1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 17, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Well done city on another point gained ..... probably 3 more will cook it

2. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Thats ok! No need for apology. I kept looking for a hidden meaning but remained the same. Started in the TSB on Gloucester Road and moved to Devon with the job 1989.Different days then..

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think he's here to Stay, with a capital S.

4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Disaster with a capital D would be relegation in my book. Though I agree that, regardless of what happens from here, it's been a disappointing season, I think 'fighting for a playoff spot' would have represented a very good season, rather than be the expectation. The problem with saying we ought to have been in that mix is that you need to identify the teams that we should be out-performing. Of the sides in the top half of the table, I'd say that the only teams we have comparable resources/stature with would be Brighton (the shining example to football league sides over the past few years), Huddersfield (one-season wonders?), Preston (comparatively small resources, but decent pedigree) and Brentford (being a London based side probably helps with acquiring players), with all the others being former Premiership teams that are comparative heavy-hitters in this tier.

On the flip side, though we lost Kodjia, Abraham has probably been an upgrade, and with a decent amount of money spent (though again, net spend being in the positive, thanks to Kodjia), we ought to have finished more comfortably mid-table at least. I'd say finishing around 14th/15th would've represented 'par'. With the start we had though, it has been an opportunity missed - at least I find crumbs of comfort in the decent form we've been in in recent times. If LJ does manage to make us genuinely competitive next season, then it would fly in the face of the modern culture of sacking managers being the solution to poor form. I do think the odds are against him though, as I'm unconvinced he has the ability to succeed in the long-term. God knows how we'll cope without Abraham next season.

manxrobin and bcfcredandwhite like this.