1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Carlisle Utd v Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Feb 25, 2017.

1. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

A really big result - but we have to now make this the standard - as long as we are on the shoulders of third at this stage that is great - a good time to be in that position in the race. We haven't really hit consistent form once this season but the last 4 games show something is clicking possibly. The top 3 have yet really to have a blip so maybe one of them will in the next 4-6 games...although we just have to focus on the next game and what happens elsewhere happens.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't agree with you Eastney. I think recent form is a bit of a blip for all.

3. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

They always say the table doesn't lie, looking at our GD I'm skeptical to say the least.

4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

You should be feeling confident. If results match performances you will go up easily.

5. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Greeny if draws rather than wins is a blip - it isn't that bad a one. Donny and yourselves look to be battling out 1 and 2 - I'd happily take 3rd.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Admittedly it hasn't been losses exactly but a draw from early form sort of seems like a dip. I'd happily settle for 3rd as well to be honest. From your point of view I think Carlisle have dipped more than us and Doncaster which is what you need to happen. Trouble is all the top(ish) sides seem to have had a run of unbeaten games and then gone off the boil a bit. You are on a bit of a run right now and have found the consistency you couldn't find earlier. Your hope has to be that you don't dip late on in the season when it isn't possible to re-coup the form. I still think there is a shock side to come yet when the pack sort themselves out. I hope I'm wrong mind you.

7. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the match report Woopert & Third Eye. Always appreciated.
    Cream on the win is that it all seemed to happen when Chaplin & Whatmough came on. Two players that I see as our future but have found it difficult to break into the side.

I think Cook may be reluctant to rely regularly on a three at the back system because of lack of injury cover for Burgess/Clarke/ Whatmough.

Is Tom Davies still at the club or is he loaned or transferred? If not is he good enough for a three at the back system?

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  8. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

You're always welcome pdu.

Tom Davies is still at the club, it seems just that he has not managed to bag a regular first team place with Enda Stevens, Matt Clarke, Gareth Evans and Christian Burgess keeping their places. PC may be very reluctant to change things as we have the best defensive record in the league. Another stat is that we've scored 17 goals in the last 10 minutes this season.

It's good to see Jack Whatmough being brought back into the first team at long last. I'm not sure all the fans appreciate how much PC carefully manages the youngsters in his teams - I think he's a better man-manager than he's given credit for.

According to people who made the journey to Carlisle the first half was a lot better than it sounded on the radio. Paul Cook was cracking up about Jack during an interview , he said all he could think was "you're supposed to be at the back keeping a clean sheet, what are you doing up here scoring goals?" I think that's the happiest I've ever heard him.

9. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Tom Davies is an o.k. centre half, and good as a back-up to Burgess and Clarke, but I think Jack Whatmough is the better prospect if we can keep him fit. Like Adam Webster before him, he reads the game well, and can play the ball out of defence sensibly. His finish yesterday for the third goal was excellent.

As 3rd eye said, we have the best defence in the Second division, and with Gareth Evans and Enda Stevens as attacking wing backs, playing three at the back could be an ideal formation until the end of the season.