1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I posed the question because Froome didn't seem to be able to stay with Aru over the last 300-400 yards of the climb to the finish the other day.
    It's rare to see Froome lose time in that manner to a rival; I wondered whether he might have been struggling and the nod was given to Landa to race to pick up time for himself (which he did).
    However, I think Froome answered any doubts emphatically in regaining yellow yesterday.
    There is no doubt he has a far superior team. If he is in decent shape, then it will take something special from Aru or Bardet or Martin to dislodge him.
    Wednesday and Thursday in the Alps should be interesting, especially a summit finish on the Col d'Izoard.

2. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

5th win in the British GP.

Great day of sport today<cheers>

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Bill Hicks...

Female Doctor Who. Great, great. Now there's Doctor Whos of both sexes I don't watch.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

<laugh>

5. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

doctor.jpg

Its not the first time that the Doctor has been played by a woman!

6. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I was driving back from Scotland today and listening to Kenny Everett's World's Worst Wireless Show (IMHO one of the greatest radio programmes ever) which I believe was from 1977. Interestingly it included all the ads of the time and one of them was for British Rail. You know, despised BR of the 1970s with their disastrous service etc.

Anyway, the advert was saying that now they've got more Inter City 125s running, you can get from London to Cardiff in 105 minutes.

So I checked today's timetable and luckily in today's privatised efficient railway you can get from London to Cardiff in ..... 125 minutes.

SpursDisciple and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I've just seen a listing of our Academy's first year scholars for the forthcoming season. I'm sure that they're all fine lads, take good care of their mothers and will have excellent careers. However, their first names........what the hell has happened to first names?

I shall list the worst offenders. Trust me there are others.........

Rayan (thought it was a girl's name?), Brooklyn (natch), Paris, Jubril, Phoenix and Rodel.

A few years back, whilst living in the 'wannabe gangster paradise' of Crystal Palace, I was in the park with my daughters. Playing near them were twin brothers. They started to fight each other. Their charming mother came over to administer some parenting..........

"De Niro! Capone! Faaaaackin' stop it!"

Brian Towers was up for sale that week.

8. humanbeingincroydon

A month or so ago the Metro mentioned that a train from Paddington to Slough takes seven minutes less than it did in Victorian times.

To put that in context, on a Shinkansen or TGV you could probably do the entire journey in seven minutes.

9. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that both of those high speed lines were built for significantly less per km than HS2 will be (even before the cost goes up again). Brilliant isn't it - in our "privatised" railway the new lines are built by the taxpayer for the profit of the franchise holder (because no "private" company would build new lines), and a lot of those franchises are owned by national railway companies of other countries!

10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The neo liberals have developed a marvelous system where politicians make business decisions like should we build a new railway line and business people make political decisions like how much should be spent on the nations health care. Everyone looks after an area of interest that they know **** all about.

Clever eh!

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  11. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

The problem everywhere. Every fekker in the world knows how to build a dam or a waste dump. 99.999% of them know how to do it incorrectly.

My LikedIn page starts 'had enough of Ultracrepidairians'

Ultracrepidarian, somebody who gives opinions on matters beyond his knowledge, comes from a classical allusion. Apelles, the famous Greek painter who was a contemporary of Alexander the Great, would put his pictures where the public could see them and then stand out of sight so he could listen to their comments. A shoemaker once faulted the painter for a sandal with one loop too few, which Apelles corrected. The shoemaker, emboldened by this acceptance of his views, then criticised the subject’s leg. To this Apelles is reported as replying (no doubt with expletives deleted) that the shoemaker should not judge beyond his sandals, in other words that critics should only comment on matters they know something about. In modern English, we might say “the cobbler should stick to his last”, a proverb that comes from the same incident. (A last is a shoemaker’s pattern, ultimately from a Germanic root meaning to follow a track, hence footstep.)

Crepidam derives from Greek krepis, a shoe; it has no link with words like decrepit or crepitation (which are from Latin crepare, to creak, rattle, or make a noise) or crepuscular (from the Latin word for twilight), though crepidarian is a very rare adjective meaning “pertaining to a shoemaker”.

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

More simply :

The world is full of people who have too much to say about things
    they know too little about.

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Let's not condemn too much, otherwise this forum would grind to a halt <whistle>

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

It is worse when you are dealing with the politnik class. :(

Not only are they too often as I stated, but they then compound it with
    political dogma. An unacceptable combo for those whose decision-making
    affects the entire nation.

15. And often have an unhealthy interest in Twitter!!

16. humanbeingincroydon

...and/or Reddit.

17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Yes, stick to what you can do well. Can Sissoko cook?

18. humanbeingincroydon

please log in to view this image

Citizen Kane likes this.
  19. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Excellent, fun and informative post. The US is in a state of perpetual war because nobody believes you ought to know something about military history in order to make a decision to go to war. Being good and steamed strikes almost everyone as good and sufficient reason. It reminds me of a line from To Kill a Mockingbird: "could not be made to believe 'the bastard had it coming to him' was not a sufficient justification for murder." The problem is that deciding to start a war you will lose is not a good decision. We may have been good and mad, but people have been trying and failing to conquer Afghanistan for 2300 years. All you really needed to realize starting a war in Afghanistan was not a good idea was to look at the map of Alexander's campaigns. His army went in straight, bold lines till they hit Afghanistan. Then they suddenly did a whole series of short, squiggly back and forths. Ours have been going on for 15 years now.

: #spursy