1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Mar 7, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

1. Robins Win

25.0%
  2. Canaries Win

25.0%
  3. Stalemate

50.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Very succinctly put Suffolk and YES our senior players have indeed performed well below their own standards I feel. We'll most certainly have to take a loss on the likes of Naismith (I'm still struggling to understand why we bought him in the first instance), but the likes of Martin, and sicknote Jarvis should be sold for whatever we can get for them.
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, no one year extensions of contract, as we have enough promising young players coming through the development squad.
    Hoolahan I might be inclined to keep, but only use him as a sub, as I feel most managers/defences have worked out how to nullify him!!!

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  2. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

He's Scottish

3. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

From that list I'd keep Ruddy (but on a reduced wage), McGoven & Jerome. This rest would be no great loss.

Pretty much agree with this OCF other than Hoolahan who needs to go as all retaining him would do is hinder the development of Pritchard & Maddison. I think we have some great youth prospects, but I worry we won't develop them quick enough to retaining them as we seem to value experience over talent.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

In hindsight, I agree re Hoolahan, as we have Huckerby in our coaching set up and Middleton is full of praise for how he's helped his game develop.
    I may be wrong, but if we can hold onto Middleton, I can see him being our next 'DH6!!'

canary-dave likes this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good, sensible comments Suffolk <ok>
    But the point is there have been chances galore to gradually introduce younger players, even off the bench, just to ease them up to the speed and awareness that will be required of them next season (and beyond?)
    But it hasn't happened! <grr>
    While Martin, Tettey and Naismith are first on the list every week, those on who we may depend next season and beyond barely get a sniff? What is his frickin' problem - we have zero / zilch / nada left to play for until May so what's to lose? <doh>

6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Good discussion this, and I agree with the direction indicated in general, though with some exceptions. I'd like to see Wes kept on as a player coach to help develop our younger players. We'll need a mix of older and younger players as we move forward and the transfer of skills that involves. With Bennett's performance last night AN would presumably start him against Blackburn. For me, Martin is now a useful back-up at CB, RB and even LB if necessary, meaning that Whittaker could move on and Martin could help to bring on Ramsey and Godfrey in a player-coach role. It is a transition, now, and it needs to be handled correctly.

7. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Rudd/Mathews/New signing if we can sell McGovern, Jones and Ruddy
    Pinto, Godfrey, Klose, Toffolo
    Jacob, Howson, Pritchard, Josh
    Maddison
    Nelson/Jerome

SuffolkCanary and JM Fan like this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Don't quite agree Rick, as from what I've seen, both Ramsay and Godfrey are ready for the first team without any coaching from Martin.
    I do agree that their development needs to be handled correctly and my worry is that AN is NOT te person to do it, as he has proved over the last 21 months or so that he is so intransigent that I don't think they'll get a fair chance in the first team and he would far rather select players who should be 'put out to grass' than give youngsters a chance!!

9. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Also do
    Thompson in for Pritchard when we need a bit more defensive cover. A much more exciting prospect

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'd be very worried to put that team out, It is very light weight. I still can't begin to understand the Pritchard signing because for me it's an either or with Maddison. Hoolihan would represent a decent backup option.
    I'm not convinced about any of the keepers, not one of the 5 would I want to start the season with.
    I've said it before, but unless Toffolo is pulling up trees and really improved during his latest loan, I think he is too much of a defensive liability to trust as our 1st choice LB. Add to that Josh and I think it would be a crazy way to set up. For me the Murphy's are an either or untill they beef up a bit. So I would go with

New keeper, McGovern, Matthews

Pinto, Martin/Whittaker
    Godfrey/New and solid, Martin
    Klose/New and solid, New young and hungry
    New (because whilst I'd love to see Dijk stay, it ain't gonna happen!), Toffolo/new

Jacob, Josh, Jarvis (if he's ever fit! We'll never get rid of him with his sicknote record)
    Thompson, Godfrey, Tettey (1 more year on contract? Strictly 3rd choice as I don't really want to see him slowing us down any longer)
    Howson (Capt) McGrandles
    Wildshut, Josh, Naismith (Lets face it no ones going to pay him more than us, how many more years has he left on his contract!)

Maddison, Pritchard (Though I'd sell him to help fund a keeper and CB), Hoolihan

Nelson/ New striker (Assuming we had a new manager who might countanence playing more than one up top!), Jerome, Morris

Bah!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

I was trying to fit Thompson in, but that 11 would be my ideal atm. Attacking and mix of youth and experience. I think we will lose either howson, Pritchard or both. So Thompson could come in then. If he's not all injured up again!

12. Forgot_My_Lines

My 11 is based on our current squad mate. Not including new signings. (Apart from GK, but I really can't pick any GK from the squad so that was a must)

For starters we won't be signing a CB or a Striker.

Still with new defenders removed, I'd say lightweight refers to your line up too in midfield.

13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sorry General, but I'm HOPING we don't sell JM, as I'd love to see him being given his chance in Yellow and Green playing for the first team!! <ok>
    On the keeper front, I'm sure we could buy Lewis back from Aberdeen and he wouldn't cost a fortune!!

14. Forgot_My_Lines

I can't think of a keeper I'd want us to go for!! Who we could realistically get.

I like Archer at Millwall. Garratt at Crewe, but he's more one for the future, would be better as an understudy for now. I've always been a fan of Smithies, now at QPR. Bettinelli at Fulham is a great prospect, again maybe not a first team starter for next season. Hard position to fill, that.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. K E M P

K E M P Well-Known Member

If we sell JM I'm not going to go and watch anymore.

16. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

So am I, it was Pritchard I suggested we could maybe should sell and give Maddison not only a chance but consider building the team around him.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Apologies General - I read your post quickly and so misread it!!! <doh>
    I have to say Pritchard is one of the few players who might actually be worth more than a pint and a packet of crisps!!!! <laugh>

18. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

More harsh words from Michael Bailey, of which I found these lines
    extremely relevant (though there are some who will poo-poo it!):

http://www.pinkun.com/opinion/micha...4925171?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Cromer - It's blindingly obvious that he decided NOT to 'carry the can' with all his seemingly rehearsed soundbites etc!!!
    Perhaps MB/PD should ask him why he chose to bring Bassong on late in the game on Tuesday instead of giving one or more of the younger subs on the bench a chance to make an impact with about 30 minutes to go. <doh>

: canarycall