1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton Athletic vs. Bolton Wanderers - Game 05 - 2016/2017

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Holden Chinaski, Aug 26, 2016.

?

What do you think the outcome of the game will be?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2016.
  1. Charlton Athletic Win

16.7%
  2. Draw

58.3%
  3. Bolton Wanderers Win

25.0%
  1. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 09.27.01.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 09.24.48.png
    Date:
    Saturday, 27th August 2016
    Kick Off: 3:00pm
    Venue: The Valley​

After our victory at the Bescot Stadium, it had been the first time that Charlton have registered back to back wins since November, and now with Ajose on the scoresheet, could this be the time when we start to move up the league, cementing ourselves at the top of the table? We welcome Bolton Wanderers to The Valley, who currently are the only team in the EFL to possess 100% win-rate in the league. This game would certainly be Russell Slades first real test against a promotion challenging and strong team in this league and should we prevail could define our season come May. A victory too against an unbeaten Wanderers would work wonders for the confidence of the players and the faith that the fans have in Slade that what he has achieved is not a fluke, against seemingly unimpressive teams, which we can admit there are a few of in this league. With Bolton Wanderers impressing this league during the early stages of the 2016/2017 campaign, the pressure is on us in this game to prove we too can impress!

The Opposition
    We welcome back former Addicks manager, Phil Parkinson, who has started off his Bolton Wanderers career well, like us, a team that is expected to bounce back into the Championship at first time trying. This game too should be their first real test, having played Sheffield United, AFC Wimbledon, Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood all winning by one goal. On paper, Wanderers seem to have the stronger team possessing experienced players like Gary Madine, Jay Spearing, Liam Trotter, former Palace player Dean Moxey and two former Addicks in Dorian Dervite and he used to be ****e, but now is alright, Lawrie Wilson.

Current Form
    **will be included after six home/away matches

Head-to-Head Record
    Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 09.21.48.png
    Last season is a season that both Bolton and Charlton would want to forget, more so us, as the previous game at The Valley we surrendered a 2 - 0 lead to draw and subsequently giving Bolton a record of the oldest goalscorer in the Championship, Emile Heskey who found the net. One of my most exciting matches of recent times against Wanderers at The Valley was back in 2013, where we dug deep and came back from two goals down to win 3 - 2 with Jackson, Dervite and Kermorgant all finding the net. Over the last three seasons we have seen five draws against Wanderers out of six matches. Could this be a sign of things to come?

Club Updates

Team Lineup
    Like with the previous match I cannot see Russell making many changes with the team lineup, with the exception of Bauer making way back into the team. I do believe though that a player like Lookman would be key in seeing us get three points, but do not expect him to start:
    team.jpeg

Odds
    odds.jpeg
    The bookies seem to be giving us the home advantage, despite our shortcomings with poor squad depth and lack of players that we can bring on, something Bolton does not suffer with.

Game 05 Fixtures
    Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 11.07.25.png

Outcome
    Whilst we are enjoying a bit of an unbeaten run ourselves, Bolton are a different kettle of fish in comparison to the other teams we have encountered. Knowing the type of manager Phil Parkinson is, I'd expect him to see through a 1 - 0 lead, but know that he always seems to let them leads slide. I'm going for a 1 - 1 draw with us coming from behind to grab the point. #COYA #COYR

#ROLANDOUT #MIEREOUT

2. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Bit of a test of our credentials tomorrow ....a loss and back to square one

3. Holden Chinaski

I said the same thing to Miketysonjr a couple of days in a row @Miketyson2007. Proper test of our ability. Sad that it's one of th games I'm gonna miss.

4. Elfsborg från Borås

Elfsborg från Borås Well-Known Member

I'll carry on the protest at Hollands and Blair v Beckenham.

5. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I am going for a bit of value today ..

2-2 draw is 14's at Coral and Willy's

HT/FT I am going for Bolton/Draw which is also 14's at Coral and Willies

Anytime goalscorer I fancy the BFG (Big Friendly German) to score on his home return from injury which is 9's at Willy's

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

The first half decent test of the season, as the first 4 teams we have faced have been average, poor or worse.

Those who are going, remember to sing our new anthem throughout the game.

Just sell the club
    Our famous football club
    You're just not wanted over here
    We want Roland out
    We hate Katrien Meire
    You're not wanted over here

Singing that song at Walsall was the highlight of my Charlton week, along with 'Tye Jiminez' of course.

DonCorleone, Ken Shabby and DickPlumb like this.
  7. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Probably not a good sign, but after two wins on the trot, I am actually looking forward to this one. As has been said, a tough test, though I imagine Bolton may be saying the same. We have had two good wins, though both games could have gone the other way, but hopefully we will be putting out a team rather than XI Wasters that was our game plan last season.
    COYA

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I'm going for a draw, possibly 0-0.

Bolton are the early pace setters and remarkably still have a few players from the prem years (I think), mixed with some very talented youngsters. Think RS will take note of that and set up to play in a cagey manner.

9. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Lookman to be unleashed from min 1 ...if only

10. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Same team. No Bauer. No Lookman. No suprise.

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Depth already being called in to question - an injury to JJ forced Bayer on, konsa to RB and Dolly to RM with Holmes to LM.

Really dislike substitutions that bring wholesale changed unless needed

12. ForestHillBilly

Hello Dolly! :emoticon-0105-wink:Could have simply brought on Lookman. Maybe Slade feels he has to play Bauer.

13. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Half time

Bolton a team of well drilled but limited artisans, clearly under orders from PP to foul any Charlton player that goes past them. Result is constant stoppages for the refs whistle. Holmes getting the treatment and ineffective so far as a result

Jackson hobbled off and straight down the tunnel - he was due an injury but thank God we have such a big squad.

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Two managers that will be happy with a draw.

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

1-1 FT - big story being Lookman coming off the bench to rescue the point.

Should have replaced JJ in the first half, but Slade didn't want to take a risk today it seems. Dull.

16. ForestHillBilly

I'm keen to hear from those who were there, especially how much they enjoyed watching Lookman score what sounded like a terrific goal before he's sold on to a club with ambition.

17. deleted.....

I gather Palarse may be after Lookman as a replacement for Zaha when he goes to Spurs

18. Holden Chinaski

1-1 called it. And won it!

19. ForestHillBilly

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Ken Shabby likes this.
  20. deleted.....

Just what I have heard..... may be complete rubbish .... it was from a Palarse ST holder..