1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cotts Turns Down Brum

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Angelicnumber16, May 17, 2017.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Steve Cotterill has rejected 'a very good offer' to work with Dodgy 'Arry at Birmingham again next season as he wants to be the boss somewhere else.

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

SC's downfall was his stubborness to change. if he can fix that he will again be a good manager at L1 and Championship level.

3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Good Manager. Surprised someone hasn't been in for him before now.

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

yep very very surprised he is not in a job.must have had a good payout from SL.

5. Angelicnumber16

Personally I think we should have held on to him a lot longer.

6. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

So it would have been ok for Cotts to take us down but keeping LJ is a different story? Not having a go but I'm shocked with that statement.
    Yes Cotts was a hero getting us up from league 1 in style but lost the plot at this level..

BCFCRob likes this.
  7. Red Robin

Was it Cotts or was it above him that is the question:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think:emoticon-0138-think

8. oneforthebristolcity

Not down to above him that changes formations mate!!

9. Angelicnumber16

Cotts did something for us....Won a league title and delivered silverware to boot and with a record points tally.

Remind me again what Johnson has done other than spent a ton of money and avoided relegation by 3 points ?

Red Robin likes this.
  10. Red Robin

spot on,no comparison at this moment in time.

11. oneforthebristolcity

Come on Angelic, you know as well as I do, League one is a different ball game..........Cotts was gonna take us down, dreadful season....Looked for one £10 mil player to get us out of it.....stuck in his ways......at least LJ does try to change things when it's going wrong and by doing that, saved us twice!!

Funny how championship clubs hasn't been lining up to take him on....wonder why!!

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Regarding stuck in his ways. Did Mr Cotterill not use differing formations and styles at different clubs? As in very different.

Apart from the veering away from the pillars what I found questionable pre title and ninety nine points was Mr Cotterills football at Cheltenham. Long ball 4-4-2 to a lump up top and the same as plan B with two lumps. From this, City in contrast were quite pleasing to the eye.and his football elsewhere I gauge that Mr Cotterill is highly adaptable, and not stuck in any one way. He changes style to suit variables.

I am pretty sure given the largesse granted to Mr Johnson , and his three transfer windows Mr Cotterill would have employed differing tactics, formations and XI's if granted similar.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  13. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Oh ffs guys, you really are looking at his record with rose-tinted specs. We had an amazing season with him and she smashed the fook out of League One yes. But all of you calling for LJ to be sacked... SC's record at the end was abysmal as well. 3 wins in 23 after a quick glance. And yet some of you think he should have been given more time, but want LJ to be sacked... you can't have it both ways <doh>

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  14. Angelicnumber16

I agree it's a whole different ball game (quite literally) but the difference is that had Johnson taken us up and out of L1 and we'd then straight back down under him, he'd probably still be here now unlike SC. He is now clearly being given all the time in the world irrespective of results, losing streaks or performances.

I will give him that he managed a mini revival at the end of the season just gone to save our asses, but if we go into the new season and results and performances are poor by the end of October or early November, then the club will have a proper decision to make, and Johnson will have had the 3 Transfer Windows that his managerial record simply did not deserve, and he will be all out of excuses in my book.

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Yes Mr Cotterill should have been given more time ... No face palm..

Given by your admission Mr Cotterills amazing performance it is fair to think Mr Cotterill should have been given more resources. Post amazing Mr Cotterills record was similar to Lee Johnsons minus record investment

I think it is an absurdity that Steve Cotterill would have continued to pursue the same path without adding players to the squad. Bristol City were clearly looking at additional players in January when Mr Cotterill was dismissed. Players were signed in January. Fans are told that there is a laborious process in place where player A is the right DNA for the project. Clearly Mr Cotterill had to be some part of this process and was looking at strengthening the squad in January. Yes I feel Mr Cotterill deserved to stay in his post with the benefit of that transfer window.

If Mr Cotterill performed as badly as Lee Johnsonn has with similar record backing, and was rewarded with a contract extension I would be pondering "is he Mate of the Lansdowns or something!!"

No tint in the glasses here.

16. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Well there is a tint in the glasses, because your post (well mainly the second sentence) is based entirely on the premise that I believe the treatment LJ has had is fair game. They clearly haven't had the same treatment, in terms of job time or resources.

My point is that if you think LJ should have been sacked but SC not based on the form they were on, then you're a hypocrite.

17. oneforthebristolcity

Could have, should have, may have, would have, more resources would have done well......Of course all hypothetical nonsense.......he bloody didn't!!
    If Cotts was to be so good in the championship, why isn't he manager? I don't see teams lining up for him!!

18. Angelicnumber16

Perhaps he's taking some time off and enjoying life (aside from a few weeks at Birmingham).

Maybe he's being selective in jobs he's applied for, but it's equally possible he hasn't applied for any.

I'm sure his CV looks impressive and attractive to future prospective employers.

19. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Has his eye on Portsmouth!

20. Red Robin

i see Pardew is favourite for sheff weds if they go up:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl