1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Current (new) squad....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by stretchyboy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

So, we have, all of a sudden, had an influx of players coming into the club - but how will they all fit in, and who will now be surplus?

With no additional defenders coming in, the back five is the same - the only quandary is who gets dropped between Berra, Smith and Webster - I reckon Mick will rotate the three of them to give them all some time.

Now, midfield - it's pretty safe to say that Skuse will be starting, no matter. That leaves 2/3 between;
    Bru, Douglas, Hyam, Bishop, Grant, Dozzell.
    I think it will be a straight choice for Bru or Bishop for one position, and Douglas/Hyam/Grant for the other, with Dozzell going more with the U21/U23's

Now, up top gets a even more technical. With Mick now finding the 4-3-3 system, there's a potential 8 players to fill three spaces.

Ward atm looks a given with his form, but who will be up top with him.
    We now have Pitman, Sears, Varney, Best, Lawrence, McG and possibly Williams.

I think Mick will rotate Best and Pitman as the main striker which leaves (when all fit) probably Sears, McG, Lawrence and Williams (if he signs) vying for the other place - that also means that 3 or 4 of these won't even be included in the squad of 18.
    Varney we can safely assume won't get any game time, McG and Williams are both injured. Which all means that the 3rd striking position will be between Sears and Lawrence

Has Mick been a little careless in signing too many attacking players? - are any going to be loaned/sold?
    Should we have brought in another RB or LB? Are Kenlock and Emmanual decent covers for our two full backs? Should he have gone for 1 or two marquee signings as opposed to quantity?

A lot of questions, which only time will tell if Mick has been extremely shrewd - or a tad careless

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I think he has done the right thing, especially as no emergency loans allowed. We are fine at the back, plenty of cover with Webster, Emanuel, kenlock and digby.
    So yes he was right to bring in more attacking flair and cover.
    Oh and one more striker to come apparently!

San Diego likes this.
  3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice post Spanish.
    As you say, it's different this season with no emergency loans so you really have to bulk your squad up to be ready for a spate of injuries.
    I think we've done that well enough.

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Just need that Murphy replacement SD

5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We've got Best.
    I loved his interview on Player.
    Very composed and he spoke like he was really hungry to settle at a club where he feels comfortable and to get his career back on track.
    I'm hoping he will be the answer.