1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic BIG BROTHER

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Nov 29, 2016.

1. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

Hi Stumpy,

As well as the links Phil has given, you can have a look at these, to give you some insight:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

http://getgnulinux.org/windows/

Also http://distrowatch.com/ down the right hand side is the list of distros with page hits.

I started off trying loads of different ones - Mandrake, Red Hat, knoppix, Suse, Fedora, PCLinuxos amongst others. I finally settled on Debian and it`s derivatives. Ubuntu then Mint, which I`ve been using since Betty (Mint 2). Recently I`ve been using Peppermint 7 mainly because my Laptop is quite old and Peppermint is a bit lighter than Mint so is just a little bit easier on the system.

I would say have a look at the sites Phil has mentioned then make your mind up which is (or seems) to be the one for you and give it a try. If it`s not for you try another one. That`s the advantage with Linux if you don`t like one then try another one, at no cost to you.

My personal preference would be to give Mint a go then Peppermint then Ubuntu. I put Mint first because you can get everything working straight out of the box, whereas with Ubuntu they make a very big point of not including extras that might be against licensing restrictions in certain parts of the world. Peppermint is a lightweight option without all the applications that come with Mint. Peppermint is designed to be used in the cloud as well as locally. It installs without Office, cd/dvd burner software but these are easily installed via Package manager.

That`s the next point. Software is installed via Synaptic Package Manager, updates are installed via the Update Manager. Safe and sound management without any iffy downloads.

Stumpy and DragonPhilljack like this.
  2. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Another interesting option that I down loaded some months back but have not tested yet is ElementaryOS, the website link is below, looks quite a good clean OS with a touch of Apple to it:

Link: https://elementary.io

3. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

I should add that although I have now gone over to Peppermint, if for whatever reason I need to have a go on Mint again, then I`ve backed up the last configuration so it`s only a case of booting FSArchiver and reinstalling Mint. Easy Peasy.

4. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

That`s the joy of it, so much choice. Don`t like one, try another.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  5. swanee

swanee Well-Known Member

Really good support pages there.

6. DragonPhilljack

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Great stuff, thanks for the advice Swanee <ok> Looks like I got a bit of reading to catch up on. So sick of my slow needy PC demanding my attention all the time.

Thanks again but watch this space as I'm bound to be back after I cock it all up.

8. DragonPhilljack

Why I went over to Apple back in 2013, is I could see all this happening, and I did some research on Apple and they have a far different attitude to their customer and end user than Microsoft and Bill Gates, here's the final paragraph of Apple's end user agreement:

"Finally, I want to be absolutely clear that we have never worked with any government agency from any country to create a backdoor in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed access to our servers. And we never will.

Our commitment to protecting your privacy comes from a deep respect for our customers. We know that your trust doesn’t come easy. That’s why we have and always will work as hard as we can to earn and keep it."

Tim Cook
    CEO, Apple Inc.

It's true that I have 'Muti Boot' machines that are Apple (Mac/Macbook Pro) that have Windows (Bootcamp) on them, mainly for backward compatibility with some important programs (Paintshop Pro being one) but I rarely use windows in general use, it is mostly OSX and Linux.

Since dumping Microsoft I have never looked back, Apple's update system is 1000% better than Microsoft, and the security of the OS streets ahead of Microsoft, it's been a hassle free delight these last 3 years, and I cannot see myself going back to Microsoft, they have never had the end user in their thoughts, their current development pathway is to force people to accept their chase to copy Google Android, in a very poor way might I add, they ditched the start menu, only to have to bring it back because of outrage from customers, yet their software is always being pumped out before it is fit for purpose, they don't really care what damage they do to customers hard drives and data.

The amount of time wasted maintaing windows for me is a thing of the past, and the current revelations regarding Microsoft spying is no surprise, and proof of the contempt for their end user, that's why I give not a second thought to reverse engineering any of their software, I have not the slightest respect for their end user licence either.

I hope this thread will inform to the realities of Windows and Microsoft..................<ok>

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Stumpy likes this.
  9. DragonPhilljack

That will be Microsoft and Windows for you..............<laugh>

Stumpy likes this.
  10. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Phil <ok>

DragonPhilljack likes this.

11. DragonPhilljack

I completed a Microsoft MCSE course about 10 years back in Gorseinon college, just to get to understand the OS, plus I needed something challenging and different, looking back it was a complete wast of time............<ok>

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016