1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlie Austin to Burnley

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by NewarkTiger, Jan 28, 2011.

1. NewarkTiger

NewarkTiger Member

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11728_6706379,00.html

Says for an initial £1.2 million with extra add ons. Makes you wonder a) what we offered and b) why we were unable to match the Burnley offer?

2. robingram02

robingram02 Well-Known Member

Well it depends what the add ons are, theres always a doubt he won't adjust to a higher level, but tbh out of him and Mclean, Austin who has youth on his side may have been the better option with his height and prolific goalscoring record.

3. Harap

Harap Member

I was excited when we were first linked but always thought a premier league side would come in instead so wasn't too disappointed when we went and got fryatt and mclean. Can't help but feel we may have missed out a little bit on this one.

You wonder if we may have paid a bit of a price for trying to get our business done early. When we bid, I'd imagine Swindon thought it would start a bidding war (wasn't their owner the one who publicised it himself?), but it hasn't really materialised as we then went looking elsewhere. As a result, I'd imagine they'll be a tad disappointed with the fee they're getting.

Great business for Burnley though - looks like they are shipping out iwelumo to preston, too so they will be delighted.

4. mark2112

mark2112 Member

Is Phil Brown getting desparate...end of the window and panic buying mmmmm when ever did that occure i wonder.

Chairman at PNE is quoted to saying 'we will sign a big name what will blow your socks off'....<laugh>

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it's a shame we didn't get him, he looks like he's going to be a class act and it's a great signing for Burnley, but we've done some excellent business during this window and you can't win them all.

6. blackandamber

blackandamber Member

im still a bit gutted over this, mclean looks ok but id have rather have had austin to be honest. especially at this price.

7. Hessle Tiger

Hessle Tiger Member

Mclean doesnt exactly have a poor goalscoring record does he? Plus, after seeing Mclean out jump the 6'4" Jason Shackell against Barnsley I dont think we can really hold his height against him!

8. TopTigersFan

TopTigersFan Member

As people may have read previously, I'm gutted about this. I live in Wiltshire and know that Austin will be a great player, even if that's just at Championship level, at least he could help us get up. Plus he's only 21 and with someone like NP managing him, he could turn him into a PL player. Oh well, a few months back (before the Allams' takeover) if someone had told me that we'd signed Fryatt and McLean, I'd have been ecstatic, so I'll just be content with what we've got.

9. robingram02

Nah I accept Mclean scored alot of goals for posh and I think he'll be a good aquisition for us after he bags his first, I just meant his Austins form for this season, hes on fire with 12 although admittedly Mclean has got 10 already this season. So yeah i suppose they're actually quite similar. And i know he has a leap on him, you cant continously launch long balls up to him and fryatt if nothing else is working in the game as it doesnt stick as well as if you had an austin targetman type player like Zamora, Crouch etc. I just think Austin would have given us a Plan B.

10. Hessle Tiger

Hessle Tiger Member

I think it all boils down to how well you get off the floor and your desire to win the ball. I mean Crouch for instance is 6ft7 yet he can barely jump off the floor and you're comparing him to Bobby Zamora. Zamora is 6ft, only an inch taller than Matty Fryatt. Then there's Folan. Folan is 6ft2 but has anyone ever seen him win a header? His anticipation of the flight of the ball is shocking,either that or he's frightened to head the ball.

Do you see what I'm trying to say? Being tall doesn't automatically make you a good target man!

11. robingram02

Yeah fair enough, it's just that Austin is a good target man ;)

12. NewarkTiger

NewarkTiger Member

McLean hasn't done anything to impress me since he joined the club - the jury is well and truly out!

13. prideofyorkshire

My thoughts too. Bit dissapointed, but very pleased with the signings we have made so far which outweighs the impact Austin could have had on his own.
    If i was Burnley i'd wanna keep hold of Iwelumo though! Isn't he third or fourth top scorer in the league?

14. City1904

City1904 Well-Known Member

Well firstly there is no doubt the add ons will take it towards the 2M figure at least and if they go up i bet it will be closer to the 2.5M ball park. However i trust Nigel and his team, Mclean will come good he played well against Barnsley, he gets up and he is strong, thats what we missed when Simpson was not playing well someone strong to hold people off and i think Mclean will do that.

15. blackandamber

blackandamber Member

definitely, crouch is a problem, from his height alone nothing else, people have to clamber, mclean is still very short but he isnt bad in the air.

16. Hessle Tiger

Hessle Tiger Member

In League 1 though ;). Either way, I'm not disappointed we missed out on Austin. I'm happy with our options now!

17. Hull City AFC (HCHKR)

Hull City AFC (HCHKR) Well-Known Member

Yes i have seen Folan head the ball against Sheff Utd at home this season cross came into the box Folan rises highest WINS THE HEADER but heads it out of the box to Sheff Utd :/

18. Hessle Tiger

Hessle Tiger Member

Haha, I rest my case!