1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crystal Palace vs Southampton 03/12/2016 KO 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Everyone's views are measured (to their own device and in their own opinion) but it comes down to personal boundries and if people post off the cuff (at the time). Also, people in life (and on here) occasionally admit they got it wrong at the time and it is just emotions and this place offers a chance to remove stuff from chests.

I watched the game on a stream, and thought until the mad 3 mins in the first half, we were fairly good, in control of the game. Things like this will always happen, and to be within one game of the Eu knock out stage and in the semis of the EFL cup, im pretty happy with that. Boufal for me was trying to make things happen and will only get better with each game - he is on a different level for me.

The back pass from Cedric was fine imo. Fraser kicked with the wrong foot, and cocked it up - it happens/ed and he saves us enough goals, although could he also have come out for the 2nd? Is a shame Alex is injured as I would have liked to see him play - think he could be class if he gets a run...

I think it is generally acknowledged we lack 1 or 2 strikers and think this is down to Kat not wanting to spend too much (likely due to the sale) but I cant knock anyone for this really if I think about it reasonaly, the football fan in me wants Messi and Neymar however :D

If we are clear of trouble in Jan (and I think a few bad results we could be teetering, equally we could go on a run in Dec and be top half - I honestly think we may struggle if we go out on Thurs) I dont think we will spend, unless Jay goes, but could see the club trying to promote from the Youth instead.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

About this time last season (maybe November) weren't we 13th and calling for the manager's head? Football is a funny game that can change with a couple of results. We could be sat 6th today. Funny old game.

3. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I said the same during the game. I've noticed quite a few similar situations this season. Fraser under just a bit more pressure than I'm comfortable watching. He's dealt with them okay up til now but if you keep straying close to the line eventually you'll cross it.

He also seems to kick with his left foot more (maybe even exclusively?) since his knee injury.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fatletiss

I made a comment to my lad a few weeks ago that Fraser does let the ball run across him onto his left. He is two footed, but I think he is protecting his knee a little. I mentioned on the forum a long while back that I think he still has an issue with something; hopefully not a problem with that knee.

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Nah, wasn't a hospital pass. It was just horrid from Fraser.

6. fatletiss

Looked a bit windy to me too..... as well as the "bobble"... we should be grateful for a French manager who did "see it" the bobble, that is ... <whistle>

ImpSaint likes this.
  7. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

The morning after, so here's 3 things.

1. There are exceptions but it is still very hard to come back from behind, particularly away from home. The winning side can play on the break and if they get it right, they win. Also losing 3-0 is much more painful than 1-0 but in reality it's because they forced us into coming up with other ideas.

2. Playing twice a week until the end of January won't mean all our players down with cramp in the 85th minute. It will just be a 10% drop in performance for the whole match, or a run not picked up (Romeu has played the most games I think), something like that. That kind of thing happens sometimes, but it will just happen more for a while. We'll have to live with it and hope for an uptick after about March.

3. Am I getting very confused, or did we pretty much drop the "diamond" for the wins v Everton and Arsenal, then go back to it here? Until Sims came on anyway. Maybe someone who watched more closely can correct me.

8. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

First game of the season for me. Over from Holland for a week yesterday was desperately disappointing but draw the line and move on expecting/hoping for better on Thursday when I'll be in the Northam block 44. Enjoying seeing the family, looking forward to walking the dog at Calshot or Lepe, Sunday lunch washed down with a robust red and a few pints of Ringwood or similar should raise the spirits.

9. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. If he'd booted it with his right foot when it got to him then there wouldn't have been an issue but he's been letting the ball run across him for a while. I wondered at first whether he was just worried about re-injuring the knee but I think you're right, he's carrying some sort of niggle but with McCarthy injured we can't afford to give him any sort of break.

Le Saint and fatletiss like this.
  10. fatletiss

Mmm are you saying you came over for yesterday's game? If you did and it doesn't doesn't work out on Thursday, perhaps we should all chip in and pay for you to watch a stream!!

Dark Lord SFC likes this.

11. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

No need for donations firstrowsports or vipbox via Chromecast to my smart TV does the job if O'Casey's bar isn't showing a match. Flying back Sunday 12th can't make it to the 'boro game, 3 points please lads.

fatletiss likes this.