1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn Rovers @ Deepdale 10/12/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Dec 8, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

The plastics arrive at Deepdale on a decent run of form, which is really disappointing as in my view their soul ambission this season should be relegation. Can safely say they are a club in crisis, absentee owners, £100 million in debt and a manager who is not universally popular at Ewood Park having been a manager at Burnleh up the road.
    Last time away from home they had a surprise win at Newcastle but drew at home to Huddersfield last week although having seen some highlights looked like Huddersfield really should have won. Away from home they have also won at Derby so they have snaffled three points at a couple of decent grounds.
    They have made a good loan signing in Sam Gallagher from Chelsea who seems to be a decent prospect, he is supported by Danny Graham is no slouch, they have been a bit more miserly at the back in recent games. Their supporters recently organised protests against their owners the Venky's due to lack of any information about the running of the club, no doubt every couple of weeks Coyle is on the plane to India to discus their masterplan of bankrupting the club, sooner the better in my view.
    Support at Ewood has dropped by about 14000 since their relegation as the glory hunters have found new clubs to support or gone back to supporting the clubs they used to support before Jack Walker lost his marbles and started pumping his money into the club buying them their fortunate Premiership championship, hence they are known as the Plastics. Amonst the Plastic support is the leader of the Liberal Undemocratics Tim Farron, who was born and raised in Preston still lives in the city and supports Blackburn, may explain his politics.
    One further gripe about them is that due to my parents incompetence I was born born there.
    After last weeks daftness expect a bit more normality this week could do with a win as our home record is not the best only three home wins this season. Squad wise Gallagher and Welsh still injured possible that May might make the bench and suspension wise the WWF boys Beckford and Doyle will be avaiable after the trip to Bristol next week. A decent crowd is expected as home support will be given priority for our cup game against the Gunners, the away support will be just over 2100 as they cannot sell their tickets, last season they brought over 5000. Be on suicide watch if we lose to this lot and it's also on the telly.

Blackburn last three WWD Next three Brighton H Reading H Barnsley A
    PNE last three DDL Next three Notts Foest A Bristol City H Leeds H

2. themaclad

A thoroughly entertaining local derby ended with North End getting home by the odd goal in five, possibly on another day Rovers may possibly have snaffled a point after being the better side in the second half but life is tough and they got nothing.
    Not overly keen on 5.30 kick offs messes my food routine up but as Sky are paying us a bit of cash will put up with. A damp night at Deepdale as the teams kicked off, North End started the better with Robinson giving the Rovers back line a nightmare especially full back Ben Marshall. Although on top Rovers showed flashes of danger with their pace on the break, there hadn't been any really clear cut chances until North End took the lead on 18 minutes, Robinson's cross deflected to Vermijl who with his back to go slid the ball to Johnson who curled in a stunner from 20 yards, not a bad way to scoe your first goal of the season. Within minutes he had gone from hero to zero as his clums tackle in the area brought down a Rovers player think it was Graham, clear penalty. Graham's spot kick was easily saved by Maxwell who could only parry the ball back to Graham who had his next effort saved, North End couldn't clear the ball and at about the 400th attempt Graham bundled the ball home to level the score.
    Parity only lasted 10 minutes before North End were awarded their first penalty since the Battle of Hastings, until I saw it on the box at half time had no idea as to why it had been given. North End had passed the ball about nicely across for the right and big Makienok was pooised to score until his header seem to hit the bar and was cleared. In the confusion Mr Friend had given a penalty, it bemused the away players and sent Owen Coyle closer to insanity, but Lenihan had handled the ball before Makienok could head it in. Yellow card for Lenihan but should it have been a red? Steele dived way to early Johnson sent the ball the other way 2-1 up. Good value as well however on the stroke of half time Maxwell tipped Graham's header round the post and from the corner Rovers really should have scored but Mulgrew headed wide.
    North End had early pressure but it was the visitors who were better in the second half, looked to have good call for a penalty when Evans went down in the box, they pinned North End back, Wright did a brilliant block on Graham twice, but with 20 minutes to go they were level and it had been coming Graham scored from close range with a bit of a defelection. From that point you could have thought that Rovers would go on and clinch the points but they had a slight bit of misfortune, they lost defender Mulgrew to injury andn had to replace him and within a minute North End were in front, Pringle and Makienok combined to set Cunningham up, he beat a man in the area squared the ball to Robinson and in it went.
    There was only one scare for North End a free kick on the edge of the box went narrowly over the top, North End hung on to take the points.
    Only one concern with Gallagher and Welsh injured plus the fighting duo suspended the squad does look a little thread bare but they dug in and did the job tonight.

Preston North End 3 Blakburn Rovers 2 Att 18000 est.

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Mac, the crowd was only 41K+. Didn't know Fallon was a Prestonian. I beat my breast with shame! Must be from Fulwood or Penwortham not Maudland Bank. A good win and a good game to entertain the crowds. Reeports say that DJ is back to his vivacious self and that Makienok had a good game. CalR has been off and on recently but was more himself yesterday. If Makienok is getting into the groove, what does that mean for Hugill? I would not be surprised to see Beckford, Doyle, McGeady move on in 2017. Anyway, it is good to get a result in a good game. The problem is that the team has to go to Forst and then to Bristol in one week.

4. themaclad

14,000 not 41000 if only it were 41000

5. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

I have dyslexic typing figners!

themaclad likes this.