1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

(BBC Solent on no Dean Ricahrds tribute) Did anyone else notice...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by RickieLambertsGoldenBoot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

I would like to start by saying good win last night. Bring on Boscombe ;)

Like others, I was suprised that there was no Dean Richards minute silence/applause at the beginning of yesterdays game. But after that I thought nothing of it, just moved on to enjoying and looking forward to the game.

On the way home whilst listening to BBC Radio Solent they brought up the topic of no Dean Richards tribute and all the 'panel' so to speak, were saying how shocking it was that there wasn't one.

After that, within minutes there were tons of texts flooding in saying the same thing. I will be honest and say that it is a shock that he passed away at such a young age, but they did a great tribute at Wolves at the weekend. We had Richards close friend, and ex-Saint James Beattie there and Claus Lundekvam there representing our club and giving a send off to him.

My point is that I think there was only a high flow of texts after BBC Solent panel spoke about it. In other words, maybe BBC Solent were provoking a reaction.

After noticing there was no tribute at the beginning like I said I got on with the game. I didn't lose sleep over it etc... And I think that a lot of Saints fans thought the same as me until BBC Solent said something about it...

Sorry if not very well worded but sometimes hard to get point accross without trying to be disrespectful...

Thanks for reading.

COYR!

2. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

As the club didn't not make there own tribute at St Marys at the Swindon Fixture, hours after the announcement ...I did think they would have done something for this fixture.

IMO I disagree with you that BBC Solent were provoking, I think they just stated the obvious and therefore were taking the stance that a death of a former player you would think the Club would have their own tribute.

Disappointing.

Nice to see the fans hadn't forgot - still chanting his name again!

3. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

I agree it is a disgrace that he had two paragraphs written about him, and no match tribute.

It's very simple to do and requires nothing but respect for one minute.

I don't think many people would have complained big-time if BBC Solent hadn't said anything. When they said it, it encouraged more people to hit out...

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I think this is a difficult one though. It is not straight forward.
    Although to be fair I did expect to "do our bit" before the game on Tuesday.
    You have to admit there was a very good and public tribute to him at Wolves. Also remember it is a while now perhaps to be paying tributes. (Although not so long in reality) The family will have began their closure by now and another tribute just reopens old wounds. Also the club were well represented at the wolves tribute as well.

5. KingslandSFCMobileTuckShop

Totally agreed, but it was nice to hear the fans do their bit<applause>

6. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Yes I was surprised that no attempt was made but I suspect that Saturdays events covered the event quite adequately, too much time had lapsed, he will feature in our next Saints Day event which is dedicated to all of our lost friends.

7. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Yes, surprising, but I don't think it was a disgrace. The club were represented at Wolves, but I guess that yesterday was the fans chance to show their respects, which many did with the singing.