1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City Appoint Warnock

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

According to Sky, should be interesting if nothing else! :emoticon-0103-cool:

Neil Warnock has been appointed manager of Cardiff City following Paul Trollope's sacking.

Trollope was dismissed on Tuesday after less than five months in charge, with Cardiff second bottom of the table after two wins from 11 games.

Former Sheffield United boss Warnock, 67, helped Rotherham avoid relegation from the division last season, but turned down the chanceto stay.

Kevin Blackwell will be assistant and Ronnie Jepson first-team coach.

Cardiff is Warnock's 14th managerial appointment.

The Englishman spent eight seasons in charge of Sheffield United, has twice managed Crystal Palace and QPR, and was also boss of Leeds United.

Former Cardiff defender Danny Gabbidon, who played under Warnock at QPR, said before Warnock's appointment that he "could be a nice fit" to "get the team up and running quickly".

He added: "He's a very good man-manager. He's good at working on a tight budget and getting the right players in. He's also proven in that division."

Trollope's assistant, Lennie Lawrence, and conditioning coach Ryland Morgan have also left the Welsh club

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Amazing news. This should have been done in the first place!! Now we can bloody fight!

3. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Better but a very short term appointment. Doubt he'll be here at the start of next season but at least he will keep us in the Championship <ok>

4. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Interesting that he didn't take the option at Rotherham.

I'm not sure that he'll only be here till the end of the season. I expect the contract has the right for either party to choose to part ways at the end of the season, but he obviously has an appetite for the game still. If he thinks he's got the players and maybe just enough backing from Tan he might have a go at a playoff push next year.

For now I'll be happy if he just gives us a team with a bit of spirit and a Championship club to support next year though.

5. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed Warnock's interviews on the box but isn't the reason he's taking short term contracts because of his wife's health. I am sure I read somewhere that she's got cancer.

6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At last the right man to sort out the "cosy culture" at the club.

He'll make waves no doubt, but I hope he gets the support of Tan in particular and his henchmen Dalman and Choo to do whatever is needed at the footballing level.

This club has become a sad reflection of the exciting times a few years back under Jones and Mackay in terms of on-pitch entertainment.

I now can't wait for the Wurzel game whereas before yesterday I was dreading it.

DaiJones likes this.
  7. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Dreading playing Bristol City Sparkey eh pal? I remember Chopra taking his hot boot off that time....oh, and yes that 0-6 win at theirs...hmmm! :emoticon-0103-cool:

<party><party><party>

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Aye, but we din't have either Slade or Trollope at the helm for those games.

Those were great times and Gary Johnson even resorted to tripping Chops up on the touchline.....<laugh>

9. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

The sight of Wurzel fans throwing away their season tickets was epic too.

However they will really be up for the forthcoming game and we can't rely on the "dead cat bounce" as someone succinctly put it this week.

Going to be very tough game but hope we get a good home turnout on the back of Warnock's appointment.

10. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Contrary to most people, I like Warnock. Old school, no nonsense, no bullshit. I think you will soon start to rise up the table under his tutelage.

Stumpy likes this.

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

So, back to 442 then?

12. Jay-Rede

I hope you're right Vetch <ok>. Maybe we can take him on one of our trips to Blackwood? <laugh>

13. Jay-Rede

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Excellent reporting on the event from the Daily Express. <ok>

Can you spot anything wrong with the following extract?

"At their lowest ebb for 16 years, the Welsh club has turned to one of the game’s great motivators and a Championship veteran in Warnock.

The 67-year-old Yorkshireman will be unveiled on Thursday as the Cardiff manager – with the task of slamming on the breaks to their depressing downward spiral after, ironically, achieving their greatest dream in reaching the Premier League.

Warnock is the eighth manager appointed by owner Vincent Tan in less than three years since Malky Mackay was sacked during their top-flight campaign, in December 2013."

15. Jay-Rede

He was already unveiled as manager? Other than that I cant see anything wrong mate lol.

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well Jay, if he is the eighth manager appointed by Tan since Malky, just name the other seven........<laugh>

17. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Tan has been hiring and firing like the bloke at Leeds <whistle> Pretty sure we've been lower in the past 16 years as well. Didn't we start the millennium in the bottom tier?

18. Jay-Rede

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Russell Slade, Paul Trollope, Paul Trollope, Paul Trollope, Paul Trollope, Paul Trollope & Neil Warnock. What don't you understand Spark? <laugh>

19. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Scott Young and Danny Gabbidon. That makes 6.

20. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

She did which is why he left the Rotherham job because he was so far away from her and he was travelling there from his home in Devon. She's apparently a lot better now though.

BluefromBridgend likes this.