1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Celta Vigo v Manchester United | Europa League | Semi-Final | First Leg

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 3, 2017.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

My understanding is if we finish outside top 4 and win the EL, then all 5 teams qualify for CL. If we finish in the top 4 and win the EL then all 4 qualify for CL. Basically nobody loses out?

Christiansmith likes this.
  2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Don't think so, could be wrong but for 5 EPL teams to qualify you need to finish 5th and win EL. Finish 4th and win EL, 5th place goes in to the EL. Arsenal in the EL, that will be a laugh!!

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm absolutely sure Arsenal will be playing EL next season. No way they're making top 4 now. Spurs was the nail in the coffin that consigned them to Thursday nights.

4. The Ides of March

Celta probably earn less than Bournemouth and have a squad that cost less than Bournemouth's. Rdiculous!!!

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I personally have a soft spot for Athletic Bilbao. Used to follow them a lot up until about 4/5 years ago. Great club <ok>

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The RS would have to do a Devon Loch to miss 4th now.

JM will be trying for his 2nd final this season. And the top priority in the summer is to get a goal poacher. 25 + match unbeaten run but still 5th. Tells the whole story,

7. Christiansmith

United had to beat them but they don't choose who they play. Celta may be a small team but they had beaten Real Madrid and Barcelona this season. So no gloating or celebrating but good job.

The Ides of March likes this.
  8. The Ides of March

Is this because of their "Cantero" policy? They only have players born in the Basque region playing for them. This means they are not paying vast amount of money in the transfer market but limits them to any players that are available. When they receive a big transfer this must go towards paying for their new stadium, as they won't be spending much in transfer fees.

PS: I like Sevilla!! Loved the EL final last season when they really took you know who apart in the second half. Utterly brilliant and achieved without star players.

Treble likes this.
  9. The Ides of March

Fair response!! I know you guys don't really gloat except when ..........!! And underneath all the antipathy towards Liverpool, there is a grudging respect between genuine United and Liverpool fans??

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yep that's a big part of it. One of the last few clubs to do that. Up until the whole Llorente debacle, they also tended to hold on to players because of a certain degree of loyalty on both sides. But I also like their approach to football. Play your natural game and don't compromise - I fcking love that, especially when their natural game is how football should be played.

Not so keen on Sevilla tbh (although I've always rated them) but I also used to like Villareal. Spanish football up until about 4/5 years ago was fcking excellent tbf.

11. The Ides of March

You had one until he got injured. What about Rashford? Supported by Lingard and the Armenian guy, there seems to be a lot of flexibility there. So who do you really see arriving. Muller? Not 20 goals, but would enable others to contribute to scoring goals. And haven't you all but signed the Atletico striker? Arsenal fans must be tearing their hair out seeing how quickly United get business done.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, they have beat Madrid and Barca this season, amazing isn't it <ok>

13. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I liked the way they gave Giggsy a standing ovation in Bilbao too, when he came off in his last European appearance, a very classy gesture from their fans.

I didn't think much of this lot tonight, booing our players names being called. How childish <laugh>

Then the players pushing Rashford about when he's walking off injured.

Their best player come from Liverpool, so not suprising they have no maners :biggrin:

14. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

If they've qualified for Europe in La Liga, and they've made it through to the semis then they are a top side, simple as that really. Football matches aren't decided by who has the biggest wage bill. So let's not try to pretend we are up against some minnows.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Important goal that, should see you into the final.

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh bcos it'll probably be 1-1 at home knowing us!

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

You never know but I don't see them doing much at OT.

You just concentrate on a 0-0 with the Gooners now OK.

The Ides of March likes this.
  18. The Ides of March

Nobody said Celta are a minnow.... could have been hinting that the PL is too bloated compared with other leagues. Everton, a team on the edge of being at the top end of the PL and midtable, probably earn far more than Sevilla who are good European team, which is not something you can really say about Everton at this stage.

19. Christiansmith

There is something about the way English PL clubs approach European competitions which make them less competitive. Causes?

The pl schedule does not do them any favours.

The domestic league is so competitive and physical that the teams are knacked by the time they play.

The styles and systems played by the pl teams. We use to say that in the 90s and 00s when we lost regularly. The kick and rush and long ball game.

But at the end of the day the key IMO is how seriously managers take the competitions. The Spanish, French Dutch Italian and other teams do. But English ones? Not sure, the Europa especially. Most managers would prioritise the PL. we can't blame them as the PL provides more money than the el could ever do. A single ranking place could now be worth £2m+.

The CL place for the winners have changed the importance of the Europa but only to those who need the CL in first place.

20. The Ides of March

In the case of your team, Liverpool and Chelsea, very seriously. That is why all three clubs have often performed well in all European competitions. For Manchester City it is a learning curve. Arsenal? They are just scared out of their minds every time they see Bayern or Barca, something they won't have to worry about next season!! Tottenham are the club that have prioritised the PL. As for the rest, well European football is something of a luxury.

You did mention teams being knackered. Is the League Cup really that important in the greater scheme of things? IMO it needs reforming. And I do not think that the bulk of PL teams have played any more games than their counterparts in other leagues.