1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big Sam - England Manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by BigFox, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That really threw me, I thought you had lost a few marbles <laugh> (was in United/Premiership mode)

So who do you think knows the players better than a man who has been pitting his teams against them for 20 years or more?
    Maybe some top foreign coach who has seen some of them in the odd CL game he has played against them :emoticon-0100-smile

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Yes he is English. But he was exceptional in his incompetence. He had a **** WC and should have been sacked. That does not mean that all English managers should be disregarded <doh>

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm going to leave it there lads, as I can't help feeling I've either entered the Twilight Zone or I'm the subject of some elaborate joke <laugh>

It's simple, let's just see what happens... and I promise when the ineviteable does happen, I won't say I told you so :biggrin:

Diego likes this.
  4. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

No to Klinsmann. He was manager for the 2006 WC, but his biggest asset was motivation - the tactics etc. were done by his assistant, Loew, hence the sustained success. Bayern are scathing of his time there and his record with the US is average. People in Germany have fond memories of 2006, but they were bemused by the links to the England job.

5. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

One thing we can probably agree on Trebs : for all the ( correct ) about the lack of development of good English players, the lack of development of good English managers hurts us just as much and is just as damning.

Treble likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Correct what :bandit:

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Eh??

Did you not watch the Euro's that finished a mere couple of weeks ago?

Won by Portugal? Playing functional football based on a team and not individuals. With an old school manager who has never really managed at the very top?

That Euro's?

And do I need to mention Greece...............................?

What Allardyce will bring is absolutely perfect for tournament football.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    diegocosta197 and Christiansmith like this.
  8. diegocosta197

diegocosta197 Member

Couldn't agree more!

He's clearly lifted spirits up of the team in Sunderland. What an improvement he's made there. Lets just hope they can bring in a new manager to keep the changes on the up!

Be real. Can you imagine Woy Hodgson motivating you? Me neither!

Come on Big Sam!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
  9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

This.

Hodgson failed not because he is English but because he is just an incompetent old useless git. If he couldn't pull the wool over the eyes of even the RS then he must be really ****.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
  10. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Dear God <doh>

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

What a sad tale this one is! FA is a joke!

12. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Roll out the usual 3rd string names again - Pardew and co. Latest betting showing Gareth Southgate as the favourite followed by Steve Bruce and Glen Hoddle - the cream of international talent

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  13. Red Hadron Collider

You'll find out soon <laugh>

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I actually think England could really do with fresh young manager like Gareth Southgate. Someone that can connect to the players. All the other names are just names. If Southgate can progress from U21 ideas, I think he would do well.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't think he's mentally cut out for it. It's the poisoned chalice of football management, completely thankless. I can't see Southgate coping with that.

Which ever way you look at it, Allardyce was set up. The fact he was greedy and stupid enough to go for it and completely deserves what he got doesn't remove the fact he was set up.
    The press are horrible. They do not support the England manager, ever, and will look for a flaw or angle from the word go.

That said, someone hast have a go and my own personal opinion is the best man for the job is Wenger, once this season is over.

The right age, not over the hill by any means, fresh from the premier league and a great manager.
    Perfect.

In the meantime, give Southgate a crack.

We must not, under any circumstances, pick one of the other 'old school' English heads being bandied about like Pardew and Redknapp. They're just another Allardyce waiting to happen.

cytrax likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I agree that Allardyce must hold himself completely accountable. BUT my goodness, the press! They are the worst of the kind. It really has become extremely toxic dealing with them. And they call that investigative journalism? Very sad press culture. Entrapment by the press whose sole reason for it is to generate sales should be illegal.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sadly true. In the absence of any real hope of England success, the press will gleefully continue to encourage England failure and scandal purely to sell a few more of their dying media.

Although perhaps rather than blaming the press the ultimate blame should fall at the feel of the intellectually sub par individuals who continue to lap up such scandal and failure with a sense of glee. If no one spent so much time and effort focusing on England, the players and the manager, the press would have no option but to move on.

Agree with this - Wenger has proven in the last few years that whilst he still struggles to get a consistent PL run going he does manage to perform well in knockout competitions.

The only real question is whether he will break his Arsenal contract, potentially throwing away the highest level of job security in the game, to take on a poisoned chalice.

18. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I actually suspect there has been some long-standing bad blood between Fat Sam and certain sections of the press. I don't think this 'sting' operation focussed specifically on him, but rather he got a mention along the way and the Telegraph happily homed in on him as the most high-profile figure in what seems to be a largely EFL based enquiry.

However they were solicited, the opinions and views he gave were his own and for him to denigrate his predecessor having managed the England side for only one match was a particularly low blow. he has been exposed for what he always was - a wheeler-dealer who has sacrificed many principles throughout his career in order to make even more money. FFS - isn't £3 million a year enough!!

19. Red Hadron Collider

Agree with Wenger, Rufflad. Not that I'm arsed about England FC. Only England cricket <ok>