage the club appropriately," said Levy.

Levy said: "Our position on transfers is that we have a coach who very much believes in the academy, so unless we can find a player that makes a difference we would rather give one of our young academy players a chance.

"The academy is important because if we produce our own players we don't have to spend £20m or £30m on a player.

"An academy player has that affinity with the club and that's what the fans want to see."

Someone might want to give Man Utd a heads up as they seem to be able to sustain their spending whilst also...wait for it WIN THINGS.

I get where Levy is coming from to a point but when you are close to challenging for honours you have to take that chance and buy in players that can take you to the next level, you don't have to go crazy and can focus on quality over quantity but it seems the message is clear in that Spurs want to be the new Arsenal, have a sustainable business model that gets them top 4 but does not want to take that next step.

This isn't football it business. Football is about taking chances, winning silverware and not about bank balance and business models.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Certainly appears that way doesnt it.
    Someone been pouring Cowardly Faggot juice in the water over in North London

3. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, a lot of owners don't see it that way. Many of them have zero, or next to zero interest in 'saccer' They're only interested in the club as an asset, or income producing model.

Levy is frustrating, I agree. And I'd like to see one or two 'been there, done that' players signed to try and help us to the next level.

But, as he says, there's a very expensive new stadium to pay for.....

luvgonzo likes this.
  4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

......of which the increased gate receipts will:

a) Be reinvested into the team
    or
    b) Used to buy the board's a third holiday home each

Time will tell.

5. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I think, tbh, they'll build it as far as they can and then probably sell to the first 'more money than sense' buyer.

The new stadium is a huge investment, tbf. Costs are now reckoned to run up to £750 mill!.

6. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Down with the Premier League.

Its a bloody mess.

Totally ruined.

Lost all soul.

Libby, AKCJ, Lovearsenalcock and 2 others like this.
  7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

All about the money nowadays!..

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Probably.
    There has to be much easier ways for a Billionaire to make money other than football.
    They are doing a decent job of it at Arsenal, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You have a very good starting 11 it's not like you need to break the bank but you do need to add quality. Llorente for example, experienced old head who would love to come and play in the CL as second fiddle to Kane, I can see why Chelsea are interested. There will be others who could come and do a job and strengthen the overall squad and that might be the difference between 1st and another title challenge that fizzles out. City have just got rid of Kolarov, would he have come in? Zabaleta? He'd add experience and Trippier would learn a lot from him. These are just examples though some will rate some will not.

NSIS likes this.
  10. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Yup.

The more I look at it the more it annoys me and turns me away from it.

I like other sports and hobbies but its a real shame the way its gone.

This season feels different. Not much interest in it from me other than simply something to talk about.

It looks broken although technically i'm sure it isn't.

Sky started the rot and Chelsea put it on collision course - driven and guided by the money pigs in the Premier League and FA.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

At least he's getting rich and wining nowt, rather than losing money and winning nowt.

He could sell the jewels of the squad and have that stadium more or less paid for I'd imagine.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

This could be a reality.

13. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

Like all over inflated markets it will go pop. Those who are in massive debt will suffer the most.

Like with any business, folk aren't in it for the enjoyment but for the money. If a business continues to post a debt whilst living beyond it's means it will only go one way eventually.

All the PL needs is for Sky to start dropping their investment and clubs are fooked.

VocalMinority likes this.
  14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

We almost went bust in 1991. Only winning the FA Cup and selling Gazza saved us. Just.

Chelsea were supposed to be within weeks of crashing and burning before RA turned up.

Imho at least one team is likely to follow Leeds, Southampton, Leicester, Southampton, Portsmouth, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Coventry etc into either crashing down to League One or financial meltdown. That's 8 established Premier League Clubs in 16 or 17 yrs.
    Only two of those teams recovered and both are a lot more financially well run. The rest have never recovered and all were established Premeir league clubs with only Pompey and Charlton being in the prem for less than 10 years (both were in for around 7 yrs).

I would rather we not risk our future and only spend what we can afford. Not all of our transfers work out (Paulinio, Soldado, Sissoko and Janssen etc) but we tend do well in general but spending what you do not have is gambling. And the above list shows how risky that is.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    VocalMinority and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think it's the lack of any spending is the issue, the 3 players I mentioned that would give you squad depth are a good point as 2 of them were free.

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Nah, he won't sell any of the top players, or any that MP wants to keep, unless they demand a transfer. Even then he won't make it easy.

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Not sure about the ex City FB's, but I'd love to have Llorente!...

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think the lack of ambition might mean that they ask for that move at some point. Might not be easy but they will then move.

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Players like Kane, Dele, Eriksen, won't go anywhere they're going to wind up on a bench. They'll all want to be regular starters.

MP has built a close group of players, who all seem to get on with each other and enjoy playing together. There looks to be a terrific team spirit there now. Something that was missing for years.

I think the majority will stick with it for the foreseeable future. But once the new stadium comes on stream, we'll need to step up.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You was worth a measly fackin quid before some Russian needed to do some money laundering.

Levy has done a fantastic job and is close to bringing the value of our club to a Billion thanks to some astute business over the years....and we have a brand spanking new stadium on the way.

That might mean **** all to anyone else but to Spurs fans it means alot...not only that but we DO have a very good team to boot.

Nope i'm happy, **** your trophies...you was having a dig at Pep for being a fraud due to him buying success yesterday.

Make your fackin mind up Bope you either admire a club ran properly or you dont.