1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Checkatrade Trophy - next season

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

EFL Clubs from League One and Two have today met to formally discuss the future direction of the Checkatrade Trophy for the next two seasons.

The EFL Board, which has the responsibility for setting the rules of the competition, had previously indicated that clubs would be given the opportunity to decide on the format and associated rules for the 2017/18 season.

The purpose of today’s meeting was to assist the EFL in shaping a formal proposal for Clubs to have a final vote on in May.

EFL Chief Executive Shaun Harvey said: “After asking clubs in advance for some initial thoughts on the competition, today was the next stage of the process and I’m delighted we were able to have such a full and frank exchange of views that will now assist the Executive in refining a final proposal that our clubs will now vote on.

And following on from today's meeting, all Clubs will now be asked to vote in May out of the following:

1- A revised format including 16 invited teams (same as this season with a few changes)

2- A return to the previous 48-team competition, exclusive to League One and Two

3- Remove the competition from the fixture calendar

For me, it has to be 2 or 3. Im swaying towards 3 myself. How about you guys?

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  2. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

2 for me. If you get to the later stages it gets interesting, particularly if there's a trip to Wembley. I know we lost to Donny, but it was a good day out and the experience probably helped us win the playoff final.

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I agree with Gastro it wasn't broke so why try to fix it. 2 for me if they go back to this years format it will get the same amount of support from me as it had this season a quiet night in in front of the computer playing FB

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm with CJS its 3 for me as well get rid of it its a waste of time and generates no money unless you get to the final:emoticon-0148-yes: but keep it on FM though :D

If I had my way I would get rid of the League Cup as well I never got why Prem teams are allowed to play in it their not part of the Football League :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Chelsea was another good day out. If you're lucky enough to get a cup run it's great. If you don't get a cup run, then it hardly matters because you can " concentrate on the league." But the best teams usually do well in the cup and the league.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  6. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Option 2 for me.

If City get relegated I will boycott this if there are U21 teams in it

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  7. EGLL Gas

EGLL Gas Well-Known Member

8. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Option 2 for me. This season's competition has been a disaster which has alienated fans, but scrapping it altogether is a step too far.