1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bobby Z Hangs up the Boots

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The legend that was Bobby Zamora has officially announced his retirement. Here's a clip one of his best to remind us his contribution at Fulham.

Stil believe Jol's biggest mistake was falling out with Bobby.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Zamora was one of those players that I had always liked long before he ever signed for us, and I think we were probably the last side to see the best of him. That said, I'm not sure I'd go along with the idea that he was Jol's biggest mistake: he was a perfect fit for the way Roy wanted us to play (and we all know how well that worked out). I'd go so far as to say he was probably the best example of a certain type of striker in the country. But that wasn't the type of centre forward to make Jol's team work, and I still think that when Jol's side was on song (up to Hangeland's sending off against Sunderland, after which everything fell apart) they looked even better than Roy's much-loved side. If you ignore the last year or so, Jol did a great job. Sadly, we can't ignore the last year, as it was the beginning of the decline that led us to where we are today.

But farewell, Bobby. Enjoy your retirement and thanks for everything.

3. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Take the point Captain and certainly enjoyed some of the games in his first year when we ended up 9th. Not sure Jol was always able to communicate to the players what he wanted to make his team work though.

Will admit as well that my original comment was sheer prejudice. Jol was one of those managers who loved his favourites and some of his weren't mine.

Captain Morgan likes this.