1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bristol City @Ashton Gate 12/1/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Jan 10, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Back to the realities of life of actually staying in this division which is the main aim of the season, by my reckoning 50 points is the target and we need 19 to get to that total. As we are on a run of three successive away defeats this is a tough week with a visit to Ipswich after Tuesday nights game at Ashton Gate.
    Surprised at how City have struggled in the league this season although they do tend to let in a few goals which probably is the problem. Thought they were probably one of the better sides we have played this season and should have won at Deepdale but missed a catalogue of chances.
    They are in the process of buying Zach Clough from financially stricken Bolton, will be a good addition to the side. They were disappointed to draw at WBA yesterday only being denied with a goal deep into injury time which didn't please Cotterill.
    No doubt Wilbraham will score against us again, tough game and by the sound of it will be probably be played in tradition winter weather i.e freezing cold instead of lashing rain.
    Hopefully the Pearson deal will be complete before Tuesday. Johnstone will be back between the sticks and hopefully we will eventually start taking our chances. Would be a lovely touch of irony if Robinson got the winner in the last minute now that would give Steve something to whinge about.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

A time for JG to start scoring. He does have the skill and does position well but he needs someone competent to work with him and Doyle is not that person. Is my memory failing me, but wasn't Doyle really a winger rather than a front man? I will not go to Ipswich: local transport is one bus forward two buses back! Mid you, on Saturday, I called into the Downham Market station's bar/pub which has won award and tasted the best cider ever. I am critical of cider. No beer? I suppose cider will have to do' attitude. But his cider, stored in rum barrels was supperb. I thought the craft beer they served was too cold though.

3. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

The misery of Saturday's cup defeat was washed away with a pretty decent performance and win at Ashton Gate, although there were some close calls in the end North End hung on to win 2-1 in front of 14586 0f which a hardy 346 made the journey from the North.
    The end of the game saw City manager get abuse from the away fans as per normal but also from the home fans, there was a clip on Twitter showing him having an exchange with a home supporter near the tunnel at the end of the game.
    The first half will not linger long in the memory, apart from a couple of Gallagher shots, a cross come shot by Ayling and a woeful effort from Bryan little happen, the lively Kodija looked a danger for City as he made some probing runs down the flank but in the main neither defences were rarely troubled. The away support made plenty of noisy whilst the home support were silent.
    The game needed something to spark it into life and on 53 minutes thaty spark arrived, within the space of five minutes both sides had scored and both should have scored again. North End opened the scoring when Doyle played a neat back heel to Gallagher the cross was inch perfect for Garner but Baker beat him to the ball and headed past his own keeper. (0-1) North End gave away a cheap free kick from the restart, the ball was fired into the box and never really cleared, the ball was cleared but come back into the box with two City players in space, Wilbraham fired home his usual goal from about 10 yards. City almost immediately took the lead but Johnstone made a good save to deny Wilbraham, North End broke away and Johnson was through one on one with the keeper, O'Donnell dived, the ball was chipped over the keeper but hit the post and rebounded to safety.
    City forced North End back and there were some hairy moments for the visitors especially when Reed's goalbound effort was superbly saved by Johnson. Ten minutes from the end North End got the winner, a Gallagher corner was hit past the back post where ex City player Cunningham dived bravely to head in off the far post. He celebrated as you should do when you score even against your old club.
    Back to the wall as City flung everything against a slightly wobbly away defence, in injury time Johnstone denied City twice, there were a couple of goalmouth scrambles and Kodija hit the outside of the post. North End survived and took three more points towards the magical 50 points.
    For North End Pearson made a very pleasing debut rarely wasting a ball and looked a very good addition, today he will be joined by his United team mate Liam Cunningham who is also signing a permanent deal. The club is going in the right direction.

Bristol City 1 Preston North End 2 Att 14586

Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill:

"It was a difficult night for us. The players gave all they could give, but a lot of energy and emotion had been expended at West Brom on Saturday.

"We didn't have the normal snap about our game in the first half and Preston enjoyed it because we played to their strengths.

"My lads have left everything on the pitch. They are giving all they have, but we need to add bodies to our squad and that has been the case since May.

"These are tough times and we have to get through them. We deserved to win, but how many times have I said that this season?"

Preston boss Simon Grayson:

"We select a team to make life difficult for the opposition, but we also know we have good players capable of winning games.

"The first half was good from our point of view because our keeper hasn't had a save to make. We didn't pass the ball as well as we can, but we were professional and very solid.

"After we scored we were a bit sloppy for their equaliser, but after that the lads showed great character and we hit the post before grabbing the winner.

"Greg has been taking stick in training for not even looking like scoring. But it was a training ground routine tonight and a sweet moment for him, which he fully deserved."

4. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

As usual SGa good report, Maclad. SG has shown a progressive attitude off the pitch by sign young players: Johnson, Johnstone, Browne, the two United former academy lads, and the 3 academy NE lads. Hopefully, his scouting has identified lads to take NE to the next level.